Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Airsoft government?

:

General

Old October 22nd, 2013, 22:48   #1
Sherbert85

Airsoft government?

First, a disclaimer:

THIS THREAD IS NOT INTENDED TO START A WAR!!!

I'm just curious if anybody ever thought about or attempted to create some sort of self-policing airsoft body, the kind that would educate users about the guns, safe handling and transport practices, and provide some kind of system for "registering" or whatever crap. I get really tired of "some idiot with an airsoft gun" stories and wonder how, if it's even possible, to keep the guns out of irresponsible hands while dolling out some stuff for people who have them.

My dream would be "you have to pass an airsoft course" which would both drastically weed out the lazy dumb people and make the world a better place.

Just something to think about.

AGAIN: THIS THREAD IS NOT INTENDED TO START A WAR!!!
Sherbert85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 23:00   #2
BloodSport
Traveling Man

You mean like the information sections here on AsC and the age verification system where we have a database built?
Old October 22nd, 2013, 23:18   #3
Sherbert85

I should clarify, I was thinking of the people who slip through the cracks, not something to replace what already works. How do you deal with the frustration of some kid doing something potentially stupid and dangerous? And how do you limit those people from getting an airsoft in the first place? And how and why did they get it? Those are my big questions. What about an "airsoft license" or something? I know, it sounds retarded, but imagine how many problems you could solve!

Of course it wouldn't be recognized by the government, which is why I pictured a bunch of volunteers or something.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 23:22   #4
Shatter

Send a message via MSN to Shatter
Step 1: Government bans all airsoft gun purchases and transfers

Step 2: Retailers and manufacturers lobby to have an exemption granted to active participants in the hobby

Step 3: Canadian version of UKARA

Basically how you do it, as unfavourable an outcome it is.
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 23:22   #5
Stealthee
a.k.a. cloaked

I think this was talked about here on ASC before and it did not end well.
Stealthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 23:25   #6
Sherbert85

Scratch that. I don't want to start something.

I didn't know the UKARA thing even existed, though. It makes sense that the government would want a regulation system, but I'd be interested to know if it actually did some good.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 23:28   #7
ccyg8774

Quote:
I'm just curious if anybody ever thought about or attempted to create some sort of self-policing airsoft body
You mean ASC?

Quote:
the kind that would educate users about the guns, safe handling and transport practices
You still mean ASC?

Quote:
and provide some kind of system for "registering" or whatever crap.
ASC or any other airsoft related NGOs do not have the legal right of not allowing anyone owing airsoft guns. If you want to convince the federal or provincial government or the RCMP to make a better system to regulate airsoft guns I may be on your side (depends on the possible outcome). But please don't start a organization and call it an airsoft government to do that.

Quote:
I get really tired of "some idiot with an airsoft gun" stories and wonder how, if it's even possible, to keep the guns out of irresponsible hands while dolling out some stuff for people who have them.
Me too, but different organizations have different powers.
"you have to pass an airsoft course or you can't own one" that is what the government can say.
"you have to pass an airsoft course or we won't play with you and you won't be able to buy from us" that is what a group of assembled enthusiasts and volunteers can say.

Last edited by ccyg8774; October 22nd, 2013 at 23:36..
ccyg8774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 23:36   #8
Sherbert85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccyg8774 View Post
ASC or any other airsoft related NGOs do not have the legal right of not allowing anyone owing airsoft guns. If you want to convince the federal or provincial government or the RCMP to make a better system to regulate airsoft guns I may be on your side (depends on the possible outcome). But please don't start a organization and call it an airsoft government to do that.
NO. I'm not doing anything. I was really honestly just curious and have neither time or energy to engage something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccyg8774 View Post
Me too, but different organizations have different powers.
"you have to pass an airsoft course or you can't own one" that is what the government can say.
"you have to pass an airsoft course or we won't play with you and you won't be able to buy from us" that is what a group of assembled enthusiast can say.
And I get that too. But most retailers are enthusiasts themselves.

Anyway, hitting eject before this gets messy. I had no idea it was that complex.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:17   #9
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

The government creating a regulatory body to handle airgun legislation. Oh wait, the Canadian firearms program and the RCMP.GRC.

Maybe we should just spend millions if dollars registering every airgun in Canada? No?

The best hope we could have, is if the largest majority of the community started a registered league or leagues, with registered teams and players. Every event is public and sanctioned, and backyard airsoft was criminalized. Basically no one is guilty in Canada until they commit a crime, and an idiot is an idiot. Some dumbass is just as likely to be a dumbass behind the wheel, or with a real firearm, and airsoft is no exception.

What can you do? Don't let jackoffs on your team, or in your games, and make them known to the community. Mentor new players, and set good examples. Or, you can invest multi millions of dollars to start a sanctioned league or association with a strict regulatory body, hack all suspected airsofter's Facebook and social media accounts, while simultaneously assassinating all of the airsofters who play/own outside of your organization. It's perfect!

Don't worry, everyone asks questions, but flame wars are the only way to leave people well done.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:46   #10
ARC-74
Can't Aim worth a damn!! old lady gives me heck for missing the toilet all the time.

Tokyo Marui for president! ........oh wait, never mind....
Old October 23rd, 2013, 13:50   #11
Petro

Yes, because more government is exactly what we need right now....
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 13:50   #12
Danke

I would like to be a Senator in the airsoft government. I promise to behave.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 13:56   #13
Danke

And it would be parties based on your preferences.

For example; the gas gun party is currently putting increasingly high pressure on the electrics while the clear springer party has self destructed.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 14:09   #14
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
And it would be parties based on your preferences
Really? I don't think it's appropriate to have a party called the Gear Whores. On a side note, I'm joining the elitists, .....I mean republicans.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 14:19   #15
Chillyrabbit

Joking aside.

Cost probably isn't worth it.

55600 registered accounts, assume that half are AV'ed and active: 27800

I don't see the money for a Canadian style UKARA.
Chillyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General