Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

"Honey Badger"-Like rifle

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:44   #1
K3vX

"Honey Badger"-Like rifle

WARNING, THIS IS BECOMING A REALLY LONG POST.

( First, I know that the integrated suppressor part has been discussed already recently. That is in fact where I learned about this rifle. )

So, I've recently seen this rifle and there's something about it that may change how I usually view ARs. While I have no plan on purchasing it right now, I'd like to consider how I could build something that is close to it so I can make my mind. I've done some search, but I'd love to hear what you think about what I'll say in this thread, and what I've already found.

I know nothing about the AR platform, so I am insecure and need your opinions!

Also, keep in mind I want something lookalike, not an exact copy. In desert/tan/whatever, if possible.

REFERENCE IMAGES:

I've searched around the forum here and I found two thread that can be useful: This thread and this thread.

----------------------------------------------

I don't even know where to start. I don't know if I should build it from scratch or buy a M4 and change everything on it.

Since the Honey Badger is Desert/Dark Earth, I'd need a base M4 that is Desert, if there is such a thing. I want it full metal, and want a good one. Right now, since I'm only planning, budget is unlimited, but I don't want to overspend just for the sake of spending.

If building from scratch is cheaper, I'd need a good metal desert receiver, a gearbox, and every parts that are not mentioned in the build.

This is where I need the most help. A lot of this thread is rambling and asking for opinions, but if I want this rifle to work, I need everything and not just parts, and I really need help to figure it out.

Put simply, should I find a tan/de rifle and swap everything on it, or is building from scratch better? Can you point me what and where I should look? Brand?

Visually, the "signature" of this weapon is the slim handguard and big suppressor in front. There are two variation, but the one I prefer is the shorter handguard one. The handguard is not really round, more like an octogon. The top rail is flush with the receiver rail.
I don't know which length I should look at, but close to 7 inches looks good.
There are a few model that could do the job.

The first one is the Gemtech Talon system, as proposed by Kos-Mos on another thread. I would need one of a good quality, one that I can remove all the rails (and leave the top one). It seems that this model is the best one for the look, but I don't know where to find it, and a lot of variations either have fixed rails or are too think and ruin the look. I found an image at WGCShop, but it says Discontinued..

--------

Second, there is the Madbull JP handguard. Similar, but rounder. The only part I don't like about it is the way it attaches to the receiver. There is a tapered part at the end that really ruins the look. I could hovever live with it if the other option is impossible.

As with the other one, this one has a rail that is flush with the receiver, which is a good part of the look. I know eHobby has it, and probably other retailers too.

--------

Third option is the Madbull PRI Gen3 Round Handguard (god do they make EVERY handguard??). Looks good. Attaches in a wierd way, but I prefer it to the second one. Unfortunately, the top rail is no flush with the receiver, at least not without modifications.

Maybe a careful dremel on the top of the handguard and a appropriate rail could save it, but stock it's not looking good. eHobby has it in black, but I've seen it around the web in tan.

The second thing looking unique from a standard M4 is the stock. Now, I am NOT looking for a retractable stock like that, because they either don't exist or I don't like the look of them, but I'd like to have something that looks similar. As always, I've searched a little and found a few option.

In fact, I've found a lineup of stocks from Madbull (AGAIN) that I like.

I really love the Ultra Lite or Socom one, but I like them all, but the Skeleton would need the lower part removed. I don't know how to mount them (I guess the appropriate buffer tube), and they can't hold any battery unless I'm mistaken.

There's also the ICS CXP retractable stock, but it doesn't look right for me.

For the shorter outer barrel, there are a few options. Depending on the length of the handguard and the length of the suppressor, I'd need around 4 to 6 inch outer barrel. L473ncy gives a few good options on this post.

Suppressor, I want something a little "fat". I'm thinking Gemtech G5, but it's a reference and not the exact model. In fact, I want something as wide as possible for the chosen handguard, so I'll see when this part is solved.

For reference, the G5 is 38mm wide.

That's pretty much it for now. I'll wait to see your comment and adjust my initial plan.
Thanks for reading
K3vX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:30   #2
m102404
Tys

I think the Talon handguard is a pretty close fit. The JP rifle handguard kit is very good....but not the same visually and it's pretty slm so there might be issue with getting a can down in it.

The only thing that reminds me of that stock is a "tanker" style stock. There might be new variations out there....I'm a bit dated on that stuff.

Good luck with your build
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 17:48   #3
K3vX

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
I think the Talon handguard is a pretty close fit. The JP rifle handguard kit is very good....but not the same visually and it's pretty slm so there might be issue with getting a can down in it.
I actually really like the slim aspect, and a suppressor can be modified to fit (crudely, but hidden below the actual handguard.

Anyone else can help me? Still need to figure where to start, base gun and/or from scratch.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 18:32   #4
Drake
E-01

Reminds me

Another factor to consider, are you planning to make this an AEG or GBBR?
Old April 23rd, 2013, 18:52   #5
K3vX

AEG. I've seen that rifle too, but it's real steel as well, I think.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 22:12   #6
K3vX

Still don't know where to start.

Image done in pimpmygun:

(I'm guessing Dark Earth as a color)
WHAT I WOULD NEED:

- Dark Earth/Tan Receiver (Good quality, metal)
- Dark Earth/Tan Pistol Grip (Could be magpul)
- Olive Drab? Or Tan Madbull Gemtech Talon OR Madbull JP Handguard, 7inch
- Appropriate suppressor
- Madbull ACE Stock (Can paint the non-soft parts)

How can I make this work? How would you do it? I'm lost.
Old April 24th, 2013, 23:16   #7
▼Stripes▲

A trick I use for an integrated suppressor look is to use those cheap ones from airsoft parts that have both threads. You can unscrew one end off and mount it on backwards so it goes over your barrel. You'll have to be mindful of your handguard's inner diameter for this though.
▼Stripes▲ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:46   #8
Shifty-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ▼Stripes▲ View Post
A trick I use for an integrated suppressor look is to use those cheap ones from airsoft parts that have both threads. You can unscrew one end off and mount it on backwards so it goes over your barrel. You'll have to be mindful of your handguard's inner diameter for this though.
yea thats the problem, most placdes dont list the specs of the inner diameter on rail systems. Are you talking about the king arms "lightweight" silencers they have there? thats a cool idea about flipping it around and putting it over the outer barrel. then it stays the same general length as well. it must be totally hollow inside for it to fit?
Anyone know of some handguards/supressors that fit together? (with the supressor inside of the handguard) i like the madbull TRX rail but i think its too skinny.

Last edited by Shifty-C; May 4th, 2013 at 10:51..
Shifty-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:15   #9
▼Stripes▲

No not that one, The panther armory ones I they used to be called Spartan doctrine I think.
▼Stripes▲ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:34   #10
K3vX

For the silencers, AirsoftParts.ca has them and a good selection.

But, the way I see the rifle, the silencer needs to be beefier. The skinny silencer would look off. I like the look or the TRX 7" rail honestly, and from pictures it looks like you could fit a silencer like you described easily. The bigger silencer might not fit, but it could be worth a shot.

Unfortunately for me, the project is postponed because I spent too much, and my girl is not happy
Old May 8th, 2013, 13:12   #11
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

This build isn't very difficult especially if you're not looking for the retractable stock.

Troy VTAC handguard
ACE stock
G&P tan receiver
Magpul MOE grip in DE
Short outer barrel with suppressor
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 18:49   #12
holybatman

Honey Badger Inspired Project -Warning Picture Heavy!

Here is my Honey Badger inspired build. No room for a battery in the stock or handguard so will need a PEQ wired to the front. Mainly a display piece for my airsoft collection so prefer a clean look for show.

Project was based on the following components:

- VFC Stinger
- Madbull Daniel Defense & Vicker Tactical Receiver
- PDI Patriot Front End & rail
- Amipoint T-1 Replica
- Dboys KAC type front sight and Real Steel KAC rear iron sight
- Mapgul MOE grip and short mag
- Spartan Doctrine fat can (40mm diameter x 200 mm length)

A shout out and thank you to Jimmy at In My Sights Airsoft in Warren, NJ! Did a fantastic job on my honey badger inspired project. Took him a lot of hours and creativity to finalize the rifle and I could not be more pleased.

Don't ask him to make you one, he will tell you that this was a project from hell, in terms of blood, sweat and tears! ; )

Last edited by holybatman; January 11th, 2014 at 20:49.. Reason: adding some more pics
holybatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 19:46   #13
K3vX

Hey, that's a very nice rifle. Glad to see someone finally went over the planning phase and actually did it. Here, have my like.
Old January 11th, 2014, 20:15   #14
holybatman

Thanks this post helped me a lot to evaluate parts for the build. I purchased a Madbull VTAC 7" rail and the Talon Kit but liked the PDI Patriot Kit better as the inner diameter of the rail was wide enough to fit a 40mm diameter barrel extension. Now I need to figure out my next project to get that rare Talon Kit installed!
Old January 11th, 2014, 20:51   #15
holybatman

A couple of more pics ...

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion