Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Magpul PTS PDR-C Mag Stuck

:

Doctor's Corner

Old February 19th, 2016, 21:17   #1
Zazk

Magpul PTS PDR-C Mag Stuck

I just got a PTS PDR-C.

All seemed well and good, until I put a "PTS Enhanced Polymer Magazine ( 150rds ) Black" into it.

Now the thing is stuck in there, and I can't seem to get it off. I've attempted to remove the gearbox, but the gearbox is secured by screws in the magwell, and I've tried loosening off the mag release a bit, but that didn't work either.

I'm curious why it's getting stuck in the first place.

Any ideas?
Zazk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 05:56   #2
#lovemachine

Try removing the stock pad as well as the rear and middle body pins.. swing the body up and you should see a part that has two screws near the right hand side of the gun.

Loosen up the screws a little while pressing on the mag release until it resets correctly.. the mags should release/lock in without further problems.
#lovemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 15:51   #3
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazk View Post
I can't seem to get it off.
Get it out?...
Old February 21st, 2016, 15:56   #4
spartan117

the magwell on pdr is a bit tight. Push the mag up into the gun more to alleviate some pressure on the mag catch then while doing all that try pressing the mag release and pull the mag out
spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 17:36   #5
Zazk

Quote:
Originally Posted by #lovemachine View Post
Try removing the stock pad as well as the rear and middle body pins.. swing the body up and you should see a part that has two screws near the right hand side of the gun.

Loosen up the screws a little while pressing on the mag release until it resets correctly.. the mags should release/lock in without further problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan117 View Post
the magwell on pdr is a bit tight. Push the mag up into the gun more to alleviate some pressure on the mag catch then while doing all that try pressing the mag release and pull the mag out
These are both things I've read elsewhere, and I'm afraid they haven't worked. I've even had a friend help me pull, while holding the release down.

https://youtu.be/PDbh7o1lYaU

I've also tried pressing the mag release manually on the gearbox, with no luck. It just seems like the mag release isn't coming out enough to let go. It also seems like nobody else has had this problem.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Zazk; February 21st, 2016 at 17:50..
Old February 21st, 2016, 23:15   #6
RainyEyes

Quote:
These are both things I've read elsewhere, and I'm afraid they haven't worked. I've even had a friend help me pull, while holding the release down.

https://youtu.be/PDbh7o1lYaU

I've also tried pressing the mag release manually on the gearbox, with no luck. It just seems like the mag release isn't coming out enough to let go. It also seems like nobody else has had this problem.

Thanks guys.
It looks like the mag release catches onto the back of the magazine. I can see that it's pivoting from the back, which shows to me that it is still caught on the mag release.

First of all, try to keep your gun right side up so that if the magazine does miraculously get released, it drops to the ground and doesn't stay in the magwell.

If i am a smart man, and I am not, the only thing I can recommend is to get a METAL ruler and try to shim it against the mag catch and the magazine. The mag catch is angled in a way that should allow the ruler to slide onto the hole on the side of the magazine. Push the ruler against the mag release so that it gets out of the groove hole in the magazine and pull both of them out at the same time.

Do this for both sides, perhaps, because I do not know if it interacts with the holes on both sides of the magazine.

This will work if there is sufficient clearance between the magwell and the magazine. If not, you will need something much thinner and flexible to get up into that groove where the mag release interacts with the magazine.

Last edited by RainyEyes; February 21st, 2016 at 23:21.. Reason: Added image.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 23:36   #7
Zazk

After further inspection with a light, you're right. It IS still caught on the mag catch. the issue is the mag catch cant retract far enough back to release the mag. So should I ever manage to get it out, I'll need to sand down the mag catch a bit to solve the issue. I just tried a butter knife with no success. I'll report back after I try some other things I can find.
Old February 21st, 2016, 23:47   #8
RainyEyes

Quote:
After further inspection with a light, you're right. It IS still caught on the mag catch. the issue is the mag catch cant retract far enough back to release the mag. So should I ever manage to get it out, I'll need to sand down the mag catch a bit to solve the issue. I just tried a butter knife with no success. I'll report back after I try some other things I can find.
You need something with larger surface area that doesn't have a fat handle in order to wedge it in properly. I wouldn't recommend a butter knife just because of the risk of cutting any wires... even if it is a butter knife :P

If in the event there is not enough physical space for your mag catch to retract, the other option is to disassemble the mag release button and hope that whatever is holding it together releases and allows you enough space to push the mag catch out of the hole.

I'm basing this off an M4 mag release button but I assume that it would be different on a PTS.

Are you wedging the knife in from the top or the bottom of the mag well?
Old February 21st, 2016, 23:59   #9
Zazk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyEyes View Post
You need something with larger surface area that doesn't have a fat handle in order to wedge it in properly. I wouldn't recommend a butter knife just because of the risk of cutting any wires... even if it is a butter knife :P

If in the event there is not enough physical space for your mag catch to retract, the other option is to disassemble the mag release button and hope that whatever is holding it together releases and allows you enough space to push the mag catch out of the hole.

I'm basing this off an M4 mag release button but I assume that it would be different on a PTS.

Are you wedging the knife in from the top or the bottom of the mag well?
Bottom, and the mag catch only attaches to one side. The issue with the mag release pin that holds it in, is you can't actually get to it without removing the Gearbox, which is mounted by screws inside of the magwell.

I'll take your advice, and try to find a metal ruler tomorrow. Here are the mags I have. The Stock mag (left) worked fine. (I may have to shave off that lip on the mags to solve the issue.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 859560_10151325734347945_1693377098_o.jpg (180.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1456117294403-1616230409.jpg (751.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Zazk; February 22nd, 2016 at 00:09..
Old February 22nd, 2016, 00:47   #10
RainyEyes

Quote:
Bottom, and the mag catch only attaches to one side. The issue with the mag release pin that holds it in, is you can't actually get to it without removing the Gearbox, which is mounted by screws inside of the magwell.

I'll take your advice, and try to find a metal ruler tomorrow. Here are the mags I have. The Stock mag (left) worked fine. (I may have to shave off that lip on the mags to solve the issue.)
Upon seeing the photo of the gearbox, I have one more thing to recommend. You might want to push the pin out of the mag catch. Hopefully it is not sitting flush against the lower receiver, and that taking out the pin is what will free up space for it to retract enough to get it out of the hole.

I'd recommend using a small L shaped allen key and see if you can angle it so that you're able to hammer it out.

If that doesn't work, proceed with metal ruler trial...

Try to find a metal ruler without the stupid cork backing. Goal is to get the ruler as flush against the gearbox since it is such a tight fit.

Wear gloves, because the ruler might cut you when you're pushing against the mag catch. It WILL push down against you, so you have to try and push it past the mag catch to completely cover the hole.

Last edited by RainyEyes; February 22nd, 2016 at 00:49..
Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:19   #11
Zazk

The mag release actually goes completely through the gearbox to the other side, so I can't actually slide it down. It's shown on the other side here, right beside the wires. Thankfully, the side I'll be jamming stuff into, has no wires on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 858926_10151325734117945_832680070_o.jpg (224.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Zazk; February 22nd, 2016 at 07:38..
Old February 22nd, 2016, 22:14   #12
Zazk

Been at it for a couple hours now. No luck. There is insufficient space to get either a knife or rule between the mag catch, and the mag.

This seems to be a problem that literally nobody else has had.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 22:42   #13
RainyEyes

Quote:
The mag release actually goes completely through the gearbox to the other side, so I can't actually slide it down. It's shown on the other side here, right beside the wires. Thankfully, the side I'll be jamming stuff into, has no wires on it.
The two pictures you show are of two different compartments.

I'm talking about the actual mag catch. Did you try dismantling this part:

Can you push the pin out and see if you can get enough space to shimmy the magazine out. Is it possible to remove the mag catch without interfacing the mag release mechanism so that the thing can be taken out?
Old February 22nd, 2016, 23:07   #14
Zazk

No. The Mag catch cannot be removed without removing the Gearbox. The little piece I was pointing out on the other side is part of the mag catch. It's an upside down L, with the bottom of the L, passing through the bottom of the gearbox, then going down the side into the magwell. The pin that holds it in, sits fairly deeply into the body of the gun.

I'll see if I can find a L shaped Allen key to try and pop the pin out.

(I appreciate your help with this.)

Last edited by Zazk; February 22nd, 2016 at 23:17..
Old February 23rd, 2016, 21:06   #15
Zazk

It is with great regret that I have solved my issue with the stuck magazine. I attempted all suggestions both provided to me, and I could find myself. Thank you for your help guys.

It is just worth noting for the future that PTS EPM 150rd Enhanced Polymer magazine run the risk of getting lodged in the PTS PDR-C. I'll try sanding down my other one to see if I can safely bypass the problem.

edit: Shaved off the top lip on the mag. It works perfectly now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1456279220670-1616230409.jpg (507.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Zazk; February 23rd, 2016 at 21:46..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner