Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

IR Lasers & DBAL's at games.

:

Accessories Discussion

Old February 11th, 2013, 11:49   #121
Colin_S

Send a message via MSN to Colin_S Send a message via Skype™ to Colin_S
Hmm on second though I don't think I'm going to add more fuel to the fire...

Others covered what I said in a more elegant manner.

Team GHOSTS - Fides et Amicitia
Blog: http://www.colinsun.com
G-45

Last edited by Colin_S; February 11th, 2013 at 11:58..
Colin_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 11:54   #122
Danke

I don't think there's any debate about a proper laser being safe. They're used in the military for training and for those outside the military it all seems like shooting guns and jumping out of helicopters in reality you have never met a more risk adverse group of people other than maybe your mom.

I think the fair debate sits on the safe rated laser vs. the glut of fake PEQ boxes and scabbed on home made jobs.

We have age verified tags on here and in some cases you can't get invited to a game unless you have one. Why not a Laser rating? It sounds like there a people with test kit on here. Ship the box to a verifier, get it back with a non-transferable card a tag for your profile. Sure it will cost the users a bit but compared to the price of buy for the unit and the NODs it's probably about a set of batteries.

That would he a standard that would help the hosts and they would not have to worry about if someone was going to be injured at their event.
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:01   #123
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I've been toying with the idea of posting up an official breakdown of laser devices used in our community, this concept actually came about from some of the veteran hosts on this site, so that they could better understand the technology being used by players on the field.

In addition to this, it would be quite easy to maintain a list of known users of said devices, kinda like Shado's sniper clinic list. Completely voluntary.. but it would give hosts and other players a general lay of the land as to who is deploying what.
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:04   #124
Danke

That list would help the new guys when they're ready to buy in too.
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:14   #125
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
Gato you sound a bit butt hurt that your commissionaire job isn't working out for you and making you rich while some people have money they can spend on their leisure activities.

I have this odd feeling if the foot was on the other shoe you wouldn't be saying that.

Just like any sport some people have a bit more money to spend on it then others whether it be racing, golf, paintball or shooting. Some people are most defintly not responsible with their money and own 15k worth of gear and have no other assets like a house or car. To each their own but you sound like the kid who got gobots instead of transformers for christmas.
Gobots is boss and, I already have the toys I want/need, I have had since before last June, they simply don't come out to games as that's not what I wanted them for. I'd prefer to not remove the fun for the opposing team or players without NV or lasers.

you telling me transformers is cooler than this?
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified

Last edited by Gato; February 11th, 2013 at 12:16..
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:28   #126
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

As a game host, I have in mind the safety of players

with the proliferation of NVG and Laser tech in games it does raise concerns

the simplest solution is to drop a blanket ban on lasers, this eliminates the problem.

That said, as more and more games move into night time playing, and more people investing int he equipment to exploit that environment as a host you want to build a sandbox that can fit everyone's toys.

My simple solution is. if you intend to use a laser you must prove it's class 1 status, no proof no use.

As a Player, if I don't like what is happening at any particular game I don't go in the first place or I leave when the issue comes up.

The issues with respect to Game balance and the exploitation of technology in the games is of particular concern for me. I've done "low tech" games that excluded all tech, including radios and Flashlights.. I have also done games that were tech heavy.

It's up to the host to take into account the game balance and see to it that advantages of tech are offset with other elements. It's not easy, and is going to get harder as the Tech proliferates.

Right now in the southern Ontario region the issue is particularly acute as a great deal of high tech devices seem to be consolidated in the hands of certain tight groups.

Savvy game hosts have the means and ways to address these issues that can meet the needs of everyone.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 23:42   #127
Kimbo
formerly pivot

Just measure peoples lasers the same way we chrono their guns.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FREE-SHIPPING...ht_2116wt_1397
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 00:38   #128
z0ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
Just measure peoples lasers the same way we chrono their guns.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FREE-SHIPPING...ht_2116wt_1397
Unfortunately it's not a good solution. That device measures from 1mW and upwards in 1mW increments whereas the limit for IR lasers is 0.7mW so not really an ideal measurement device. Lasers start to become unsafe before it will even register a reading.

Also this system operates by sensing temperature so the accuracy of its output will be affected if you run it on a cold vs warm day.

Team GHOSTS G-42
How to fix your WE M4 Mags
z0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:37   #129
Kimbo
formerly pivot

Yes, but it will let you know if a laser is over the field limit.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 12:11   #130
Azathoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
Yes, but it will let you know if a laser is over the field limit.
If i'm not mistaken your argument is invalid. Unless you take the inverse logic. anything that measure over 1mW stays off field. however you end up having a band 0.71-0.99999 mw which is about 50% more powerful than the "eye safe" limit able to be on field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0ng View Post
Unfortunately it's not a good solution. That device measures from 1mW and upwards in 1mW increments whereas the limit for IR lasers is 0.7mW so not really an ideal measurement device. Lasers start to become unsafe before it will even register a reading.

Also this system operates by sensing temperature so the accuracy of its output will be affected if you run it on a cold vs warm day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory

Last edited by Azathoth; February 12th, 2013 at 12:13..
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 13:22   #131
shinigami

Send a message via ICQ to shinigami Send a message via MSN to shinigami Send a message via Skype™ to shinigami
Question Clarify

It's an interesting read. Seems like everyone is arguing in circles. What are the facts? If someone is running an IR lase (real or fake), how can I protect my eyes?

Also I think if a game host says no lasers than that should be honored.
shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 13:33   #132
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami View Post
It's an interesting read. Seems like everyone is arguing in circles. What are the facts? If someone is running an IR lase (real or fake), how can I protect my eyes?

Real Class 1 Lasers with FDA documentation cannot damage your eyes. These are the only lasers that should be allowed on airsoft fields. There is no reason for you to have to protect your eyes.

In my opinion, anyone running undocumented lasers or high power lasers is being criminally negligent.

I have posted a couple of write ups on this. So has a number of other people in this thread.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 14:39   #133
mmmken

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami View Post

If you're actually really worried regardless of the fact that most lasers will be indeed safe out there, I brought up the existence of laser safe goggles previously in this thread. I can't point you in any direction, since they are pretty rare and probably ITAR controlled, but I have a pair of Oakley SI Ballistic Array goggles with three lenses. One of the three is a yellow lens, that I just recently realised was for laser protection.

You can find these goggles for around $150-200+, but I'm not sure where you can get them aside from eBay.
Old February 12th, 2013, 16:58   #134
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmken View Post
If you're actually really worried regardless of the fact that most lasers will be indeed safe out there, I brought up the existence of laser safe goggles previously in this thread. I can't point you in any direction, since they are pretty rare and probably ITAR controlled, but I have a pair of Oakley SI Ballistic Array goggles with three lenses. One of the three is a yellow lens, that I just recently realised was for laser protection.

You can find these goggles for around $150-200+, but I'm not sure where you can get them aside from eBay.
I heard that Oakley Juliets will also stop laser beams. D:

Source:
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 23:16   #135
mmmken

Class 3A and chinese repro lasers ain't got jack on Cyclops. I'm sold!

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion