Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Sniper vs AEG

:

General

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:05   #1
hunter1234
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Sniper vs AEG

what would you say the ratio is from BA:AEG. Just sparking some convo.

Last edited by hunter1234; May 22nd, 2017 at 16:46..
hunter1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:45   #2
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist
 
Drakker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montréal south shore, Qc
I well tuned AEG is a lot more versatile than a bolt action rifle. The only thing bolt actions have going for them nowadays is silence. Even then, some good AEG tuners have made AEGs that are very quiet, so that advantage is slowly going away. You use a bolt action rifle for the challenge and for fun, not to be part of a "master race".
__________________
Keep quiet. Sound travels faster than BBs.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:57   #3
hunter1234
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakker View Post
I well tuned AEG is a lot more versatile than a bolt action rifle. The only thing bolt actions have going for them nowadays is silence. Even then, some good AEG tuners have made AEGs that are very quiet, so that advantage is slowly going away. You use a bolt action rifle for the challenge and for fun, not to be part of a "master race".

Oh i know i meant master race as in whats more common, and obviously we all know its aeg lol
hunter1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 13:10   #4
daishi
 
daishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Send a message via MSN to daishi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1234 View Post
Oh i know i meant master race as in whats more common, and obviously we all know its aeg lol
Why'd you ask the question then?

BA's are only successfully used by experienced players. Put a BA in the hands of a unexperinced player and they will have a terrible time. This is why nobody recommends a new player starts with a BA. It is a completely different play style.

I know of one or two people that I play with that run BA's that will drop an entire squad of guys faster than you can say "hippopotamus", and are more effective then half the guys on the field toting "master race" sewing machines.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
Is he a spambot or is he a francophone? I really can't tell the difference sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 14:14   #5
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Realistically, my MP5/M14/MK18/SR15 are just as accurate as my M24 within their ranges.
But the bolt action is just so damn satisfying.

Usually it's a force multiplier tool for me. Sniping isn't just about spotting and shooting guys from really far away. I used to use it in CQB to get those extremely difficult shots: Someone's shoe sticking out from cover, a gap between two panels, a small window between 2 branches, etc.
But it's also useful for guiding enemy squads, or suppressing them from a distance.
You don't always HAVE to hit someone, sometimes just knowing there's a sniper in range is enough to make people take a different route, OR running right out into the open not realizing there's people with AEGs to gun them down.
And you'd be amazed how many people think twice about moving up to new cover when I'm 350ft away and have no hope in hell of hitting them lol

At any given game, I'd say there's usually one bolt action to every 10-15 people. We once had a game of 50 people and we had like 8/25 people on one team with bolt actions lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 01:18   #6
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch
 
Gato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Richmond Hill (Ontario)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakker View Post
I well tuned AEG is a lot more versatile than a bolt action rifle. The only thing bolt actions have going for them nowadays is silence. Even then, some good AEG tuners have made AEGs that are very quiet, so that advantage is slowly going away. You use a bolt action rifle for the challenge and for fun, not to be part of a "master race".
The non recoil HPA guns can be stupid quiet, just as quiet as BAs, if you drop the right suppressor on them. At one private game, I engaged an enemy patrol at night from some bushes at the side of a path from about 8 or 9 feet away and they were unable to locate me. I was running an M16A4 on semi automatic, choosing my shots nicely and calmly, it wasn't rapid fire or automatic bursts.

Range is easily worth the hose as well


That said, a tuned AEG will beat bolt actions in most cases, with a higher rate of fire, same range, higher ammo capacity and the ability to go on automatic. With none of the size drawbacks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Like seriously dude. The incredible lack of common sense in the question could be scientifically investigated for evidence of a black hole.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 02:02   #7
BenG
 
BenG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Calgary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post

Range is easily worth the hose as well
HPA isnt magic, physics don't change because your propellant is in a bottle

Bolt actions are for people who wish to challenge themselves, or are looking for a change of pace.

http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=158804
__________________
Administrator for Calgary Airsoft -click here

Age Verifier ~ Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I think that's the direction I should have gone with this one though.
gen1 - I can't see shit
gen2 - I see LOTS of green, but not many people
gen3 - Nobody wants to play with me because I'm an elitist asshole now
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 03:14   #8
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch
 
Gato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Richmond Hill (Ontario)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
HPA isnt magic, physics don't change because your propellant is in a bottle

Bolt actions are for people who wish to challenge themselves, or are looking for a change of pace.

http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=158804
They don't, but I'll let you get some trigger time on it if you're ever out here, the range and accuracy is greatly increased compared the the stock gun before I gutted the mech box.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Like seriously dude. The incredible lack of common sense in the question could be scientifically investigated for evidence of a black hole.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 11:02   #9
Kayakee
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: St-Lazare, QC
May be my question is stupid but what is the rule in a milsim?

Is AEG sniper rifle is accepted or it must be BA?
Kayakee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 12:02   #10
Ricochet
“How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina?”...
 
Ricochet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Delta, BC (Greater Vancouver)
Depends on who's hosting, but typically it must be BA. If you want the extra FPS, your gun must only shoot one round per bolt pull. Some fields have a DMR class as well, but that's a waste.

Sniper's are not always using BA and they aren't just hiding, or they wouldn't be very effective. They may utilize some silence and concealment a little more, but I can roll up behind the enemy lines with my M4, proper camo and movement tactics.

Higher FPS isn't always a boost for distance, but it can assist in the running of heavier ammo, which can help accuracy, distance, consistency, but not always. Guns have to be tuned properly, and often expensively, to take advantage of this.

Here's the issue with HPA. Many fields still don't know how to chrono these guns properly. Most platforms drop velocity as heavier weight ammo is introduced, so the kinetic force doesn't rise. HPA units don't do this, causing joule creep. If the field limit is 400 FPS on 0.20g BBs, that equates to 1.5 joules. If I put a 0.28g round in that gun, it's FPS drops down to about 330 FPS, which is still under 1.5 joules respectively. So it doesn't matter which round weight I put in my gun, it stays under the limit. So I can borrow ammo or magazines, from friends, or just switch BBs if I need.

HPA units don't suffer this drop and are even known to increase velocity slightly with heavier weight causing, in some cases, huge joule boosts. If a an HPA unit is chrono'd properly it'll enter the field unable to go over the joule limit with any weight, same as every other gun, so there's no real benefit. It's a loophole that many players use to run with hot guns and get away with it. They likely get chrono'd on 0.20g, and then like everyone else, go to a heavier weight, except their guns now shoot over the limits. So no, although HPA can be very efficient, other than the fact you have to carry a hose and tank, "UGH", they aren't better when put up against the same rules and ammo as other platforms. That's why many fields just ban them, it's easier than learning how to control them properly.
__________________
I’ve developed a new sport I call ‘Airhard’. It’s basically Airsoft, except while you play you must maintain a massive erection...

Last edited by Ricochet; May 24th, 2017 at 16:28..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 13:15   #11
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I can make an AEG joule creep a full joule. An extra 40fps doesnt do much for range.
But ive heard dozens of people claim hpa gets better range. Just so happens every one of those people changed their barrel group when they upgraded too.
Propellants dont increase range. Youve got the same potential for range at 1.6j using co2, propane, hpa, air, or even your lungs.
Remember, hpa is only hpa when its in the tank, once that air is in the barrel, its functioning 100% exactly like an aeg.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 16:28   #12
Ricochet
“How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina?”...
 
Ricochet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Delta, BC (Greater Vancouver)
Other platforms can certainly creep, which is why all guns should be chrono'd the same. Honestly, I'd almost ban creeping AEGs though, just because there's really no excuse for having one. There's so many parts available, no one needs that particular setup.
__________________
I’ve developed a new sport I call ‘Airhard’. It’s basically Airsoft, except while you play you must maintain a massive erection...
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 23:13   #13
BenG
 
BenG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Calgary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
They don't, but I'll let you get some trigger time on it if you're ever out here, the range and accuracy is greatly increased compared the the stock gun before I gutted the mech box.
Ive used HPA guns before,and I dont denie it probably shoots better then it did with the stock mechbox because the consistency is better, like that of a fully upgraded mechbox. The method of propelling the bb doesnt matter, ive shot my friends polar star and it shoots like crap because its bone stock except for the fusion engine, and ive shot another friends gun, also a p* and it shoots amazing because he built and tuned a barrel group to it, it shoots like one of my AEGs. The advantage of HPA is the lack of effort it requires, its like dropping in a fully tuned mechbox, the disadvantage is you become a scuba diver :P
__________________
Administrator for Calgary Airsoft -click here

Age Verifier ~ Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I think that's the direction I should have gone with this one though.
gen1 - I can't see shit
gen2 - I see LOTS of green, but not many people
gen3 - Nobody wants to play with me because I'm an elitist asshole now

Last edited by BenG; May 24th, 2017 at 23:24..
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 23:28   #14
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch
 
Gato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Richmond Hill (Ontario)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Ive used HPA guns before,and I dont denie it probably shoots better then it did with the stock mechbox because the consistency is better, like that of a fully upgraded mechbox. The method of propelling the bb doesnt matter, ive shot my friends polar star and it shoots like crap because its bone stock except for the fusion engine, and ive shot another friends gun, also a p* and it shoots amazing because he built and tuned a barrel group to it, it shoots like one of my AEGs. The advantage of HPA is the lack of effort it requires, its like dropping in a fully tuned mechbox, the disadvantage is you become a scuba diver :P
We'll see who's at a disadvantage when the polar icecaps melt and we're playing under water
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Like seriously dude. The incredible lack of common sense in the question could be scientifically investigated for evidence of a black hole.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 23:36   #15
Ricochet
“How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina?”...
 
Ricochet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Delta, BC (Greater Vancouver)
It's you. I have a harpoon and a shitty attitude...
__________________
I’ve developed a new sport I call ‘Airhard’. It’s basically Airsoft, except while you play you must maintain a massive erection...
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 22:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.