Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Are AEG parts interchangeable for most brands?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:30   #1
zzzzsleepy8

Are AEG parts interchangeable for most brands?

I used to own TM products many moons ago back in HS. But for the past decade I have not kept up to date in this scene, and am currently unaware of developments.

Are AEG parts interchangeable between manufacturers? Specifically Im looking into the M4.

I understand TM is hard to come by nowadays. For newer AEGs, for example, I am looking at King Arms, G&P, G&G, Ares, and Echo1 - are parts interchangeable? For example, magazines, battery connectors, internal components, stock, buffer tube, outer barrel threads etc?

I want to be able to buy a stock product first and then upgrade as I go along.

My inclination, based on the type of AEG they are, my guess is Ares and Echo1 are low quality products, and probably use proprietary parts that don't work with everybody else? So that leaves King Arms, G&P, G&G, TM all with generally interchangeable parts?

Are the parts even removable on most of these products? For example, there are stock AEGs out there where I like some of the parts, but may be missing others. Is it safe to assume the external body comes with the same construction and threads, where you can simply remove a part and put another in? There won't be any parts that are glued together right from most of these manufacturers?

Last edited by zzzzsleepy8; February 3rd, 2014 at 06:45..
zzzzsleepy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:45   #2
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Most manufacturers are TM spec.
You will come across the odd part here or there that isnt compatible or is proprietary but,
the vast majority of guns use a standard V2 mechbox in the M4, with at the internals being upgradeable. External parts much the same.
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:34   #3
zzzzsleepy8

Oh great thanks.

Interestingly, I was just browsing the m4 thread and came across ur m4. Nice m4. Do you have the KA m4 pistol with a mod where you added a buffer tube and a stock? I guess I can redirect subsequent discussions over to that thread. But this is a similar mod to what I want to do too.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 17:59   #4
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Yes started out as a KA m4 pistol.
added the stock, new barrels, rear wired it.

now word of caution, when attaching a buffer tube you'll notice that the tube coming off the lower receiver is very short.
I was unaware of this, and if I had know I would have bought the Tanker series.
Old February 4th, 2014, 10:16   #5
zzzzsleepy8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.T.Z View Post
Yes started out as a KA m4 pistol.
added the stock, new barrels, rear wired it.

now word of caution, when attaching a buffer tube you'll notice that the tube coming off the lower receiver is very short.
I was unaware of this, and if I had know I would have bought the Tanker series.
What is the disadvantage of the shorter tube attached to the lower as you say in terms of affecting the mounting of the buffer tube or the final construction?

The m4 pistol has battery wired for the front. Is there enough wire length on the stock to bring it all the way back to the back of the stock if you want to wire batteries @ the stock?

Yeah, I am deciding between that or the tanker. The thing I dont like about the tanker is the fixed front sight and longer barrel. For the CQB look I want, this will either mean I need to buy a new shorter inner and outer barrel, or change the entire front grip contraption with an aftermarket kit for the tanker. The m4 pistol has the front I sorta like, but the tanker has the back I like. I figure it costs a lot less getting the m4 pistol, adding a stock and maybe changing out the muzzle flash, than a tanker and changing the front assembly.

Last edited by zzzzsleepy8; February 4th, 2014 at 10:38..
Old February 4th, 2014, 19:12   #6
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

some stock tubes may have mounting issues.

and you'd need to open up the gearbox and replace the wire harness for a rear wired one to get the batteries in the back.
Old February 5th, 2014, 20:07   #7
zzzzsleepy8

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into getting it to work.
Old February 6th, 2014, 00:58   #8
moz_boz
hates all f'n Americans

Not all M4 mags are 100% compatible...you may have some feeding issues due to some hop-up design variations.
Old February 7th, 2014, 18:28   #9
carllehot

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.T.Z View Post
some stock tubes may have mounting issues.

and you'd need to open up the gearbox and replace the wire harness for a rear wired one to get the batteries in the back.
Can we do rear to front in the same way ?
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:22   #10
zzzzsleepy8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllehot View Post
Can we do rear to front in the same way ?
Yeah. I took a look at the gearbox layout. Most version 2 gearboxes have channels that allow the wire to run around. It can either go out the front side near the trigger or it can be snaked out the back for rear battery.

You pretty much have to open the gearbox (which is a massive hassle with the spring, especially a high powered one) to re-wire the battery leads out the back or front.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion