Magnet on an AEG

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 4th, 2016, 00:13   #1
2xl

Send a message via AIM to 2xl Send a message via MSN to 2xl
Question Magnet on an AEG

Hi guys,

I know it's obvious because I'm in the newbie tank but I'm new in the airsoft's world. I have what could look to be a stupid/strange question but I want to know if it could damage my AEG if I put a magnet on it (on the rail, the "gear"/magwell part or on the stock).

Thank you
2xl

P.s. I'm from Québec and I speak french so sorry if I did misspelled or syntax error.
2xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 01:14   #2
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Wouldn't cause any harm unless perhaps you put by the motor. Not sure what it could do but the motor is a magnet so likely could at least effect the efficiency of the motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 01:54   #3

Airsoft AEG is essentially an airgun with gears/springs/plastic moving parts inside of it's outer shell. Regular magnet will not harm it.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 07:54   #4
2xl

Send a message via AIM to 2xl Send a message via MSN to 2xl
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Regular magnet will not harm it.
Do you think if the magnet is to strong as an "elcetro magnet" it could damage it?
2xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 07:55   #5
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Might screw up the motor, or a MOSFET I guess. Mostly, no it wouldn't cause any trouble.
Old June 4th, 2016, 19:41   #6
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

A regular AEG is an analog device, so you'd need a PRETTY powerful magnet to affect anything.
Unless you're turning your AEG into some sort of railgun or gauss rifle, I wouldn't worry about it.
Radio EMF has more interference with certain mosfet switches than a magnet will.
Keep in mind, the motor is essentially a large magnetic field when it's running.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 19:49   #7
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

what would you need a magnet on the rail for? Are you trying to rig up a system to secure it to your body?

There are other options for that. I had one on my mp7 for the short time I had it. Basically it mounts on the rail with a male end, and there's a female recepticle that was mounted with molle on my gear some where, and I could just clip it in out of the way.

The only issue was that it would pivot. You would need a magnet strong enough to stabilize the weight of your aeg so A) it won't fall off, B) be loose that it would get in the way while you're doing the task you want to do.

A proper 2 pt sling should be fine if you sling the weapon across your back and cinch it down. I've climbed ladders and done all sorts of things with a full length g36 slung on my back. I use a convertible 2-1 pt so when I'm walking long distances, I change it to 2 and sling it on my back, when I'm moving slowly I have it in 1pt so I can drop it and draw a pistol if I need to.

If you are attaching stuff TO your gun via magnet, then have at it, just make sure they're strong enough to hold whatever you want to stick on the gun. Just remember some heavier BBs have metal filler in them to increase their weight, so they can be affected by strong magnetic fields.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank