Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Supporting your local businesses.

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old November 27th, 2013, 12:45   #1
TurlteRaph

Supporting your local businesses.

I understand that we all live within our budgets and we all have things that we want. But before you spend your money on mail order parts from the US, think about who you are hurting in the process.

I recently bought a shotgun from the local shop. I have bought enough used gear in the past and I decided to support my local shop. I also bought 6 additional magazines from them. The purchase set me back almost $300. It is good money that I just spend, and I think back about why I did it . Being a little older and run a small business, I can't help but to think I made the right choice.

Here are the reasons:

• The money that I just spend will stay in the local economy. The shop owner will have the money to pay his employees, his landlord, his mortgage, his car payment, his suppliers, and other people who he owe money to.

• The guy who runs the shop is part of the community. He doesn't just own the shop to make a profit. He runs games, workshop and often offer his help to inexperience players. How can you not give back to a guy who gives to the community? I rather give money to the people that I play with.

• Buying a product is more than just paying for the goods and leave. I go to the shop and I am looking for the service/advice as well. I can do all the research on the internet, but nothing beats talking to a real live person who I can have interaction with. Specially someone who knows the local scene and how the products will do in the local games.

If you can, support your local shops!!
TurlteRaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 13:00   #2
L473ncy

Dude, I do the same at my LBS. BUT that said, sometimes you can never beat the likes of Jenson or ChainReaction (or whatever the airsoft version of that is). I'm all for supporting local, hell I just dropped close to $600 3 months ago at a local store AND they tried to match the online price of a similar retailer as closely as possible, they could only beat the price on 2 of the smaller items but overall I paid maybe like 5% more and got it all in my hands in about a week and a half (2 items were out of stock and they needed to order from their supplier but I took the rest that day). Now THAT is service that I can stand behind.
Old November 27th, 2013, 13:09   #3
ShelledPants

I converse with the local shops to bring in products that I like that will sell. If I can't convince them to bring it in, I will order outside of Canada, but I honestly haven't had to buy out of the province for the last 4 years.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 13:31   #4
K3vX

I order from local websites when they are worth it (Meaning I only pay a little more to have the item faster than overseas), or when I'm impressed by their service. There's a few shops that I will always check before anything else, and if they have the item I want, I order it from them, even if they are not the cheaper.

But, as some people already said, sometimes you NEED to order overseas to get what you want.
K3vX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 23:34   #5
localfreerider
willing to perform services in a dark alley that may or may not leave you satisfied for a title. GFE = 1, looks = 2, BBFS for an extra $50.

+1 for Jenson and ChainReaction

..... wait, what were we talking about again? :P
localfreerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 00:14   #6
TurlteRaph

Jenson and Chain Reacions have crazy prices, but I can be mechanical challenge sometimes...I still need my LBS to rescue me from stripped bolts and overly tightened pedals..

It's funny that you mentioned LBS. I needed grease to repack my headset before a race and I went to my LBS for a tube of grease. When I got there, they were out of grease. I was disappointed and was going to drive to a different shop. Instead, he gave me some grease from the workshop for free and put it in a small ziplock bag.

That's why I like going to my LBS.

now back to Airsoft.....
TurlteRaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 23:09   #7
onizukahibino

Send a message via MSN to onizukahibino
I agree, I shop locally for guns and pistols, not just because it's already in canada, passed custom, duty paid~ hassle free! even though i have to paid a little extra on top but come to think of it... I don't have to wait for the shipping, I can walk in, point finger, and pick up what i want and play with it right away~

I've tried order online before, took 2 month to get to me, and with currency conversion and shipping + the lovely tax. how much do I really save?

and! what happen if I got a broken gun? the shop I deal with offer me exchange no question ask or even refund! and after i become a regular shopper, they pretty much offer me better price!

but i still do shop online~ for accessories or parts that are not carried here!~

then again... the shop i deal offer to help me order with their dealer discount!

to me~ a good retailer will do everything to keep a good on going relationship!!

so i'm all for local businesses!!!!
onizukahibino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 21:11   #8
▼Stripes▲

Local shops are the way to go. Went into a local shop on Friday. Told the guy about how my gear and guns got stolen from my truck, and the guy was a total bro, hooked me up with a glock at sale price and an extra mag and propane adapter at ten percent off.
▼Stripes▲ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 14:14   #9
Mcbain500

I have no problems supporting my local shops as longs as they understand the difference between profit and gouging.
Mcbain500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 20:42   #10
Jbone 11 11

Supporting local shops is one thing...and if it makes sense I do, specially for airsoft stuff. But in general I don't buy into the "support the locals" routine as Canada's trade policies are total horse shit and we get bullied into buying Canadian instead of being trusted to buy Canadian by those policies. I buy bike parts from the states almost exclusively because of this. A rear tire for one of my bikes is $250 here in Canada, yet I can get the same exact tire shipped to Ogdensberg NY, a mere 40min drive, for just over half that at best and about $100 less at worst. Explain that one....I mean how is a $100 mark up justifiable....Free Trade anyone?

Frankly if people want Canadians to stop buying from the states and support local business' more, start pressuring your govt. by letting them know this is BS.

Now asia on the other hand.....well, can't really compete price wise, but even then....some items have become almost as expensive. But I don't buy much from asia as you never know what you're going to get unless you do a lot of shopping and know what to look for. And the wait is just too much for me anyways
Jbone 11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 21:12   #11
Chiba

It really depends on what I need. Like most people mentioned, if its' not sold locally, I'm purchasing it elsewhere.

Now if the local shops can have crazy sales like in the US, I would be inclined to buy some more.
Chiba is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion