Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Magpul pts pdr-c vs P90

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old February 14th, 2013, 18:39   #1
Mikotech

Magpul pts pdr-c vs P90

Hi,
I'm in the proccess of buying a compact AEG and was looking at first for a P90 from CA or G&G and the Magpul pts pdr-c pop-up as an alternative.
The thing that bugs me with P90 is the mags.
They are long and takes a lot of place in a vest and maybe reduce the fluidity of body movements while playing in tight places.
The placement of mags on the top looks to be more time consuming to change.
The pdr-c with more conventional and available mags and the smaller package looks to me to be a better choice.
I mean a better choice for me from this point of view.
The pdr-c mags are also easier to fit in vest pouches and drop pouch. That don't need to buy extra molle mag and drop pouches for that specific purpose.

I know that P90 are there for a long time and there's a huge knowledge base on ASC and i did read a lot about so maybe you guys that knows about P90 can give me some input about that.

I know that the pdr-c is very new and there is very few info about it for the moment so i'm not asking about quality and upgrades and reliability for the moment but you can always share what you think about.

Thanks

Remy
Mikotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 22:21   #2
spartan117

I wouldn't get the PDR yet until i'm absolutely sure what internal parts or compatible with it. So far, i know the gears are sort of proprietary due to their longer axis pins, the nozzle and tappet plate are also proprietary. The piston according to airsoft GI is the same as the Masada one. They have a video on the internals of the PDR.

Airsoft GI - MAGPUL PTS PDR AEG Internal Look with Frank and Daniel - YouTube
spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 22:32   #3
XZIVR

Mags on the top of the p90 are actually quite easy to change quickly. Never had a problem with that. One complaint my friend had with his F2000 was that having the mag in the bottom made it hard to reload while prone.

My one and only beef with the p90 is the trigger pull. I don't like the sliding style and to me it seemed harder to fire quickly in semi auto compared to something like an m4 or ak trigger..
XZIVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:47   #4
kylem_8

Send a message via MSN to kylem_8
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZIVR View Post
Mags on the top of the p90 are actually quite easy to change quickly. Never had a problem with that. One complaint my friend had with his F2000 was that having the mag in the bottom made it hard to reload while prone.

My one and only beef with the p90 is the trigger pull. I don't like the sliding style and to me it seemed harder to fire quickly in semi auto compared to something like an m4 or ak trigger..
however, if you leave the P90 in AUTO, then that actually acts as a 2 stage trigger system. so depending on how far you pull back the trigger will determine whether or not you fire in SEMI or AUTO.
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:56   #5
Viperfish

I personally wouldn't touch the PDR with a 10 foot stick.

the fact that it needs around 8 rounds just to feed kills it for me. not to mention all of its crazy parts.

Just get something like an AUG or some other small bullpup if you want a tiny smg type gun.

WOLFPACK WP-32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBR View Post
If you ever go to a milsim and hear a vuvuzela, you are fucked.
Viperfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:01   #6
kylem_8

Send a message via MSN to kylem_8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfish View Post
I personally wouldn't touch the PDR with a 10 foot stick.

the fact that it needs around 8 rounds just to feed kills it for me. not to mention all of its crazy parts.

Just get something like an AUG or some other small bullpup if you want a tiny smg type gun.
one question i have which is bugging me is that fact that i dont understand why they didn't do what Madbull did with their Ultimate Hop-up Unit. Simply put an O-Ring in the loading/ feeding tube so everytime you change your mags, you don't loose 8 rounds....

I still really want the PDR though
Old February 16th, 2013, 15:46   #7
Mikotech

Why loosing 8 or so rounds can be problematic?
If playing real cap allow like 30 rounds you can add 8 and its easy to prove if question or verification is asked.
What about the use of m4 mags vs P90 for carrying and reloads.
The proprietary mechbox is more of a concern if problem can't be solved fast with spare parts and availbility.
Thaks for comments.
I was also looking at the VFC PDW . I know this one can be a trusted value but a little less compact.
Old March 4th, 2013, 23:20   #8
targetGspot

had a p90, soo easy to upgrade! i did however find it awkward to hold and some feeding issues(lots of love taps on the mag!). the tavor tar21 is more comfortable but hard to aim. steyr aug still feels long in stock form. just got pdr and love to hold and aiming feels very natural. rof nothing to write home about on 7.4lipo. and the internals worry me a bit but won't really get to test her till summer...
Old March 5th, 2013, 18:30   #9
Mikotech

I like this review about the PDR-C!

PTS Magpul PDR-C Hands-On Review - YouTube

enjoy!
Old March 5th, 2013, 19:03   #10
T-Hell

for now I would stick to the P90 Tried tested and true.
PDR although cool has too many parts that are specific to this gun and finding them may become a costly affair.

P90 parts are easy to find.

I like the top feeding mags BUT I don't like the length of the mags. too long don't fit std pouches

the PDR has the standard M4 5.56 type mag which is universal pretty much (other then the other biggie AK 7.62 type.)

I know the P90 has an M4 mag kit you can get but that makes it look stupid and only works with High Cap mags...

Despite the Mag issue I would stay with the P90

Rhino Living

http://www.nordicbattlegroup.ca
T-Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 20:49   #11
Swattiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikotech View Post
I like this review about the PDR-C!

PTS Magpul PDR-C Hands-On Review - YouTube

enjoy!
Really good video review. Thanks for sharing.
Swattiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:04   #12
Mikotech

Update!
Still not decided yet but I'm not going for the PDR-C at 499$ for sure.
I think it is a no more than 300$-350$ value.
So until It sells under 350$ its a no for me.
The mags of the P90 turns me off so...

Maybe I'll go for a standard M4.
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:23   #13
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the mags aren't terribly cumbersome if you're tall enough. I either run 4 on a leg or 6 on my vest. True that they take up quite a bit of space on the chest though. As for mag changes and being cumbersome in tight spaces... never had that problem. Don't wait until the mag is empty to reload. Tac reload that bitch.

Also you can tune trigger response into the p90. I love the trigger pull on mine.
Old March 26th, 2013, 21:12   #14
Ronald Chang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikotech View Post
Update!
Still not decided yet but I'm not going for the PDR-C at 499$ for sure.
I think it is a no more than 300$-350$ value.
So until It sells under 350$ its a no for me.
The mags of the P90 turns me off so...

Maybe I'll go for a standard M4.
Bought the PDR C at $399. It really changes my concept of assault rifle. It is sleek, small and easy to handle ane yet has good range. Good for mid range outdoor game and indoor as well.

Cons are it only takes Magpul magazines well, not all other brands M4 magazines fit. And you need to get high mount sight to aim well.
Ronald Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 14:42   #15
targetGspot

played a full season with the pdr, no issues. the rof is much better now that i'm running an 11.1v lipo. while some mags don't fit, 90% will if you "tweak" them. you just have to file off a little bit of plastic (see attached photo) this won't stop them from working in other guns, just be careful not to take off too much or the spring could pop out. (hasn't happened to me but one spring is slighly exposed)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_9200.jpg (1,015.0 KB, 24 views)

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion