Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

G&p m14 dmr

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old April 6th, 2012, 00:10   #16
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
Yep, my first G&P. I kind of expected that the gears used were sub-par after doing some reading (post-purchase) - but i didn't expect that I would have issues (or rather, the gun-doc would) quite this soon. All things considered, I guess that it's better to happen now while in 'warranty', than in the field.
Expect it. The only time I've snapped G&P gears is right away on first use of the given set (I've done it multiple times). Didn't require strong springs or any constant usage. Just right away in the first minute or two.

Quote:
He (the gun-doc) mentioned that he'd try to get a set of SHS gears for it as a warranty resolution - he pulled another G&P gear out of his toolbox with the very same issue, but it was out of an M4 that at least saw some use out of it, before it failed.
Don't bother with G&P replacement gears. The SHS are actually far superior and aside from SiegeTek they're pretty much as good as you can do.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 00:14   #17
MaciekA

Also I just want to re-stress that you shouldn't get discouraged by this, the SHS gears will rock your socks and the rest of this gun will be solid. Every G&P I've dealt with has always had a bit of sketchyness in the gear and/or piston department, but those two parts are easy to replace very inexpensively (for example the SHS gearset will run you 30 bucks and pretty much never break unless you're doing something crazy or incorrect).

Now you know

Old April 6th, 2012, 00:39   #18
ken855

I guess i am the lucky one. My M4s r still running stock G&P gear sets (400ish fps) and so is my MK14 (420ish).
Old April 6th, 2012, 00:46   #19
L473ncy

My beef with G&P is that because of the gear issues it's not that great.

Truth be told I own a G&P and it's kick ass but for a lot of newbies I don't tend to recommend G&P for the reason alone that you need to go into your gearbox and switch out the gears pretty much right away or they'll shear off either at the axles or the teeth. For such a high quality gun you'd expect a lot better.... Hell I'm running Element torque gears in my G&P ATM and they're far superior to the stock G&P gears.

As far as SHS goes, I've been hearing a lot of good about them lately, before I passed them off as a "me too" ACM company that made low quality airsoft stuff (eg. Dream Army, 5KU, Supershooter, AGM, etc.). I might have to try them in the future if my gears ever break. If I don't decide to make the leap and get a SiegeTek set.
Old April 6th, 2012, 16:33   #20
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekA View Post
Also I just want to re-stress that you shouldn't get discouraged by this, the SHS gears will rock your socks and the rest of this gun will be solid. Every G&P I've dealt with has always had a bit of sketchyness in the gear and/or piston department, but those two parts are easy to replace very inexpensively (for example the SHS gearset will run you 30 bucks and pretty much never break unless you're doing something crazy or incorrect).
Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
My beef with G&P is that because of the gear issues it's not that great.

Truth be told I own a G&P and it's kick ass but for a lot of newbies I don't tend to recommend G&P for the reason alone that you need to go into your gearbox and switch out the gears pretty much right away or they'll shear off either at the axles or the teeth. For such a high quality gun you'd expect a lot better.... Hell I'm running Element torque gears in my G&P ATM and they're far superior to the stock G&P gears.
I'm definitely not discouraged by this, disappointed perhaps - for the same reason that L473ncy has outlined.

I recognize that with these airsoft replicas, that a certain amount of tinkering/tuning/upgrading is necessary maintenance throughout the lifespan of the gun in question - whether it be with the cheapest, or the most expensive. The issue i'm disappointed with is that G&P is what i'd consider a premium brand, and yet, the more i look into the overall reliability issues, both MaciekA and L473ncy are correct - they are definitely using sub-par components with the potential to cripple the gun, from the very first use. Unacceptable.

Simply a lesson learned - and it is not going to prevent me from enjoying this M14 - at least once i have got the mechanical bugs exterminated. The overall rifle is of a good quality and should last a good long time, once it is fully sorted to my satisfaction.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 16:38   #21
Boyso
a.k.a. LastSpartan

Send a message via MSN to Boyso
Better having a gun with better externals (metal body) and ok internals than the opposite IMO. Always easier fixing the internals.

"WHEN I DIE
BURY ME
UPSIDE DOWN
SO THE WORLD
CAN KISS MY ASS"
-Platoon

Last edited by Boyso; April 6th, 2012 at 16:41..
Boyso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 17:15   #22
oniwagamaru
Occifer

They do say you are not buying G&P for internals... you are buying it for the sweetass externals. That said, their specs on some products are kind of off.
REGULAR GUY
Certified Level 34 Autosniper
μολών λαβε
oniwagamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 17:25   #23
MaciekA

Completely agree with the posters above. I can't think of any AEG that has stock gears I'm interested in. Every gearbox in my collection has been gutted to at least some degree, and often the gears are the first to go. G&P could just throw a set of SHS gears in there, throw in a sorbo pad to correct AoE and instantly have one of the most desirable AEGs on the market. As it stands they come with a tremendous amount of baggage, especially for people who are afraid of gearboxes.

Now you know

Old April 6th, 2012, 17:29   #24
MaciekA

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
"me too" ACM company that made low quality airsoft stuff (eg. Dream Army, 5KU, Supershooter, AGM, etc.)
Crazy overlap alert:

Supershooter gears are often re-branded SHS, Dream Army motors are often rebranded SHS motors. Most if not all of the King Arms gearsets on the market are straight up SHS gears with a different logo stamped on them. The high torque SHS motors are some of the most oft-recommended I've seen for high fps setups, so between that and positive experiences with the gears they must be doing something right.

By the way the 13:1 SHS gears have been going through bad batches lately, if you have calipers and an airsoftmechanics account you can go look up the bevel tooth sizes to check if you have one of the bad batches. Apparently SHS has been made aware of the issue...

Now you know

Old April 6th, 2012, 22:20   #25
jomor

M14 dmr

Thats the reason I bought the kit instead of the whole gun. I have TM m14's and turned one into the DMR. The DMR after a while bored me so the kit has got to go. But I have to say that yes the G&P externals are incredible. I bought the G&P EBR kit for my one of TM's and man is it ever rocksolid and just looks gorgeous, heavy but gorgeous.
jomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 15:28   #26
HackD

Update on the broken gun issue, in the retailer resolution section.

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthr...36#post1636536

In short, Frank at TA isn't interested in doing anything in this situation.

Boo on TA. My future business will be going elsewhere, definitely.

I might have the M14 up and operational by this weekend - my usual Hamilton retailer is going to try to step up to the plate, and rob another perfectly good working gun of the parts necessary to have me playing on Saturday, if he can.

Last edited by HackD; April 11th, 2012 at 15:39..
Old April 11th, 2012, 15:54   #27
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

these guns are sold no warranty.. and with the expectation that the "pretend" gears that are installed in the factory would be replaced right away.

you got what you paid for.. yet you seem to expect to get more than you are entitled to.

this is an issue of expectations out of line with reality.

anyone who knows about these guns would tell you ( and have) that the gears are crap and need replacing out of the box
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite

Last edited by Brian McIlmoyle; April 11th, 2012 at 15:56..
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 16:06   #28
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
these guns are sold no warranty.. and with the expectation that the "pretend" gears that are installed in the factory would be replaced right away.

you got what you paid for.. yet you seem to expect to get more than you are entitled to.

this is an issue of expectations out of line with reality.

anyone who knows about these guns would tell you ( and have) that the gears are crap and need replacing out of the box
That may be so, and it will end up on me, that the gears (and anything else in the rifle internals) will need inspection and replacement as is necessary.

As for get what i paid for, excuse me? Do you consider $454.99 chump-change, which was a 30% 'fire-sale' price decrease on TA's original MSRP? Close to 5 large, and i got what i paid for, a steaming pile of poop enclosed in a pretty box? The Hell that my expectations were out of lines of reality. I expect a gun out of the box that at least makes it through a game or two - like everything else that i've bought so far, and in many cases for much less money involved.

I draw your attention to TA's OWN advertising on this site, in relation to the G&P line-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage View Post
Hello all!

After several months we have finally received our first official G&P shipment!

All models are 100% legal and have been internally upgraded by the factory direct to give you a consistent and long lasting rifle that will last at 430+fps.

Check them out here:

Last edited by HackD; April 11th, 2012 at 16:10..
Old April 11th, 2012, 16:12   #29
talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
As for get what i paid for, excuse me? Do you consider $454.99 chump-change, which was a 30% 'fire-sale' price decrease on TA's original MSRP? Close to 5 large, and i got what i paid for, a steaming pile of poop enclosed in a pretty box? The Hell that my expectations were out of lines of reality. I expect a gun out of the box that at least makes it through a game or two - like everything else that i've bought so far, and in many cases for much less money involved.
You spent money on something that you KNEW would have this issue, and you were repeatedly told that this was something common and expected. And yet you expect it to work outside of these known issues and limitations just because you paid $500? Sounds like you need to change your expectations and to amend your shopping skills...

If only you'd direct your ire at what is actually the problem, which is G&Ps quality assurance and manufacturing standards, rather than the store where you bought it from... That might actually get you somewhere within the realms of what is "reasonable".
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 16:13   #30
horto

welcome to the reality of airsoft in canada!

take it to a gundoc, fix/upgrade the insides... enjoy your new toy.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion