Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Aftermath Typhon Socom Full Auto M9

:

Newbie Tank

Old April 15th, 2014, 22:01   #1
Slancha

Aftermath Typhon Socom Full Auto M9

Hey guys, looking for a first blow back semi auto.. is this thing worth buying? There on sale at PA for 119$ lookin for some input/ suggestion etc..

thank you!!
Slancha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 22:04   #2
redzaku

cheap gun from a cheap company, you would expect it to be
in my opinion and experience is that buying cheap usually will end up being broken in a short time
also, go get age verified and you will get a better gun for a similar price range
За Родину!
BRRRRRT!
redzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 22:11   #3
Slancha

figured it was cheap but still at over 100$ not that cheap for me anyways..

?? "go get age verified and you will get a better gun for a similar price range"
what does age have to do with a better gun in a similar price range? first post in an airsoft forum..

thx
Old April 15th, 2014, 22:15   #4
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slancha View Post
figured it was cheap but still at over 100$ not that cheap for me anyways..

?? "go get age verified and you will get a better gun for a similar price range"
what does age have to do with a better gun in a similar price range? first post in an airsoft forum..

thx
Airsoft Canada enforces a 18+ policy, where we cannot tell you or help you acquire airsoft guns. If you are 18+ you must meet with an Age verifier present a valid piece of government issue photo ID, we confirm it, submit the info and then you gain access to the restricted parts of the forum such as retailers and the classifieds where there are many deals to be had
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 22:22   #5
Slancha

damn! well over 18 but not going to jump through hoops for some info.. thanks.
Old April 15th, 2014, 22:26   #6
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slancha View Post
damn! well over 18 but not going to jump through hoops for some info.. thanks.
its not really a hoop....
More of a ring really, of fire.

anyways.
When you do meet with a Verifier they are usually more then happy to help out with any immediate questions you may have.
Aftermath isnt a great company, I mean the only gun they've produced to date that's even remotely good is the Kraken AK.

here read up on the rules and such
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=162066
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 22:45   #7
targetGspot

I've considered buying one too, Heard mixed reviews so have held off. I used to have a "cheap" gas pistol with same type of magazine. I can say that gun was actually really good but the huge magazine was a pain. I prefer to carry a spare regular mag. Aftermath may be a "cheap" company but I have had a few of their aegs and they were all great. Especially their "Kraken" AK's possibly best bang for buck starter gun,(if u get it on sale and can put up with clearsoft). In the same price range falls the G&G xtreme45, I have one and it's decent, take a look at them.
As far as age verification goes, I've tried a few times over the last few years and only recently got in touch with someone who seems like I could actually get done through, however scheduling is an issue. Also I just don't see the point anymore. I'm not willing to risk buying a gun off someone I don't know and You can get most things online in Canada now. I always end up selling spare guns/equip to my friends so I don't need to do it here either. I've been told there are other benefits but no one can explain exactly what they are.
Old April 15th, 2014, 22:50   #8
Slancha

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.T.Z View Post
its not really a hoop....
More of a ring really, of fire.

anyways.
When you do meet with a Verifier they are usually more then happy to help out with any immediate questions you may have.
Aftermath isnt a great company, I mean the only gun they've produced to date that's even remotely good is the Kraken AK.

here read up on the rules and such
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=162066
lol! thx for the link.. checked it out.
Old April 15th, 2014, 22:55   #9
Slancha

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetGspot View Post
I've considered buying one too, Heard mixed reviews so have held off. I used to have a "cheap" gas pistol with same type of magazine. I can say that gun was actually really good but the huge magazine was a pain. I prefer to carry a spare regular mag. Aftermath may be a "cheap" company but I have had a few of their aegs and they were all great. Especially their "Kraken" AK's possibly best bang for buck starter gun,(if u get it on sale and can put up with clearsoft). In the same price range falls the G&G xtreme45, I have one and it's decent, take a look at them.
As far as age verification goes, I've tried a few times over the last few years and only recently got in touch with someone who seems like I could actually get done through, however scheduling is an issue. Also I just don't see the point anymore. I'm not willing to risk buying a gun off someone I don't know and You can get most things online in Canada now. I always end up selling spare guns/equip to my friends so I don't need to do it here either. I've been told there are other benefits but no one can explain exactly what they are.

thank you for posting, I have been looking at those G&G xtreme45 for longer then the socom.. thing is the socom just came up locally and the G&G would have to be ordered. same thing mixed reviews.. but I found better reviews on the socom even a guy on youtube said he had one for over 4years..
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:42   #10
FirestormX

No, it's not worth buying. As redzaku mentioned - buy cheap, buy twice. Except hopefully the second time, you're smart enough to not buy cheap.

For M9s (and most GBBPs), the minimum that you'll want is a KJW. You can find them for $150-$200 in most Canadian stores. If you have the extra money to spend, it's worth buying a KWA or Tokyo Marui.

If "over $100 isn't that cheap", then don't waste it on WEs or anything below that. You'll just be throwing money into the wind. Stick to KJW, KWA, or TM, and you'll have a much better time.

----

* KJWs are TM clones, made in China/Taiwan - they are parts-compatible with TMs, but don't have the quality of TMs. They are available in full metal, or smoked plastic lower receiver.

* KWAs are NOT TM clones, but KWA does make their replacement parts readily available directly through KWA. They're full metal, have the correct dimensions, and have a functioning decocker. They're generally considered on par - or in some cases, better than - a TM.

* TMs are considered the highest quality, for most pistol models. They're accurate, they're responsive, and they're durable. They're also plastic, and have a lower FPS (both due to Japanese law), and are very expensive, so that turns off a lot of newbies.

TM has produced two main versions of the M9:
Their first M9 version is one of their oldest models, and has a fixed hop up, and no functional decocker. That is what the KJW is based on, though the KJW has an adjustable hop up. Avoid this first version, and go KJW instead, if you so wish.

The newer M9 - the M9A1 - was released a couple years ago, and generally addresses the above problems. It feels better than the first version (weight distribution), has an adjustable hop, and a functional decocker. It still takes the first version's mags.

----

Things to note:
* KJW and TM are compatible, and so are their mags. TM mags are higher quality, and will develop a leak less often than a KJW would. Leaks are fairly simple to repair though.
DO NOT run CO2 in a non-reinforced TM. TMs were built to run on duster (and can handle green gas), but that's it. Again, Japanese law says they can only shoot 1 joule, and shouldn't be modifiable to shoot beyond that.

* KSC and KWA are "essentially" the same company. They are two different companies, serving two different markets, with sometimes slightly different guns, but in most cases they're referred to interchangeably. In this case, a KSC and a KWA M9 are the same thing. You're more likely to run into a pistol labelled KWA than a KSC in Canada, though.

* WE/HK3P pistols are also TM compatible, but absolute shit.

* Don't waste money on anything lower.

----
Edit: Post #9 in this thread here, is a pretty good overview: M9 - which one is best? - boards.ie

Last edited by FirestormX; April 16th, 2014 at 11:44..
FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 12:25   #11
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Personally I think WE and KJW M9s are absolute horseshit and the mags ALWAYS end up leaking due to the shitty side pin design

WE's hi-capas are ok, if you get one, keep it stock for as long as you can, it's when you start fidling that you run into fitment issues and things go sideways.

TM is my #1 for pistols, aftermarket parts makers tailor their specs to TM's specs so you know they're going to fit.

KWA is also pretty good and full metal and like FirestormX said, the parts are very easy to source, they're probably the best at parts support, WE is also good in this regard.
Old April 16th, 2014, 13:14   #12
targetGspot

I always hear good things about TM pistols, aegs not so much, both are overpriced but at least you can run the pistol stock, fps doesn't matter so much at the range you tend to use one whereas no one I know/heard of uses a stock TM aeg, and it costs too much for the gun in the first place to have to upgrade it too! I have a KJW mk1 and it's only a $100 gun. No mag leaks for first 5yrs. 3 out of 5 leaking last summer, $3 each to fix, 2 minutes. Gun is not blowback but you can run the mags in the pistol and carbine. Both can be "ghetto upgraded" for nothing and my Carbine shoots over 600fps w/.20's. I haven't upgraded the pistol as the 420 it already shoots at is high for a pistol in the first place.
Old April 16th, 2014, 21:39   #13
Slancha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormX View Post
No, it's not worth buying. As redzaku mentioned - buy cheap, buy twice. Except hopefully the second time, you're smart enough to not buy cheap.

For M9s (and most GBBPs), the minimum that you'll want is a KJW. You can find them for $150-$200 in most Canadian stores. If you have the extra money to spend, it's worth buying a KWA or Tokyo Marui.

If "over $100 isn't that cheap", then don't waste it on WEs or anything below that. You'll just be throwing money into the wind. Stick to KJW, KWA, or TM, and you'll have a much better time.

----

* KJWs are TM clones, made in China/Taiwan - they are parts-compatible with TMs, but don't have the quality of TMs. They are available in full metal, or smoked plastic lower receiver.

* KWAs are NOT TM clones, but KWA does make their replacement parts readily available directly through KWA. They're full metal, have the correct dimensions, and have a functioning decocker. They're generally considered on par - or in some cases, better than - a TM.

* TMs are considered the highest quality, for most pistol models. They're accurate, they're responsive, and they're durable. They're also plastic, and have a lower FPS (both due to Japanese law), and are very expensive, so that turns off a lot of newbies.

TM has produced two main versions of the M9:
Their first M9 version is one of their oldest models, and has a fixed hop up, and no functional decocker. That is what the KJW is based on, though the KJW has an adjustable hop up. Avoid this first version, and go KJW instead, if you so wish.

The newer M9 - the M9A1 - was released a couple years ago, and generally addresses the above problems. It feels better than the first version (weight distribution), has an adjustable hop, and a functional decocker. It still takes the first version's mags.

----

Things to note:
* KJW and TM are compatible, and so are their mags. TM mags are higher quality, and will develop a leak less often than a KJW would. Leaks are fairly simple to repair though.
DO NOT run CO2 in a non-reinforced TM. TMs were built to run on duster (and can handle green gas), but that's it. Again, Japanese law says they can only shoot 1 joule, and shouldn't be modifiable to shoot beyond that.

* KSC and KWA are "essentially" the same company. They are two different companies, serving two different markets, with sometimes slightly different guns, but in most cases they're referred to interchangeably. In this case, a KSC and a KWA M9 are the same thing. You're more likely to run into a pistol labelled KWA than a KSC in Canada, though.

* WE/HK3P pistols are also TM compatible, but absolute shit.

* Don't waste money on anything lower.

----
Edit: Post #9 in this thread here, is a pretty good overview: M9 - which one is best? - boards.ie

Wow mang! very thorough post thanks! Still new to all the name brands but I'll figure it out..
Old April 16th, 2014, 21:44   #14
Slancha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusangani View Post
Personally I think WE and KJW M9s are absolute horseshit and the mags ALWAYS end up leaking due to the shitty side pin design

WE's hi-capas are ok, if you get one, keep it stock for as long as you can, it's when you start fidling that you run into fitment issues and things go sideways.

TM is my #1 for pistols, aftermarket parts makers tailor their specs to TM's specs so you know they're going to fit.

KWA is also pretty good and full metal and like FirestormX said, the parts are very easy to source, they're probably the best at parts support, WE is also good in this regard.

Good reminder/heads up.. I'm the type to take something apart before even shooting it, clean, debure, relube etc..
Old April 16th, 2014, 21:50   #15
Slancha

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetGspot View Post
I always hear good things about TM pistols, aegs not so much, both are overpriced but at least you can run the pistol stock, fps doesn't matter so much at the range you tend to use one whereas no one I know/heard of uses a stock TM aeg, and it costs too much for the gun in the first place to have to upgrade it too! I have a KJW mk1 and it's only a $100 gun. No mag leaks for first 5yrs. 3 out of 5 leaking last summer, $3 each to fix, 2 minutes. Gun is not blowback but you can run the mags in the pistol and carbine. Both can be "ghetto upgraded" for nothing and my Carbine shoots over 600fps w/.20's. I haven't upgraded the pistol as the 420 it already shoots at is high for a pistol in the first place.
Any rec on vendors to buy from in Canada? 600fps pal rated??
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank