Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Vehicles in airsoft and milsim

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old September 1st, 2011, 14:20   #46
Wetmelon

Send a message via Skype™ to Wetmelon
my roommate's team had a very effective helicopter run at a game in Oklahoma... little huey with a saw does some huge damage...
Wetmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:26   #47
Kimbo
formerly pivot

Vehicles make the game. If you are playing a long sim, vehicles help keep people moving when they get tired.

Some pics from our last milsim, here in Calgary.

Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:15   #48
DEATH2000

Love the inflatable tank lol. Who owned the Mercedes Duece?
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:51   #49
Kimbo
formerly pivot

One of the guys on our team owns two of them.

At the game each team had one as well as a technical to bomb around in at will. Made for some epic firefights.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 12:08   #50
DEATH2000

Thats pretty sick. I'd love to get one, but my wife would kill me if I did lol
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:06   #51
gfh

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyissue View Post
Most important vehicle in Airsoft ... Mom's Car.
very true
gfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 13:33   #52
battlerager

Has anyone tried to use mesh (like what's in goggles and facemasks) over the windows?
Thinking about building a unit that would fit a windshield and be semi attached using magnets (assuming the truck is a day to day vehicle)

Also, since I have never shot a car with a bb. What kind of damage are we talking? does it actually warp the metal or just chip the paint?
Old January 9th, 2012, 14:04   #53
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Depends on the strength of the alloy and the density of the paint. On your average road car I.E a Chevy Blazer yea you should expect the paint to chip after the gloss clear coat and some minor dents from some of the closer range shots. My advice? Kremilin/Sames/Excel Paint offers a line of guns that they provide for the US Military to use when painting their M1 Tanks. These guns coupled with the correct paint create at a durable layer that is enough to deflect BB's. Infact it can deflect shrapanel from a hand grenade, with no cosmetic damage.

Problem is these guns cost almost as much as a beat up high mileage SUV off kijiji. The best idea IMO is get one of these beater SUV's and do with what you will but on game-day for milsims arrange a way to transport it to the field. Uhaul offers vehicles and trailers that are large enough to transport a smaller SUV. But a daily driver is not something you want to risk.

EDIT: I am talking about paint guns like the ones used to paint cars/boats not airsoft guns.

Last edited by Curo; January 10th, 2012 at 11:40.. Reason: specify
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 20:30   #54
Kimbo
formerly pivot

I painted up my wifes Grand Cherokee with water color paint for a game a few years ago and it was shot plenty. No damage whatsoever. If someone were to shoot it at point blank range at a right angle you may get a tiny dent or blemish, but nothing from 30 or so feet away. Same goes for a windshield. I shot our clubs truck point blank at a right angle with a .30g bb from a 420fps gun and it chipped the windshield like a stone would. Other shots with the same gun at 40 or so feet did nothing. I wouldn't bring out a new vehicle to a game where it would receive a ton of fire, but I think regular fire at anything but short range is fine.

At no time should you play with silica bb's when vehicles are around. They are completely inflexible and will take windows out pretty easily. Happened at Rivers, it was gay.
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:39   #55
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
I painted up my wifes Grand Cherokee with water color paint for a game a few years ago and it was shot plenty. No damage whatsoever. If someone were to shoot it at point blank range at a right angle you may get a tiny dent or blemish, but nothing from 30 or so feet away. Same goes for a windshield. I shot our clubs truck point blank at a right angle with a .30g bb from a 420fps gun and it chipped the windshield like a stone would. Other shots with the same gun at 40 or so feet did nothing. I wouldn't bring out a new vehicle to a game where it would receive a ton of fire, but I think regular fire at anything but short range is fine.

At no time should you play with silica bb's when vehicles are around. They are completely inflexible and will take windows out pretty easily. Happened at Rivers, it was gay.
Your wife was okay with this? I think she deserved wife of the year. Seriously.
Old January 10th, 2012, 22:47   #56
Kimbo
formerly pivot

She's a good egg
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:18   #57
Cortex
Has a life outside Airsoft

I've had some dreams about fielding an older model Jeep Wrangler for a few reasons;

1) All the windows can be easily removed, rolled down, or folded down (in the case of the windshield). This negates almost any worry about breaking glass, the windshield would still be present but it would be lying horizontal on the hood and strapped down to prevent it from bouncing and cracking/breaking.

2) The doors and roof can be removed to allow for more accurate judgement of occupant hits. IMO this would make disabling the vehicle much easier, just shoot the occupants like you would in a real open-topped vehicle. Maybe give occupants some armor bonuses (two or three shots to be dead instead of one) just to make the vehicle slightly more intimidating than a few guys on foot.

3) The roll bars/cage on all Wranglers are pretty ideal for a fabricated turret ring for mounting some kind of machine gun, LMG or otherwise depending on what people have.

I've been trying to get a friend of mine to talk to a friend of his about getting access to his two Helicopters. They've got two Robinson R44's that could potentially be used somehow, as they can only carry 3 passengers though the usefulness is limited.

Last edited by Cortex; January 11th, 2012 at 03:22..
Cortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:39   #58
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortex View Post

I've been trying to get a friend of mine to talk to a friend of his about getting access to his two Helicopters. They've got two Robinson R44's that could potentially be used somehow, as they can only carry 3 passengers though the usefulness is limited.
Depending on the trim level of the R44 loaner in question, $340-$440,000 USD new is a heck of a lot of risk to be putting up for a friend of a friend, against a potential 'magic BB'..
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:56   #59
Cortex
Has a life outside Airsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
Depending on the trim level of the R44 loaner in question, $340-$440,000 USD new is a heck of a lot of risk to be putting up for a friend of a friend, against a potential 'magic BB'..
I've met the guy myself and he seems to think the idea might fly (pun intended) so long as some aircraft specific rules are instated. No shooting AT the helicopter, no shooting FROM the helicopter (airsoft guns would be useless with all the downdraft and wind anyway). He's an ex-military helicopter pilot himself, and the other chopper would be piloted by another ex-military pilot that he knows.

I've gone for rides in both and even flown them myself for a bit, I had my PPL for awhile after I finished Air Cadets but I never stuck with it since it was to costly to go flying. Not currently licensed.

Its still up to him though, and I don't know him THAT well. Still more of an acquaintance than a friend.
Old March 12th, 2012, 14:33   #60
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

It's paintball I know but here is another option.

PAINTBALL TANK ARMORED ASSAULT VEHICLE PAINTBALL SCENARIO - YouTube

It is still relevant. And I like the idea. Doesn't add too much weigh.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures