Replacing the gasket in a KSC Glock mag

:

Gas Gun Solutions

Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:34   #1
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Replacing the gasket in a KSC Glock mag

Ok, time for me to ask for advice from the experts.

One of my KSC G19 mags got a leak in it a few months ago, by filling it and dunking the bottom half of it in water I determined that the gas escapes out the bottom corner of the base, meaning the internal gasket needs replacing.

So, I ordered two KSC G17/G18 mag gaskets, will have them today, and have my mag apart waiting. Any tips on how to make a perfect seal the first time? Am going to wipe silly oil on it beforehand, but wondering if any problems I might encounter during and after, and how to properly do this. Maybe white lithium grease covering the gasket might be better because it's thicker?
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:12   #2
Kwokwai

Send a message via ICQ to Kwokwai Send a message via MSN to Kwokwai Send a message via Yahoo to Kwokwai
I did the same thing recently for a couple of old G17 mags of mine. Don't need anything special but getting the pins back in will be a bit tricky as the gasket tends to naturally push the base out but that's about it.
Kwokwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:18   #3
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Thanks, I tried putting it back together (after I took it apart, with the old gasket) and found the same, the gasket pushes on the base making the holes a challenge to line up. After a few mins I decided to stop, since I'd have to do it all over again with the new gasket.

So, you had first time success? Oil on the gasket help? Am sure it needs oil anyways, since it shrinks and causes leaking mags (my Omega 93R had the same problem, and remains unfixed after trying a few things like epoxy to plug the holes and such.)
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:55   #4
Jugglez

Location: Swimming in a pool of Xpresspost receipts.... Toronto - 400/401
I've had success applying gasket sealants used by automotive technicians. Something like this: http://doityourself.com/store/8486870.htm Canadian Tire and Walmart should have something similar, if you don't already have some in the garage. :tup:
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:16   #5
Kwokwai

Send a message via ICQ to Kwokwai Send a message via MSN to Kwokwai Send a message via Yahoo to Kwokwai
Definitely lube the gasket well with silicon oil prior to reassembly but that's about it. A bunch of elbow grease and a small 8oz ballpeen (sp?) hammer to tap it in. I basically put it base down on a desk/table near the edge to pushed down with even pressure to mate up the holes and tapped the pins in slowly while I was pushing down.
Kwokwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:49   #6
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Thanks guys!
Old November 24th, 2005, 21:12   #7
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Fixed! Thanks guys! Bought some of the gasket goo that Jugglez suggested, used it to almost fix the leak in my Omega 93R (at least I was able to shoot it, still need to deal with the release valve) but I got my new KSC Glock gaskets today, covered in oil and stuck it in. Didn't bother with the goo this time, had a bugger of a time getting both pins in. What I did? Tapered one end of each pin, so it'd press the end cap down when entering the holes, and found best is to put a pin in one side, tap it partially in, then put the other pin in on the opposite side, then tap one flush, then the other. Filled the mag, loaded some BBs in, found the few few shots wouldn't even cycle the slide at all, put some oil in all the parts, rubbed the release valve gasket with it, loaded more, propane again, knocked off every shot without a burp. Another bunch of BBs in it, all fired and cycles just fine.

Thanks for all your help, glad I posted this, and it'll make a damn fine resource for future people to successfully fix their mags.
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:05   #8
JohnnyDo

Send a message via MSN to JohnnyDo
I know this is an old thread but wanted to add some content.

I used some good ol' 5 minute epoxy to fix my mags. Took mag apart, used alcohol to clean all parts and old seal, and wipe down with lint free cloth. mix up some epoxy and apply all around the inside of the mag body where the seal comes into contact. Be sure to apply a liberal ammount as you want a good thick seal. Then I applied epoxy to the base of the mag then all around the seal itself. Put the seal on the base of the mag and made sure a liberal ammount of epoxy was surrounding the seal. Inserted teh base of the mag into the mag body and put in the retaining pins. Let dry for a good 12 hours and I was good to go. Mag has yet to fail on me again and it's been well over 6 months.

If you ever need to remove epoxy for any reason .. dissasemble the mag so there is no longer any rubber or plastic peices on the mag. Heat the mag with a heat gun (empty gas first of course) until the mag body is well over 110*C. 5 minute epoxy begins to break down at around 100 - 110*C ... heating up the mag will cause the epoxy to break down and fail and thus release it's hold ... once heated to this temp it's also very very easy to clean off the epoxy still left inside the mag body and on the base plate. I do this almost daily at work with $90 military connectors so I know it's a tried and true method to unlock epoxy.

*note*
regualr epoxy will useually be a better solution if avliable to you as it has a better tempurature range when it's hard and it makes a better and longer laster joint. I always have a tube or two of the 5 min stuff handy so I use that.
JohnnyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner > Gas Gun Solutions