Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

My Son, Airsoft

:

General

Old February 20th, 2014, 22:52   #1
HadoLord

My Son, Airsoft

Hey everyone, I'm new, my name is Paul.

I joined to forums just to ask some questions.

You see, my son wants to play Airsoft, but he's not really the "happy-go-lucky" shooter, he just likes target practice. He keeps telling me, "Guns should be used like sports, like archery." He is actually very mature, he is 12, but he acts like he is 18. All he wants to do is target practice, but we live in a suburban neighborhood, where should I let him do target practice with, well, you know, damaging the house...

Thank you!

-Paul
HadoLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 22:57   #2
Deadpool

You should go for air rifles then, much better for target shooting then airsoft.

Canadian Airgun Forum

Vérificateur d'age Mauricie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
So you're saying we cannot engage in a hobby once we are older?

Children these days.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 23:04   #3
HackD

Got a basement/crawlspace .. something that'll give you 20-30 feet?

That's what i did in my youth.. 30+ years ago now. Break-action single shot .22 pellet gun, using layered styrofoam insulation as a back-stop.. those pellets are still embedded within that wall to this day. The neighbors had no reason to complain about that..

Airsoft isn't all that accurate enough to be used for marksmanship... not without huge $$ being spent anyway.. and it'll always be inferior to a reasonable priced, rifled-barrel pellet airgun.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 02:08   #4
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

And eye protection. Good eye protection for anyone involved.

Get a good chunk of tree stump, and set up in your basement. Hang tinfoil barbecue plates on the stump as targets.
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:38   #5
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Definatly air guns.

You will be disapointed when your 100-500$ airsoft break for no aparent reason.
Pellet rifles are more precise, powerfull and durable.

Eye protection and adult supervision will be required, even if you think your son is mature.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:48   #6
j_march

It's not to say that he wouldn't have a blast shooting full auto hitting little targets(supervised) with an airsoft gun. But when you mention the 500$ gun breaking for no apparent reason.....ya then pellet guns really become the better option.
Old February 21st, 2014, 20:59   #7
HadoLord

Well, my basement is actually quite small, not suited for pellet gun shooting, especially for misses, and breakables. There's not much areas I can set up for my son, as careful as he can be, it's still a small space. Is there any airsoft ranges I can go to?
Old February 21st, 2014, 21:26   #8
HeadlessChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadoLord View Post
Well, my basement is actually quite small, not suited for pellet gun shooting, especially for misses, and breakables. There's not much areas I can set up for my son, as careful as he can be, it's still a small space. Is there any airsoft ranges I can go to?
AFAIK, there isn't really such a thing as a range for airsoft shooting but it helps if we know where you're posting from. Some airsoft specific fields do have a shooting range like Ultimate Airsoft. I will say this though, avoid shooting anywhere exposed that allows for soccer moms to see you. Last thing you want is having SWAT busting through your newly build wooden fence which is why generally people will tell you to restrict your shooting to basements or your garage.
"Hey I'm the first one to say its a great country but its a straaaaange culture. This is a place where gun store owners are given a list of stolen credit cards but not a list of CRIMINALS and MANIACS. And now they're thinking of banning toy guns...AND THEY'RE GONNA KEEP THE F**KING REAL ONES!"
-George Carlin 1937 - 2008 (RIP buddy)
HeadlessChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 21:34   #9
HadoLord

Alright, thank you guys, I think I will end this thread now. I'm going to wait 'till he is 18, and we'll see. Thank you!
Old February 21st, 2014, 21:41   #10
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

If you're really that urban/suburban, and you cannot use a pellet gun outside in you're own yard safely (check your local by-laws), then either take your son out to the wilderness (not a park, no people around), or get him into a class at a gun range, and buy him a .22. It sounds to me like you and your son could both use some firearms education; I say this with the deepest respect of course. If your knowledge is that limited on guns, which isn't uncommon, then likely he may need a better place to use guns, and definitely safety training. A youth and his parents can shoot real firearms at a gun range/club, and find it quite a rewarding and bonding experience.

- Airsoft facilities do not have ranges, at least not what you're looking for. Also airsoft guns are not generally regarded as being accurate without great cost and knowledge.

- If you do not have an appropriate outdoor or indoor ability in your own home, then you'll need to seek an appropriate outdoor setting for pellet guns, airsoft, etc. Either way, all local laws must be observed, all appropriate safety precautions must be dealt with, and there must be "zero" risk to people, animals, property, or environment.

- Talk to your local gun range/club for options. Weapons, courses, safety, and ownership.

- Where does the interest in shooting come from? Airsoft usually translates into shooting at people, in an appropriate setting. I definitely recommend a gun safety course for your son, he may enjoy it.

- a gun license, a .22 rifle, headphones, and a few days at the range, likely cost less than an "accurate" airsoft gun.

Last edited by Ricochet; February 21st, 2014 at 21:43..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 22:07   #11
HackD

Another option for your son, is the Cadet movement.

While i understand that it has been watered down significantly since my involvement in the first half of the 80's, they do still have the opportunity for 'range activities', mainly the Army cadets with pellet rifles. In my day with the Air Cadets, it was Lee Enfield's re-chambered and re-barreled to .22 in the basement of a local high school with a range - and the very occasional opportunity to go to an outdoors range with somewhat battered FNC1A1's.

There are (or were, in my memory) many more life-experience benefits to joining the Cadet movement, even if it has been watered down by the demands of Suzy-Soccer mom's everywhere nowadays.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 22:34   #12
Juke16

The cadet movement has been extremely watered down, firearms familiarization is no longer a staple of the programs and is usually limited to shooting about once a year unless you get into the marksmanship courses. One route I'd recommend would be to get an air rifle and join an air rifle club instead, from there you can get some familiarization and experience with firearms and possibly even go to compete (perhaps we could even watch your son at the Olympics someday eh?).
Juke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 00:44   #13
HadoLord

Hello everyone, thank you for your replies.

I am actually in Ontario, around the Markham area, can you get me some places? I can go as far as Barrie, maybe even farther. I don't have any firearms knowledge actually, and I would like to know more about this programs.

Thank you!
Old February 22nd, 2014, 04:23   #14
KenTsui

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
Another option for your son, is the Cadet movement.

While i understand that it has been watered down significantly since my involvement in the first half of the 80's, they do still have the opportunity for 'range activities', mainly the Army cadets with pellet rifles. In my day with the Air Cadets, it was Lee Enfield's re-chambered and re-barreled to .22 in the basement of a local high school with a range - and the very occasional opportunity to go to an outdoors range with somewhat battered FNC1A1's.

There are (or were, in my memory) many more life-experience benefits to joining the Cadet movement, even if it has been watered down by the demands of Suzy-Soccer mom's everywhere nowadays.
+++

I learned about some of the most useful skills in life from Air Cadets that I would never have learned at school. Guns or not, this is a good idea.
Old March 8th, 2014, 01:45   #15
speednut

i say go on the canadian airgun forum , that would be the best bet imo
G&G CM16
WE Glock 17

speednut is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General