Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

GP68 Programming Help Needed

:

Gear Discussion

Old May 2nd, 2012, 21:09   #1
ex
Wanna buy some Nod's? #StolenValour

GP68 Programming Help Needed

I have been trying to program my GP68 but something is not quite right.

I am able to program all the FRS channels.
I can receive no problem...clear as a bell..
BUT when I try and transmit It sounds like i'm in a wind storm.
am I missing something?

I've seen a bunch of conversion charts etc..I am so lost when it comes to this stuff it's not funny. Can someone dumb it down for me???
Old May 2nd, 2012, 21:34   #2
ex

No beeping sound i turned off the PTTID
Yes there is a squelch setting
Old May 2nd, 2012, 21:53   #3
FlyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex View Post
I have been trying to program my GP68 but something is not quite right.

I am able to program all the FRS channels.
I can receive no problem...clear as a bell..
BUT when I try and transmit It sounds like i'm in a wind storm.
am I missing something?

I've seen a bunch of conversion charts etc..I am so lost when it comes to this stuff it's not funny. Can someone dumb it down for me???
I have one of these radios and have had no real trouble programming it so hopefully I can help you as well ex.

Questions:
  1. I assume this is a GP68 that you've programmed via front panel keyboard and not via programming cable/software? If it's via software then I can't help you all that much as I am not familiar with Mot's RSS for that radio.
  2. When you say that you sound like a "wind storm", I also assume that's the report others are giving you regarding your transmission quality? You sound like a tornado on-air right?
  3. Considering #2 above, what happens when your radio and the receiver are in close proximity to each other and you transmit? Is there still some funky "noise" on your signal? Is the receiver fully quieted when you press the PTT on your radio but do not talk into it?
  4. Are you using an external speaker mic or headset when the problem occurs or does it also happen with the built-in microphone as well?

See this link for additional info on the radio. Select the "AP73" users guide link at the bottom of the page for a complete manual on the radio. The AP73 and GP68 are virtually identical and interchangeable.

Note:
None of the radio's accessable from the front keyboard programmable parameters should affect the quality of your audio as it is transmitted over the air. Other than setting output power high or low which may or may not be related here, the FPP feature merely allows you to specify tx/rx frequencies, squelch tones and assigns your chosen frequency to one of 16 available channel memories. What will affect the sound of your audio however is distance to receiver (path loss+transmitter power) as well as any malfunctions of the microphone or FM modulator circuitry. Broken wires in the mic jack or cable are often a culprit. Sometimes and especially if the radio sounds off-frequency or appears to be drifting in and out of frequency, the local oscillator (VCO) is to blame (old crystal, ageing electronics). Bad bonding or grounding within the radio's various filter sections can lead to a noisy hum on your signal as well.

I would first check the radio out with only the built-in microphone/speaker setup. If it's ok, then start suspecting the external mic connection jack and/or your headset itself. Perhaps if you could record 10-15 seconds of your "windy" audio and send it I may be able to make a better diagnosis.

For your consideration:
IF it turns out that your radio is FUBAR, and since I don't really need my GP68 anymore, I could sell it to you at a really good price. But let's wait until your radio is confirmed busted first.

'Fly

Team GHOSTS - Fides et Amicitia
G-68

"Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I"

Learning To Fly
© 1986 Pink Floyd
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:24   #4
ex

Quote:
1. I assume this is a GP68 that you've programmed via front panel keyboard and not via programming cable/software? If it's via software then I can't help you all that much as I am not familiar with Mot's RSS for that radio.

A. yes it's been programmed via the RSS on the radio

Quote:
2. When you say that you sound like a "wind storm", I also assume that's the report others are giving you regarding your transmission quality? You sound like a tornado on-air right?
A. Yup.or in a chopper with my head stuck out

Quote:
3. Considering #2 above, what happens when your radio and the receiver are in close proximity to each other and you transmit? Is there still some funky "noise" on your signal? Is the receiver fully quieted when you press the PTT on your radio but do not talk into it?
A. The problem happens regardless of the proximity of the receiver.
Quote:
4. Are you using an external speaker mic or headset when the problem occurs or does it also happen with the built-in microphone as well?

A. It's happening with the Radio's mic and with external ptt/mic.

I even reset the radio to the factory settings and reprogrammed it. It must be the mic or something mechanical.

Shoot me a pm with your Offer of the GP68 you want to get rid of.
Thanks Bud.. I appreciate the help.

Last edited by ex; May 3rd, 2012 at 07:27..
ex is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion