Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Territory Control Poles / Domination Poles project build log

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old August 8th, 2013, 23:50   #31
DonP

Not a lot to look at, just a couple shots of the front panel and mounted LCD. Gives you an idea of what I'm putting together.

The covered material is a piece of Lexan I cut for purposes of BB-proofing the LCD face. It will be masked off on the inside, with a clear window for the LCD to be viewed.

Unless you own a router or some kind of CNC cutting tool (which I do not) then cutting LCD holes into panels totally sucks and is impossible to make it look clean. This way the hole can look like it was cut by a blind woodsman and thanks to the bezel/faceplate all will look clean and professional from the outside.

Last edited by DonP; August 8th, 2013 at 23:53..
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 14:17   #32
DonP

Will have some new info to share soon - and as a side note, a hole saw in this tough ABS is a total pain in the ass. Oh, it cuts nicely enough but the ABS disks get stuck inside the hole saw something fierce.

I wish I could laser-cut ABS, that would solve things nicely. I kind of wish I had a CNC mill - milling out the ABS faceplate is the right way to do this.
Old August 16th, 2013, 17:36   #33
DonP

It's important to recess the LCD into the box prior to putting the Lexan on. The Lexan might be BB proof, but whacking it with a BB while it's in contact with the LCD means giving the LCD quite a jolt regardless of stopping the BB or not. Better to have the LCD isolated from the lexan cover.

Also sticking with plain old buttons front and center for this unit.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 13:19   #34
DonP

Just a heads up, doing some boring software work as well as bits and bobs of mounting things. I know it's boring to look at right now, but all this groundwork will pay off once all 3 poles are up and running.

Old September 4th, 2013, 16:22   #35
DonP

Lots of work done embedding the hardware into the enclosure and non-sexy work like deciding where and how to anchor stuff and secure what and where.

This unit (still a prototype) is now completely living in its enclosure for the first time.

The lexan cover for the LCD is not shown in this photo.

Old September 4th, 2013, 16:55   #36
Jaelommiss

Would it be possible to have weighted capture points?
For instance, a captured device at the edge of the field could be worth 2 points per minute, whereas a more central point could generate 5 points per minute.

That way a harder objective would be more rewarding.
Jaelommiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 18:02   #37
Reaver_RRTS

Very cool, I had this exact idea for field use, of course I'm not the type of guy who has the technical skills to make it work... I can envision the layout, design, overall function of the project, but can't figure out the little details lol... Good to see someone else had the same idea as me! Would love to implement them in the future...
Reaver_RRTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:49   #38
DonP

The ability to weight different capture points and add a 'score multiplier' for them is a neat idea. I like the idea of being able to make easier to defend locations "worth" less and harder to defend ones worth more for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver_RRTS View Post
Very cool, I had this exact idea for field use, of course I'm not the type of guy who has the technical skills to make it work... I can envision the layout, design, overall function of the project, but can't figure out the little details lol... Good to see someone else had the same idea as me! Would love to implement them in the future...
I'm sure I'm not even close to being the first to have the idea - videogames for example nailed it far before I came along.

The actual making it work part is always much harder than I expect it to be. on the surface it's pretty simple but the devil is always in the details and the implementation always winds up leading to changes and evolution of the original idea anyway.
Old September 5th, 2013, 13:23   #39
j_march

I love this idea, I hope it works. I will be watching for further progress and possible availibility for in the future.
Old September 5th, 2013, 15:18   #40
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
So when do pre-orders start?
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 11:16   #41
Reaver_RRTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
I'm sure I'm not even close to being the first to have the idea - videogames for example nailed it far before I came along.

The actual making it work part is always much harder than I expect it to be. on the surface it's pretty simple but the devil is always in the details and the implementation always winds up leading to changes and evolution of the original idea anyway.
Agreed, I can always envision how it'll be implemented, where, why etc, general design and function but I would never be able to actually make it on my own. I'm looking at that spaghetti of wiring you have in there and just about went cross-eyed lmao.

If I manage to open my own field in the future (hopefully no one gets upset about me trying?... Not sure where just yet still planning it out) I'd love to use this set up... Even have my own ideas for unique games and scenarios, field layout etc. Just need a lot of money lol...
Reaver_RRTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 01:33   #42
DonP

They're still a ways from beta testing, let alone pre-orders - but you guys will be the first to know!
Old November 6th, 2013, 17:11   #43
DonP

It's been a while but not because nothing has happened!

I have moved on from tough-to-work-with (and pretty expensive for what you get) PVC equipment boxes to laser-cut wood boxes for the beta testing.

That extra hollow rectangle is a standoff for the LCD so that the face of the LCD is sunken down a bit from the face of the box. This allows me to BB-proof it by slapping Lexan over it all, but also ensures that the Lexan won't touch the LCD.

Lexan is impervious to BBs but will still flex when hit. That flexing can still transmit shock to the LCD which will damage it. Problem solved, and in a simple and straightforward way! Also a very strange and elusive software bug is running out of places to hide and is living on borrowed time.

These are the kinds of unsexy problems being solved prior to closed Beta tests
Old November 6th, 2013, 17:23   #44
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
Very cool, this I love and the fact they are wireless..
So they will show each teams time compounded on each screen?

Hopefully you can set these to activate a relay, I have access to AC power and could run some pretty cool strobe lights on these
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:19   #45
baker_Jeff

So my prototypes have been delivered and are undergoing testing!

Just as a note so we're not crushing dreams here, the investment into having Don develop these was roughly more than a decent mid/high end mainstream AEG. Per unit.

I'm going to try and get a demo video of these done and uploading today.

As for range, inside the store (only 3000sq/ft) there are no range issues at all. When I stuck a box in my big metal box of a vehicle for a drive, it lost signal as soon as we left the parking lot. Going to get these to a playing field ASAP to test the range in real conditions.

One note Don and I discussed is being able to have multiple options for antenna and lights.

1. Antenna inside the box (for indoor use)
2. Antenna extension running up the "pole" with the actually antenna at the top 8 or 10 feet in the air (for outdoor use)

Out of the Game 04/22/16
baker_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications