Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Trigger Finger Placement

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old April 14th, 2011, 23:59   #1
Greyhame888

Trigger Finger Placement

So... This may seem like an odd question, but I'm curious how the rest of you guys approach the issue, or if you had even thought about it before.

Now, this mainly applies to handguns, as most of the issues caused by finger placement are minimized by the tighter control available on a rifle (front grip, shoulder stock, etc).

Now to the issue. Where do you place your trigger finger on the trigger? I'm assuming most of you have never even considered this, but it's an issue that I have actually noticed makes a difference! I recently picked up a HI-CAPA 5.1 Race Gun, and god damn is it ever accurate. I've been doing some accuracy/distance tests, and as weird as it may sound, finger placement matters.

I have found three main options for finger placement. First, using the first joint on your index finger to pull the trigger. Second, using the pad of your first joint to pull the trigger. Thirdly, using the very tip of your finger to pull. Now obviously you want to "squeeze, not pull" but I'm curious to hear a few other people's thought on the issue. I won't post my own observations yet to avoid bias.

Also, if you haven't thought about it before, hopefully I have given you something to consider :P
Greyhame888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 00:01   #2
Jimski

finger tip, but always with gloves.
Old April 15th, 2011, 00:12   #3
Rugger_can

I was taught to use the distal joint (the first joint after your finger tip) crease to squeeze the trigger on a handgun.

And the intermediate Joint (the second crease) for rifle shooting.

Although, one some smaller handguns Ive shot (which is not that many) I even use the intermediate to ensure maximum grip.

Cheers.
Rugger_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:10   #4
Funker-Tactical

Doesn't matter you can read 10 different things from 10 different experts I'm kinda getting sick of it arguments such as pad of the finger makes it more sensitive to trigger pull but increase the chance of flinching because it's easier to push the trigger down and to the side the also say that it's easier to shoot faster with the pad of your finger . Personally you want to keep your finger on the trigger between shots for increased accuracy you dont want the trigger slap effect.

Last edited by Funker-Tactical; April 15th, 2011 at 11:18..
Funker-Tactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:23   #5
abbadon

Just do what is comfortable for you, if you spend all your time trying to make sure you have the "proper" part of your finger on the trigger (based on what other people think is their expert opinion) then your not going to be paying attention to what is going on. Same goes for how you carry your gun, move your feet, firing position you take. If you just want to look like someone from a magpul vid, then more power to you. But eventually you will learn what works for you, and do things that way.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:55   #6
m102404
Tys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_kristy View Post
Doesn't matter you can read 10 different things from 10 different experts I'm kinda getting sick of it arguments such as pad of the finger makes it more sensitive to trigger pull but increase the chance of flinching because it's easier to push the trigger down and to the side the also say that it's easier to shoot faster with the pad of your finger . Personally you want to keep your finger on the trigger between shots for increased accuracy you dont want the trigger slap effect.
LOL...the beauty of asking for opinions, eh?

There's some common "rules of thumb" adopted for different shooting disciplines...each with their own pros/cons. Most of it based on common sense...then taken to a retardedly over analyzed level just for the hell of it.

In general, the pad of the finger is used for precision work as it is the most sensitive part of the finger. (d'uh)

Hooking your finger around the trigger by using the joint...is more secure/positive since your finger is "hooked around the trigger" (d'uh)

The only "common" thing with any of these methods is that your trigger pull/squeeze should be as straight back as possible.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:18   #7
Amos

I use my toes
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:48   #8
krap101

I like using the joint. It just comes naturally that way
krap101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 13:48   #9
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

As said before, it depends on who you ask.

I've found that LEO & military shooters will use the first joint.

However, precision shooters and competition shooters will use the pad on the very tip of their finger. This is the method I personally prefer, as I get a better feel of the weapon, and I feel that I influence the weapon less with any jerking or pulling.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 14:04   #10
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

First joint, but point shooting (with pistols) is more fun.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 16:52   #11
Greyhame888

Huh, I wasn't really trying to open a can of worms with this, I was just asking what a few other shooters thoughts were on the matter.

I personally use the pad of my finger, and I wasn't asking for advice. This was simply meant to be a discussion thread to see what others are using, or if they had even considered it.
Greyhame888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 17:16   #12
netghost1

LOL, asking for an opinion on ASC is always like opening a can of worms ... that's just the nature of this forum.
netghost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 17:27   #13
Conker

Having started shooting sports in biathlon and target shooting (precision shooting team, in the cadets), the tip of the finger is the natural position for me. But in the action, it changes depending on two things:

1. Environnement/circumstances
2. The gun I use

1. In CQB, it needs much more fast, instinctive shooting... that'll usually be the first joint. Playing DMR, outside, it more of a precision shootiung job, so then the tip. Playing outside, most of the time I'll be on ready with the tip of the finger, trying to make the first shot count, then transition to the first joint when shit starts flinging

2. As for the gun I use, it relates in part to question 1 as if I'm using a bolt action, I'm sniping so it's the tip. But it also changes the natural position of the hand: on a Beretta 92, the grip is fatter, so my finger ends up naturally more towards the tip. On a 1911, the grip is smaller so the trigger comes naturally on the first joint. And the same goes for all guns...
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 18:24   #14
Danke

Are you using a crushing grip?
Old April 16th, 2011, 03:15   #15
Jayne Finch

like others have said: its all about circumstance and comfort. for me it varies. CAPS i use the pad of my fingertip, if i use my pistol in game i switch to the "combat" grip. ie. in the first joint. same idea with my primary. shooting from a good position, fingertip. full blown shootout, Frack it, just get the plastic out.

edit:
one of the first things i was taught when i started shooting. "don't over think it. keep the muzzle downrange and your finger off the trigger till you're ready to shoot. your body will do the rest." ie. your stance will adjust itself, finger will find its place and eyes will take the sights.

"Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

"i don't have a license to kill. but i have a learners permit!"

Last edited by Jayne Finch; April 16th, 2011 at 03:20..
Jayne Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures