Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Wasteland weekend

:

Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi

Old January 24th, 2015, 16:25   #31
CR0M

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covax View Post
Yeah Elegy's fun. I was at the October game last year and might hit up a game or two this year. There was some talk among the players about doing an airsoft version, at least as a test. I’m of the opinion that cross-pollination can’t hurt.

One thing I want to mention is that last year I was really looking forward to a couple game that got shelved, one called ‘Last Call’ and another ‘Long Winter’. They were post-apocalyptic... but without the costuming. In both cases they would have been small teams of 4-6 with limited starting ammo and resource-gathering objectives. Role play comes from having to choose on the fly how to deal with other groups. Like:

“We have 12 bottles of water, that group has 20 MRE’s, we’re outnumbered but I have a sniper in a solid position. There’s gunfire in the distance. We need to finish this negotiation quick because everyone’s twitchy.”

You might want to consider something like that as a ‘gateway drug’ before going full Max Max.
+1
...very very limited ammo is differently the way to go with these games.
Old January 28th, 2015, 01:06   #32
whisper_kill

Some good conversation happening here. Keep it up guys.

I'm scouting potential locations that will play into the theme. If any one has any suggestion in the gta east, Durham region area, I'd love to hear them.
Old January 28th, 2015, 12:22   #33
Covax

If you have a chance you should hit up this year's Picton Zombies game. Here's last year's thread The 'Scavenger Hunt' portion of the game in particular had a neat rule set for your weapon/ammo load out you may want to look at.
Old January 28th, 2015, 13:43   #34
whisper_kill

Covax, will look into it.

I've been to Picton games of various sizes and types. As well as zombie games in Belleville and London... not to mention a decade of playing and running every type of game imaginable. These games always distill down to the same thing when it comes to suspension of disbelief and fun game play.

I'm at the point now, where I try to refine the rule set and objectives down as simple as possible. But that is easy in comparison to the monumental task of trying to build authentic sets, transporting them and storing them long term. But I have ideas already on how to do this!

I think what I would need out of the community for the first post-apocalyptic/dystopia event is genuine motivated participation. And that would be in the form of people engaging with the theme in terms of their character and their costumes/loadout.

My rough calculations show we would need approximately 22 players and 3 NPCs. So I think this is definitely achievable. I would also need help in terms of set construction. Again, achievable.

I'm getting closer to something that might have some legs. I'm currently looking at a date of Saturday, September 28th, starting "around" 5pm - 11pm'ish. Of course this may change.

Still on the prowl for a good piece of land in the east end to play on. Something with interesting terrain.

More information will follow!
Old January 28th, 2015, 14:24   #35
whisper_kill

Again, a bit off topic, but I've been putting the finishing touches on this years futuristic soldier impression. We have a small cosplay group called the Filthy Apes, and we love doing near future soldiers. The base of this costume is produced by Sid Garrand at Nightmare Armor Studios in Georgia. It is a resin/fibreglass mix. From there, I upfit it with eva foam parts, some metal, LEDs, custom paint, blah blah blah. The results are pretty awesome I think though.
Old January 29th, 2015, 15:18   #36
whisper_kill

Make sure you keep an eye on the first message in this thread for updates as I move forward.
Old January 29th, 2015, 17:02   #37
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

I checked this thread again, while the concept looks amazing I doubt I'd have the time to build up a post-apocalyptic loadout by September so please remove me from the participants list. I look forward to seeing what becomes of this.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 17:21   #38
whisper_kill

Hey RedDot, if you should decide to change your mind, make sure you come back on board. I think there is plenty of time to create a cool post-apo look... or join the soldiers and run a BDU.
Old January 29th, 2015, 19:38   #39
CR0M

a 6 hour game is ok and all, but its not something I would drive an hour + for.
Old January 29th, 2015, 20:28   #40
whisper_kill

Yeah, agreed. A smaller game is geared towards people in Toronto and east. However, game details may change. All I am doing is assembling parts right now. Vetting as I go. Adjusting. Stay tuned.
Old January 30th, 2015, 00:11   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dot View Post
I checked this thread again, while the concept looks amazing I doubt I'd have the time to build up a post-apocalyptic loadout by September so please remove me from the participants list. I look forward to seeing what becomes of this.
I'm sure you won't need Fallout style armor to participate. If this thing happens I'll wear bandit or military outfit, Stalker style. Bandit outfit is not that hard to build.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 01:04   #42
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

I was intimidated by the pics, I don't build costumes and such so I didn't want to disappoint anyone. I'll keep an eye on this so I may jump in.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 10:29   #43
whisper_kill

Hey Red Dot, don't stress. I posted those pics of one of my costumes just for fun. In reality, this game requires VERY little in terms of the wastelanders' costumes. In fact, I will be posting videos from some of the best costumers so you will be able to see just how easy and cheap it is!
Old January 30th, 2015, 11:35   #44
Covax

Yeah the look is not that big of a deal. I mean check out these pics from New Ottawa. Some crazier outfits, sure, but those were either the NPCs or - like in my team's case - a dedicated faction. The majority of folks were in jeans & redneck shirts:

https://www.facebook.com/WideWhite/m...6460115&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/tim.lau.731...3811026&type=1

Old January 30th, 2015, 12:31   #45
whisper_kill

Exactly. Now saying that, our goal is 100% immersion, so we will have minimum standards, but they will be quite relaxed. In addition, we will make sure we have people available to help others with their impression.

In fact, maybe we should consider doing a make-and-take event where we can all meet and work on our impressions as a group.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi