Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Who's got a HSGI Suregrip? Sizing & other questions.

:

Gear Discussion

Old April 30th, 2014, 01:59   #1
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
Who's got a HSGI Suregrip? Sizing & other questions.

Hey so I just picked up a HSGI Suregrip/cobra setup direct from HSGI but I have a feeling it might be a tad too small...

I ordered the 30.5" Suregrip and the medium belt and I've got about 6-7 inches of space between the belt. Now I did gain some weight (planning to hit the gym again ASAP) and I think I've got a 32-33" waist at the moment (AKA, I got lazy and fat... lol) but I'm aiming to get back to a slim 28-30". If I get back into shape I'm thinking the belt will fit pretty well as its just a tad tight at the moment over a t-shirt.

I'm thinking about sending the belt back to them to exchange one size up as they sent ALL of my TACO's in the wrong colour after I clearly specified what colour I wanted everything to be in so I'll be trying to get someone at HSGI to fix that... but either way I'll be sending something back to them.

Anyone else run a Suregrip with a waist size around 30-32"? What size belt did you get and how does it fit? The next size up is the Large Cobra belt and the 35.5" Suregrip but I'm not sure how much space there would be between the belt on a 30" waist so I'm a little wary about going up a size. Would like to get around a 2" space between the belt.

Also, how high/low do you guys wear your belts? I've tried slightly above the hips and the holster position I have for my secondary feels too high, on/slightly below hips feels ok but I think I'd need a larger belt for that...

One last thing, is it just me or is the 30.5" Suregrip sorta lacking in real estate? I can fit two pistol taco's, one rifle taco, a dump pouch and a holster on a molle adapter but if I wanted to put on a bleeder/misc pouch I'm kinda short on space...

Thanks for the help guys!

Beta678

Last edited by beta678; April 30th, 2014 at 02:19..
beta678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:24   #2
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
I just spent a ton on my HSGI setup, courtesy of DSTactical <3

I was 32-34 before, slimmed down to 28, now I'm about 28-29, depends on the styling of the pants, can go up to 30.

I got the smallest one, 30.5 - Right off the bat I 'll tell you, if you want more molle space, go ahead and return it for a medium. My buddy runs a Medium, but I haven't compared how much more space he has. If Iwas to run the medium I think the molle part would be to much, and cover my belt buckle, lol.

My first order I had just got the inner belt, but then I opted out on my second order for the cobra 1.75.

Mine sits above my hip bone, it feels weird at first, and you don't know if it's supposed to be super tight or what not. I had this issue at first, but after a game, I got it all comfortable and it worked very well.

I would suggest wearing what you'd wear (BDU) place on your vest and what not, and then putting the belt on, and adjusting it based on your walking/running/couching/proning exercises to see how you like it.

Now you mention it.. I should really install my mag-net and fourth taco @_@ #lazy#hatemaliceclips

Pistol tacos are waste of space imo. You should of got the 1+1 or 2+1 (Rifle+pistol), I think you can attach the pistol to your rifle taco easily though. I run all X2R's. Bleeder/Holster could be mounted on your 6094, or vest if you use one. You just need to play around with your setup.

Edit:

Dat beer gut

Last edited by BioRage; April 30th, 2014 at 09:29..
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:59   #3
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Well... facepalm... I'm a 13 minute drive from DSTactical... Guess I'll drop by and check out some gear (need more GEARZ!) and maybe try on the Medium Suregrip for sizing.

I surprisingly, still haven't picked up any BDU's yet... I'll see how the belt fits over a hardshell and maybe adjust the inner belt sizing for that, although I'm sorta on the end of the velcro adjustment... SO MUCH FATS...

Hows the Mag Net pouch? I was sorta reluctant to get one since I thought the netting would catch on stuff (and it's kinda big) so I picked up a TT FL roll up dump pouch and cheapie condor roll up. Loving the Tactical tailor dump pouch but sadly they don't make it in highlander... though am tempted to just change it all back to Multicam and call it a day... Kryptek gear is starting to get annoying to find...

Sorta agree about the pistol pouches but I don't really want to run the 1+1 rifle & pistol (not sure why), might swap the single rifle for a double taco and run 3 taco's on a Banshee for a 5+2 & loaded rifle & pistol setup for a total of 6&3 mag capacity.

PS. LOL You hit it on the mark for the beer gut... 6 months in Manhatten living a block away from a super market with a Beer World that had $11.99 choose your own 6 pack beer deal with beer from around the world makes any skinny asian fat in no time...
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:14   #4
BioRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta678 View Post
Well... facepalm... I'm a 13 minute drive from DSTactical... Guess I'll drop by and check out some gear (need more GEARZ!) and maybe try on the Medium Suregrip for sizing.

I surprisingly, still haven't picked up any BDU's yet... I'll see how the belt fits over a hardshell and maybe adjust the inner belt sizing for that, although I'm sorta on the end of the velcro adjustment... SO MUCH FATS...

Hows the Mag Net pouch? I was sorta reluctant to get one since I thought the netting would catch on stuff (and it's kinda big) so I picked up a TT FL roll up dump pouch and cheapie condor roll up. Loving the Tactical tailor dump pouch but sadly they don't make it in highlander... though am tempted to just change it all back to Multicam and call it a day... Kryptek gear is starting to get annoying to find...

Sorta agree about the pistol pouches but I don't really want to run the 1+1 rifle & pistol (not sure why), might swap the single rifle for a double taco and run 3 taco's on a Banshee for a 5+2 & loaded rifle & pistol setup for a total of 6&3 mag capacity.

PS. LOL You hit it on the mark for the beer gut... 6 months in Manhatten living a block away from a super market with a Beer World that had $11.99 choose your own 6 pack beer deal with beer from around the world makes any skinny asian fat in no time...
haha, yeah man, U.S > Canada for pricing on ale, shizzz.

-_- If you live that close you shoulda just got it from them, they coulda hooked you up really nicely.

If you go just talk to Ali, he's the best ^^ b. Hmm, I picked up a Condor dump pouch (selling it in the classified) and then before I opened it, I was like, well since i'm ordering stuff again, i'll just toss it in.

I'll maybe do a youtube review on it or something. So far looks good, haven't really touched it, or anything. Just been sitting in my gear bag. From the looks of it - yes it looks like it could get caught, but i think you PC/Vest would get caught first before that. The thing I like from it, is the hole you can dump your mags in + you can fit a ton of pmags in there. That, and well, dirt and bbs can just drop out of the holes easily. It folds also, quite nicely, mesh is made out of very nice materialssss. I'll get around to it this week, cleaning my basement /rant.

Check it out when you go to DSTactical, they should have those in stock still. I bought out their OD X2R's though, sorry!

ps. hsgi has kryptek stuff, if that's what you want. Ontario here is mainly woodland/forestry, so i opted out of tan gear now, and into greenish stuffs.

:3

ps You should be able to mount the pistol onto the existing rifle taco if you want.
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:32   #5
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Oh lol, yeah I definitely should've but HSGI had a 15% off sale on FB and they were the only ones with the belt in highlander so I went and ordered it from them at the time. Would've preferred mandrake as its pretty green over here as well but the cool factor drew me in lol.

Definitely will take a look at the Mag-Net at DSTactical, also might just get HSGI to switch my belt from highlander and keep the MC taco's if I see and like the Suregrip in Multicam at DSTactical though.
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:53   #6
MultipleParadox

Just received my Suregrip/Cobra belts from DS last week too
I'm wearing 29-30 pants normally so I got the Small Suregrip, Medium Cobra

I too am thinking it might be a tad bit small, with at least 4-5 inches gap, as I was expecting the end to almost touch

I guess it all depends on how you decide to wear it. I was initially thinking of wearing it on the hips, but might put it a bit higher just over the hips to better support weight.

I think I'm just going to keep those to save on the shipping/waiting hassle anyways

Still trying to figuring out how to setup my pouches and all.

On a side note, I wanted to put my G-Code holster (G18) on the belt but find it to be a bit high and interfering with my carrier that is already high (FirstSpear Strandhogg). Do any of you guys put your pistol directly on the belt? I'm going to have the same issue with long mags I guess ... :/

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:06   #7
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I have my serpa on the condor belt... I have a feeling I might move it back to my leg, sometimes it's a bit hard to find on the belt line or my chest rig keeps bumping it/doesn't have enough clearance. I'll have to run it more as it's a fairly new setup for me.

It might also be because I have a rather lumpy side pocket on the chest rig rig above the pistol, ymmv.

I was strongly considering changing out the condor belt with a suregrip or something better, the g2 battle belt from condor leaves something to be desired.

Last edited by lurkingknight; April 30th, 2014 at 12:10..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:16   #8
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultipleParadox View Post
Just received my Suregrip/Cobra belts from DS last week too
I'm wearing 29-30 pants normally so I got the Small Suregrip, Medium Cobra

I too am thinking it might be a tad bit small, with at least 4-5 inches gap, as I was expecting the end to almost touch

I guess it all depends on how you decide to wear it. I was initially thinking of wearing it on the hips, but might put it a bit higher just over the hips to better support weight.

I think I'm just going to keep those to save on the shipping/waiting hassle anyways

Still trying to figuring out how to setup my pouches and all.

On a side note, I wanted to put my G-Code holster (G18) on the belt but find it to be a bit high and interfering with my carrier that is already high (FirstSpear Strandhogg). Do any of you guys put your pistol directly on the belt? I'm going to have the same issue with long mags I guess ... :/
Yeah, I was hoping for a 1-2" gap with the buckle centered in the gap like in all the photos you see when you google "HSGI battlebelt"...

For me, I've been planning to setup my belt with 2 pistol tacos (10-11 clock position) followed by a rifle taco on the left (9 O'clock) , dump pouch center back/slightly to left (6 O'clock) , and my serpa holster on the right (2:30-3 O'clock). With the belt being a lil'smaller than expected I might have to shift things around bit but that's the general layout planned at the moment, less a misc/bleeder pouch that I'd like to put between the holster and dump pouch if I had space.

Layout would be something similar to the OUB belt in this pic:

Maybe run a drop plate/mount for your holster similar to the one in the pic if the belt position is too high?
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:20   #9
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

my only recommendation with pistol tacos is that you avoid putting them on the front, bending over seems to push the mag out of the taco, even if you have it tightly adjusted. This seems to get worse with the more gut you have. Though this might be avoided if your belt platform is rigid enough, the condor one is not. I think the hsgi is a lot more rigid but since it's a belt and it's wide, it will probably eventually end up bending and working in a bend line in the material.
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:36   #10
airsoftmaniacman

I have a 31-32" waist with a 35" hip. I ordered the 35.5" Suregrip belt and have about 3-4" of space between the ends when buckled up. I also purchased the large cobra belt for it. It fits excellently on me.

You might want to get the larger size if you're about my dimensions.
airsoftmaniacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 13:45   #11
BioRage

The serpas do sit higher then normal, because the belt naturally rests higher then normal belts.

Judging by that picture, he looped it inbetween, and it's not actually on the molle (obvious) so it hangs lower. (OUB Belt) so that's the benefit i see there. With the suregrip no choice but to rest it on the molle. Edit 3: Just noticed - drop plate. good suggestion.

Edit 2: You could technically go through a serpa with the front of the belt, just have the slack more gracious on one side - but then the holster would be right above your crotch.

Edit: Found an old selfie here, (before I got my second order/cobra).

Will take an updated one, need to add +1 X2R Taco, Mag-Net.

@LK I haven't had issues with my X2R's with bending over, they are on my main chest rig, but maybe just pistol tacos :L

Last edited by BioRage; April 30th, 2014 at 13:54..
Old April 30th, 2014, 14:03   #12
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

ive got a suregrip as well, ordered the belt they recommended for my waist. it SEEMS like its a size small but realistically you dont want pouches on your waist, you want them more to the side. so it does its job well, it only looks small.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 15:47   #13
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
@LK I haven't had issues with my X2R's with bending over, they are on my main chest rig, but maybe just pistol tacos :L[/COLOR]
yes the rifle tacos are much more robust. If you look at the way the shock cord is run through a pistol taco vs a rifle, you can see that if you push the bottom of the taco and bent it in half the top half of the front flap will come open a bit when you lever against it from the back(such as bending over). The push from the bottom will just nudge it up far enough that a mag can be pushed/fall out.

The best way to avoid it is to not mount the pistol taco anywhere that will bend or have pressure from below/behind applied. If the mag sat deeper it probably wouldn't happen.

Or I just need to lose weight.
Old April 30th, 2014, 18:38   #14
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Minor update, just came back from DSTactical and its like a candy store full of gear!

So many pouches, rigs, and possibilities... if only I weren't running 5.45 AK mags...

Anyways, they had a bunch of Suregrips there and I tried out the 35.5" belt with a inner duty belt and I had a 1-2" space between the ends (Suregrip went over a shirt, belt, and jeans, so take that into account) so that pretty much means its too big as the ends would overlap once I start exercising and drop the inches. So that pretty much means the 30.5" Suregrip and Medium belt fits fine for ~30" waists. Science.

BELTS!

I was also told that most manufacturers seem to be dropping and discontinuing Kryptek by of the employees I spoke to. Am seriously considering exchanging my highlander belt to MC now... despite its coolness factor.

So tempted to just pick up another Suregrip in MC and some HL pouches instead... Oh and disregard my foot, my Iphone seems to have weird cropping issues...

Solution for sizing issue... start running. lol.

Last edited by beta678; April 30th, 2014 at 18:41..
beta678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 00:08   #15
BioRage

Got pre-occupied with taking photos of my gun and cleaning today.

Will try to get some later on when I set everything up.

DSTACTICAL looks packed! Sweet :3 So better lose weight son.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion