Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Airsoft Store Canada Presents - How To Install an R-Hop

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old April 18th, 2013, 20:13   #1
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Arrow Airsoft Store Canada Presents - How To Install an R-Hop

Okay so finally, here it is. Probably not the best video I've made but it should answer a LOT of questions for a LOT of people.

Comes with 50% more accuracy and consistency tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKlKmCgxmlE

A perfectly-installed R-hop from a Z-kit and what it should look like.
Perfectly-installed R-hop - YouTube

Any questions, post below.

Last edited by Stealth; September 24th, 2013 at 21:02..
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 20:55   #2
wind_comm

THIS. couldn't have explained it any better. +9001 =D

first installs (and the old method) tend to look like Russian Torpedo Rocket ! - YouTube

so first timers: don't sweat it.
Old April 18th, 2013, 21:16   #3
iKliiu

Oh no, the secret is officially out! Anyways, good guide on explaining the basics of a R-hop installation.
iKliiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 20:43   #4
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

Awesome man!

Question now though, what is the other part of the hop kit tool for? The triangle thinger?
Old April 19th, 2013, 21:56   #5
zone 69

Nice I can even do it now. I been using the O rings on the barrel for year's now.

The triangle thinger, let me guess it's to gage the R-patch is flush with the out side of the barrel.

Last edited by zone 69; April 19th, 2013 at 22:02..
zone 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 23:53   #6
Chiba

Been doing that. I can still never get the outside of the r-hop to sand down flush with the barrel entirely no matter how much I sand (of course not below the outside of inner barrel). This causes the r-hop to push down sometimes.

Also I find my R-hop isn't consistently applying spin.. sometimes I have to shoot a few BBs (it would shoot like under hopped) before it is giving me a nominal trajectory.

Anyone have an idea why? Let me know if you need specs.
Chiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 00:23   #7
wind_comm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiba View Post
Been doing that. I can still never get the outside of the r-hop to sand down flush with the barrel entirely no matter how much I sand (of course not below the outside of inner barrel). This causes the r-hop to push down sometimes.

Also I find my R-hop isn't consistently applying spin.. sometimes I have to shoot a few BBs (it would shoot like under hopped) before it is giving me a nominal trajectory.

you can use a razor blade (super thin single-edges or a halved double-edge shaving blade is perfect) to cut the outside of the patch. doesn't come out as clean, but is easier...also easier to screw up too. ymmv. the sanding method definitely takes a little patience.

when you're adjusting your hop up (same goes for 99% of all hop up units on the market, r-hop'd or not) make sure to adjust up (increase hop) slightly after decreasing the hop setting to have the unit apply pressure properly.
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:25   #8
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Awesome man!

Question now though, what is the other part of the hop kit tool for? The triangle thinger?
The shelf? It's basically in case you need to rework the R-hop patch channel in any way. It also makes it easier to hold if you're doing some sanding. I glued some sandpaper to the inside surface to hold patches better but for the most part I haven't really needed to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiba View Post

Like I said in the video, your first install isn't going to be amazing, but if you're lifting .25g+ then a LITTLE bit of protrusion/intrusion isn't going to break the deal.
What hop nub are you using?

Also, are you testing out with a completely full mag? I ask because sometimes your tappet plate spring isn't strong enough and upward pressure of BBs pushes the nozzle out of alignment. If so, test again with a half-loaded mag.
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:46   #9
Chiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
The shelf? It's basically in case you need to rework the R-hop patch channel in any way. It also makes it easier to hold if you're doing some sanding. I glued some sandpaper to the inside surface to hold patches better but for the most part I haven't really needed to use it.

Like I said in the video, your first install isn't going to be amazing, but if you're lifting .25g+ then a LITTLE bit of protrusion/intrusion isn't going to break the deal.
What hop nub are you using?

Also, are you testing out with a completely full mag? I ask because sometimes your tappet plate spring isn't strong enough and upward pressure of BBs pushes the nozzle out of alignment. If so, test again with a half-loaded mag.
Its not amazing I agree. My inner radius of the r-hop is fine, its the the outsideof the patch. Its always close, but not flush, causing some over hop sometimes. I was hopping 0.3g using a MAG midcap for M4.

I was using a stock G&P tappet plate spring, so hopefully its not that. If so, I guess I should just cut the spring a coil to make it stronger. Is there a place in Toronto to get springs?

I was using a regular round nub as I was still trying out the R-hop.
Chiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:11   #10
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

use some silicone oil on the sand paper and give it the ole shoe polish style sanding while it's glued on the barrel... if you have a 6mm cylinder insert it into the barrel to keep the shape of the patch so it doesn't collapse while you apply sanding pressure, just be careful you don't scratch the inside of the barrel.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:14   #11
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

I'm going to jump in and say that the quality, distance and consistency of your groupings with the R-hop system is DIRECTLY attributed to how uniform and consistent the inner r-hop channel is. That's why I highly recommend not touching it at all and to run a Prometheus Flat-hop tensioner for maximum contact area of that patch.
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:03   #12
JDoorn

Does the r-hop work with 2 piece hop up units? I dont see why it wouldn't, just wondering if there's something I should watch for with a 2 piece...
JDoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 16:44   #13
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Doesn't matter whether it's 1-peice or 2piece. Although 2-piece systems I have found to be more "lossy"
Old May 2nd, 2013, 17:00   #14
BennyBoy

So I finally got it installed. I only bought 2000 grit at first and that was imposssible. I kept applying oil and made my patch swell a lot. Had to recut it to fit, bought some 400 grit sandpaper and now it's finally installed. There is no barrel intrusion on inside or outside of barrel and the hop up is engaging normally.

Going to have to go to my old mans place to do tests, but it looks pretty good. Wish they gave a little bigger patch for how much they cost and for people who screw up like me.

! On mobile; sorry for any spelling mistakes or autocorrects!
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 17:12   #15
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

it shouldn't be swelling if you're using the right silicone oil.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications