Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tight Bores and Sniping

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 14th, 2012, 09:21   #1
Knocturnal

Tight Bores and Sniping

I would have thought that airsoft rifles were more accurate than they actually are, especially in a snipers perspective. Right now I have an Echo1 ER25K, with the mock silencer installed. So at this point I'm wondering how much of a precision difference a tight bore would make seeing that my mock silencer is close about 11" long, and I would have around 600mm of tight bore barrel length from silencer tip to hop up unit. Will a tight bore make a big difference?
Knocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:26   #2
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Stock guns are poorly inaccurate regardless if they look like real world sniper weapons or not. If you want a hyper accurate AEG that can out shoot snipers you'll NEED a good tightbore, high quality hopup rubber, Upgraded Nozzle (more stable airflow pushing the bb) and mostlikely a better hopup unit. And last but not least, never shoot anything lighter than .28 bbs, I stick to .3s for accuracy.
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:07   #3
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

And use BB Bastards. Best BBs in the world. Cannot recommend them enough.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 16:41   #4
Knocturnal

Yeah I ordered some .28g bbs. I didn't think .3g bbs were right for a 400fps @ .20g bb. I guess I will get myself a good tight bore, because the accuracy of my AEG is relatively good for one that is completely stock. I haven't found any mock silencers that are longer than the one I have so I guess I'll stick with it so I can have the longest tight bore possible. The tight bore seems to be the most important part for long range accuracy so I will start with upgrading that.
Old July 14th, 2012, 16:49   #5
Skladfin

fewfwefewf

Last edited by Skladfin; July 4th, 2023 at 19:28..
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 22:02   #6
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocturnal View Post
Yeah I ordered some .28g bbs. I didn't think .3g bbs were right for a 400fps @ .20g bb. I guess I will get myself a good tight bore, because the accuracy of my AEG is relatively good for one that is completely stock. I haven't found any mock silencers that are longer than the one I have so I guess I'll stick with it so I can have the longest tight bore possible. The tight bore seems to be the most important part for long range accuracy so I will start with upgrading that.
Want a laugh? Take your 400fps @ 0.20g and use 0.36g BBs, come out at around 300fps. This combo became the majic combo for me the last few years I played airsoft with my CA M24 (397fps w/0.20g). Sure you gotta adjust for elevation like real steel, but the consistancy and range is awesome! Airsoft sniping is all about watching your round make it's way through shit, adjusting to compensate for shit, and squeaking the round through gaps in cover to really screw with people. Long range shots are bullshit to go for, hard to be consistant with a 6mm BB flying through a variable fluid, and honestly, anyone can sit 300ft+ away and fling BBs. Getting in close and pushing a round through a 2" gap in a wall of a base from 150ft away, now that is the ultimate in airsoft sniping, the stuff legends are made of!!

BTW, what are your thoughts on using 0.30g or 0.36g BBs in your GBB?

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; July 14th, 2012 at 22:12..
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 22:19   #7
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelusNex View Post
Stock guns are poorly inaccurate regardless if they look like real world sniper weapons or not.
No, some stock guns have great accuracy.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 22:29   #8
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
No, some stock guns have great accuracy.
True, But I was more trying to make the point that a replica of a semi auto sniper rifle is no more accurate than a replica of a regular infantry rifle
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 09:21   #9
Knocturnal

I just placed another order with evike (vest, extra mags, .28g bbs), at some point I'll definitely try .3g, but right now, I can't find a local retailer or even from another province that seem to have quality upgrade parts... Or am I just looking at the wrong place?

This is my gun

http://echo1usa.com/English/index.ph...roducts_id=497
Old July 15th, 2012, 12:50   #10
slink182

Look to Asia. There aren't too many companies making tightbores in 600 mm lengths, and those that do are making them for a specific type of gun (AK, M14, PSG, etcl) . Most are making them in the 300-500 mm lengths.
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Stalker stays where he is.
His BB's fly across the country to hit their target.
slink182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 23:27   #11
Knocturnal

I see some 500+mm tightbores that are sold from torontoairsoft, but are the ones they are selling any good? Also I'm not sure what to look for when refering to hop up rubber. I believe echo1 have some pretty decent stock hop ups, unless someone says different.
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:12   #12
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

You want an accurate gun, and you bought an echo1? lol

1) length of barrel means very little, stay between 380 and 500mm
2) actual bore of the barrel means very little, stay between 6.03 and 6.08
3) hop up rubber is EVERYTHING when it comes to range and accuracy. Get a firefly hard rubber with the firefly nub, will have a huge impact on range and accuracy
4) Use the right weight of BB for FPS. >380fps=.30g >440FPS=.36g >490fps=.43g
5) Make sure your airseal is PERFECT. You'll need a perfect airseal in order to get a laminar airflow down the barrel to guide the BB. Too long of a barrel increases the chance of the BB hitting dirt inside the barrel or losing pressure behind the BB.
6) Make sure your cylinder has enough air volume to push the BB out the barrel, loss of pressure and laminar flow means loss of accuracy
7) Get a proper platform for the task at hand. You don't substitute a glock18c for an M249, so why substitute a sniper rifle with an automatic rifle?
8) For accuracy and range, nothing beats a bolt action rifle. Higher quality components, better sealing, way higher repeatability over AEGs

9) If you want a REALLY accurate and long range M4 variant, and it HAS to be an M4 variant, get a GBBR. Weather permitting, gas guns are more accurate and have better range than AEGs. There's huge posts on it, but basically the BB is better stabilized faster by high pressure gas than by low pressure air.
If you have the money you could also buy a PTW lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:37   #13
TPM001

I disagree with a GBBR as a superior sniper gun platform (unless you convert to an HPA rig). In my experience, there is too much variance in gas pressure to make your shots consistent. You may get the range (assuming your hop up is not contaminated with the oil in the gas), but you won't get the accuracy over AEG and definitely not over a bolt action springer.

If you want the ultimate sniper gun platform, go with a good bolt action springer (like Maruzen or TM) and properly upgrade it to the power and range you desire. When I say properly, I mean don't leave any weak spots. Don't just change the spring and leave everything else stock. Everything must be upgraded to the same spec simultaneously. Be prepared to shell out $$$ if you want the most accurate and long range.

And I wouldn't go so far to say that the size of the tightbore matters little. It matters quite a bit. If you go too big, you will lose your laminar flow and get turbulence instead. I would go with 6.03mm.

Last edited by TPM001; July 16th, 2012 at 10:47..
TPM001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 14:36   #14
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

It's actually been long accepted in the BASR world that tightbore barrels increase FPS over a standard bore rifle and that a 6.08mm actually gives better shot-to-shot consistency over a 6.01mm barrel of identical lengths.

Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 19:05   #15
Knocturnal

Can someone tell me where I can get this bucking and nub?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank