Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

G&g tr16 556 G2 spring upgrade

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old January 8th, 2019, 17:58   #1
The_Jelly

G&g tr16 556 G2 spring upgrade

Hi guys, new to the forum but have been actively reading forum posts and the community here sounds awesome and extremely helpful.

I have been playing airsoft for just over a year now and have managed to accumulate 3 guns. The lastest purchuse is the TR16 G2.

I have had 2 games with the gun and was a little disappointed at how far it shot. Now I know the limitations of the AEG platform regarding distance but I did feel as though the gun could offer a little more. I decided to try a maple leaf bucking and nub and this did assist tremendously as the stock blue fang type bucking was useless. I also tried a flat hop with a prommy purple bucking and modify flat hop nub but it was very close to the maple leaf. After testing the 2 hop combinations I decided to chrono the gun and saw it was only shooting 350fps on. 20g BB's, with about a 3fps varient between shots.

Our local field limits set DMR's to 450FPS and I would like to get gun just over 400fps. Seeing as it already has a Double oring cylinder head and air nozzle, I believe the next path is a spring?

I have my eye set on a guarder sp120 to put me between 400fps and 430fps depending on how good the air seal is. I will be using the gun stock for a few more Games just to allow the gun to bed it self in nicely before changing the spring out, but I would just like to confrim that :

1. The extra fps will aid in slightly further shots?

2. The FPS target is roughly accurate with the SP120 spring?

3. Sp120 or m130?

4. It is safe to do so and no other part requires upgrades?

I look Forward to your input

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited by The_Jelly; January 9th, 2019 at 02:09..
The_Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 10:41   #2
Zfurlong

1 - possibly, however not necessary. I have an echo1 ak that clocks in at 320 fps on .2's. and when I use .3's in game I'm reaching 220 feet with it
2 - yeah a 120 is roughly 400-410 depending on air seal as well as other parts inside the gun
3 - 120 would be the go to generally
4 - yes it is safe to do so without other parts, however you may need to correct the aoe (angle of engagement) on the piston
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:24   #3
The_Jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfurlong View Post
1 - possibly, however not necessary. I have an echo1 ak that clocks in at 320 fps on .2's. and when I use .3's in game I'm reaching 220 feet with it
2 - yeah a 120 is roughly 400-410 depending on air seal as well as other parts inside the gun
3 - 120 would be the go to generally
4 - yes it is safe to do so without other parts, however you may need to correct the aoe (angle of engagement) on the piston
Since this post I have found out that the gun ships with the sector gear short stroked.
The piston is 15 tooth and the sector gear is 13tooth. So the gun actually has an m120 in it and shoots 350FPS due to the short stroke. Would it make more sense to replace the sector with a 15tooth one so that I can get my FPS back to ~400FPS with the m120?

I hear you on the fact that FPS is not everything. Do you have an R-hop, flat hop, or a maple leaf system?

It's a new gun I to be honest I wouldn't like to take the gear box apart if I can avoid it. I'd rather run it stock until something breaks. The box does have a quick spring change system which is why I considered the spring upgrade. What do you suggest?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
The_Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 03:42   #4
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Since this post I have found out that the gun ships with the sector gear short stroked.
The piston is 15 tooth and the sector gear is 13tooth
Where did you find/see that?

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 22:37   #5
Cr0nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Where did you find/see that?
Ya boy Fritz here has a gearbox takedown video, its the MBR 308 but iirc its the same internals as the 556, check 37min 30sec and you can see the gearset:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StFef4l-6_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jelly View Post
...the stock blue fang type bucking was useless.
I bought the 556 G2 last spring, and while I really like it overall for a stock gun I completely agree; the stock hopup rubber & bucking suck.
The nub is really soft and the two contact points on the bucking are tiny.
The stock setup feels like the first 90% of the hop up adjustment has little to no effect, while the last 10% provides a little hop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jelly View Post
...I was a little disappointed at how far it shot.
Out of curiosity what was yours shooting out of the box? Mine was ~370-380 and I was able to engage people out to 190-200 ft with... I think I was shooting .28s or .30s.

Update:

I should also mention while we're all complaining about the gun: the design of the ambi fire selector is hot garbage. The retaining screws don't come with any loctite on them and ongoing/normal operation of the fire selector will actually cause both sides to loosen and eventually completely unscrew themselves. This also causes some mechanical lag between the left and right selectors: the left can be clicked into place on semi, while the right is slightly out of place and vice versa: this can cause it to randomly switch modes. I nearly lost my selector in a swamp the first time I fielded it, I had to physically duct tape the selector in place on semi on both sides of the gun because I didn't have a small enough hex key in my emergency tools to tighten it.

If you buy this gun, do yourself a favor and loctite the screws on both sides of the selector, and better yet: just remove the right side selector entirely. I replaced mine with a 3D printed plug.

Last edited by Cr0nik; January 23rd, 2019 at 20:07..
Cr0nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 06:35   #6
Gh3kko

G2 GB

I also have the tr16 556 and bought a G2 gearbox for my gng SRL to replace the aging one(piston was locking up threw parts at it did not resolve). I have massive disappointment with GNG and this would probably be my last purchase as a new rifle from them.

Gng G2 standalone gearbox:
-Piston head had no ports, cylinder was ported, stock fps on m120 was 310fps with .2 gng bss
-Replaced piston head with stock srl ported one, fps jumped to 365fps
-the GB also did not come with the mosfet as advertised the went for ± U$D75 in my area, thus I sourced a gate titan from uk via a friend.
-replacing the ported cylinder with full only made a few fps differences less than 10, this is where I looked closer to find the sector only has 13 teeth.
-some fyi with the gate I removed so much parts it was probably not worth the money to buy the g2 in the first place, but I do like how it runs now.

TR 16 556
-Stock fps was 362 on .2 gng bbs
-replaced cylinder with full(this gb did have the same gng ported piston head as the SRL) and it jumped to around 382fps on .2 gng bbs
-Replaced the insane long stock barrel with an CA scar 384mm 6.03 brass and the fps jumped to 407(stock tr 16 barrel is 463mm also 6.03mm)
-the hop was change to a Maxx tracer hop, some mods to the rifle to allow it to feed, it kept on jamming with the bucking lips folding over itself (I did not want to change the nozzle to a shorter one)
-Bucking is a maple leave yellow 60 deg
-been running like this for around 10 months and only this weekend broke the piston head(replaced with a modify polycarb one.

The Tr16 was advertised as a quick change, which it has, but you have to take the gearbox out of the body to do the spring change, gng had all the opportunity to design their rifles like ares where you just pop the stock/buffer off the change the spring.

Things I want to try is to put my srl sector in both rifles and see how much RPS I loose and how much FPS I gain, the TR I might need to drop to a m110 to be field legal here and the SRL might just go up to the limit.

Let me know if you guys want pics of the inside/sector ect
Gh3kko is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications