Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Potential damage from airsoft.

:

General

Old October 19th, 2014, 21:08   #16
volteco

You would need a PAL airgun (1000+ fps) or a firearm.
volteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 21:10   #17
siggypoo

Looks like a shovel will be my best bet next time.
Animal Control came, so for the nonce it's not somethin I need to worry about.
I've broken animals' necks before, this one was torn enough to make that unrealistic. Living central Oshawa real firearms are out, besides I sold mine in favour of airsoft.

Last edited by siggypoo; October 19th, 2014 at 21:15..
siggypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 21:23   #18
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

You'll kill it for sure with enough 400fps point blank, but it's not as humane as a knife, or shovel, or breaking its neck.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 21:27   #19
Wrath144
formerly steyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequential View Post
Not too sure if a 495 FPS gun with a .22 at point blank will kill it... And will probably put the animal through much more pain. To end a living beings life, a real firearm would be needed. I doubt the BB will even go half way through the animal at point blank. Sorry using an airsoft gun to end an animals suffering sounds just plain stupid.
Seriously? Have you ever fired a 495 fps .22 air rifle? They can make clean holes through 1/4" plywood with the right ammo...
Old October 19th, 2014, 21:32   #20
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Get a legitimate pellet rifle and the ammo meant for hunting shit like squirrels. problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequential View Post
Not too sure if a 495 FPS gun with a .22 at point blank will kill it... And will probably put the animal through much more pain. To end a living beings life, a real firearm would be needed.
Then you know nothing. You're probably the same type who'd try for headshots while hunting or advocate leg and arm shots be used by the police. Simple fact is, you're wrong and they are used quite often for small game hunting.

While most "Canadian tire" rifles at 495 fps are used for plinking and some hunters get higher fps for their purpose, the 495 fps rifles with the correct ammo are more than capable of taking small game such as rabbit, squirrel, coon and some even use it to deal with crow and chipmunk problems instead of hunting.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified

Last edited by Gato; October 19th, 2014 at 21:40..
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 21:37   #21
hollywood...
cranky old man

it sounds cold but,...

a framing hammer solves the problem pretty fast
Old October 19th, 2014, 21:41   #22
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood... View Post
it sounds cold but,...

Same as a shovel or a fish club. May sound cold but mercy is mercy.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 21:51   #23
Kungpow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood... View Post
it sounds cold but,...

Choose one... might make a mess though.
Kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 21:56   #24
Jaelommiss

I'm a personal fan of the hatchet and stump method for when my dogs get a squirrel or chicken. Both bladed and blunt ends work well enough in my experience.
Jaelommiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 22:10   #25
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

From experiance:

Airsoft: require a mag full to kill a pigeon. So it's unpractical and inhumane.
Pellet rifle: Work very well. Aim for vitals. Avoid shooting at the head of small mamals. Birds are heasy to kill.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 22:56   #26
Drake
E-01

+1

Don't use airsoft. Ever. Period.

.177 cal pellet under 500 fps is not sufficient for anything larger than a field mouse or small birds.

.22 cal pellet (heavy weight hunting round, don't be stupid and use a wadcutter or something) under 500 fps can kill squirrels or small rabbits. Like hunting anything else, shot placement is important: EDUCATE YOURSELF BEFORE YOU DO IT. Don't do headshots with low power air guns, skulls are harder than you might think.

Otherwise use a knife or a shovel (spade) or snap its neck. Don't just let it suffer to death.
Old October 19th, 2014, 23:02   #27
Sequential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
Then you know nothing. You're probably the same type who'd try for headshots while hunting or advocate leg and arm shots be used by the police. Simple fact is, you're wrong and they are used quite often for small game hunting.
Wow. Just wow. You're probably the same type of who'd try for headshots while hunting?
A.) I don't go hunting.
B.) I never go for headshots, unless its Counter-Strike.
C.) F#%K off. Really? You're going to make assumptions of my character based on a comment I made on ASC? Get real. No wonder you are labelled "ASC's Whiny Bitch".

Last edited by Sequential; October 19th, 2014 at 23:11..
Sequential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:30   #28
FirestormX

I was in a similar situation too. I accidentally jumped on the head of one of my pet chinchillas. I wasn't sure what to do, and more than freaked out. It took a few minutes to die, but fortunately it wasn't too prolonged.

Later on, someone suggested that if you don't have the stomach to kill the animal with your hands - or want to avoid a mess - you should put the animal in a bag, and hook it up to the tail pipe of your car.

It's not the most pleasant way to die, but if you're squeamish like me and can't bring yourself to provide a more hands on death, the gassing is an option better than prolonged suffering.
FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:43   #29
Bakasaur
Shit Geyser

Airsoft is a big no no. That's what we use to get the red squirrels from trying to burrow into our roof. (One actually managed to eat through the roof and ended up in our kitchen. So we needed to do it)

When my cat decided to be an asshole and bring mice/small birds into the house half-alive, I brought it outside and used a 495fps 0.177, and ballistic ammo (the expensive stuff at Canadian tire) with a point blank shot through the bottom of the jaw into the head, or a shovel. Whatever was easy to get at so it didn't need to suffer.

For larger stuff (my dog loved to bring moles in), I used a spade and a very hard hit on concrete to put it out of misery. Nothing that'd risk putting it in more pain.
Bakasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:05   #30
siggypoo

Yup, and that's what I want.
I gotta say, if ASC users looked at my signature or learned a thing about me, it's that I DO know dogs well more than a little.
I didn't want to start a conflict with this topic, and I've gleaned already that the hardest airsoft isn't adequate, and I'm window-shopping a stronger air gun in case such happens again.
Back on topic, my vet niece is pretty sure the bunny would be put down because it's not a pet and its bones would be too fine to pin. The Animal Services rep who came out said he's seen bunnies worse off than what I surrendered, and they recovered.
Shayla isn't the kind to BS, and Animal Services may've been trying to console the surrendee. But I like hearing that maybe the lil thing might be okay.

Last edited by siggypoo; October 20th, 2014 at 12:07..
siggypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General