Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Repainting a gun

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old June 3rd, 2010, 14:45   #16
sewktbk

few feet? few inches you mean...

this can vary depending on the pressure of the can and the nozzle used. You should follow the manufacturer's instructions for that.
sewktbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 15:45   #17
Kurgan

Send a message via MSN to Kurgan
I've found nothing beats a dremmel with sanding bits, a few brass and steel brush heads. Go slow and you can take the all the paint off and begin from the bare metal. A paint job should never be rushed, neither should the paint removal job. Using chemicals may be convenient, but wouldn't trust them near anything airsoft related.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 16:01   #18
Brayden
¡¡¡ɹǝʞɐǝɹq oqɯoɔ-ɔ-ɔ-ɔ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
I have never seen any staining while using break fluid to remove paint. Although I am somewhat suspicious that the fluid itself weakens plastic material somewhat.
Dunno who came up with the rumor of brake fluid but dot 2 brake fluid is used by Graffiti artists to leave a stain behind called a 'ghost' after the buff remove the paint. If you have seen the yellow stains of old tags that what it is.
Old June 4th, 2010, 19:15   #19
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden View Post
Dunno who came up with the rumor of brake fluid but dot 2 brake fluid is used by Graffiti artists to leave a stain behind called a 'ghost' after the buff remove the paint. If you have seen the yellow stains of old tags that what it is.
People doing miniature models came with it. It works wonders with metal parts, and stains porus or materials that will absorb stuff.

Have you even seen a stain in steel? I saw some heat stains, paint stain, rust stain. But nothing caused by chemicals. Same goes for cheap metal bodies and brake fluid. They are used mostly by model makers to start over a die-cast model the bought.

SuperClean is used in garages as an industrial de-greaser. It also have been found to have the nice propriety of reacting with the bonding component of most paint, making it flake off the plastic part, without leaving any stain or damaging the plastic. Same group of people that found it. Wear nitrile gloves though. It eats through latex and most metals. Natural rubber gloves (thick gloves) work too, but it is easier to manipulate the parts with thin gloves.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 20:21   #20
HKGhost

Maybe you're using it wrong some how. I've stripped stock, grips and whole receiver with brake fluid and never got any staining of any kind. The only thing that it did for me was removing the paint and leaving the original finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden View Post

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 20:33   #21
Con Murder

No I meant what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewktbk View Post
few feet? few inches you mean...

this can vary depending on the pressure of the can and the nozzle used. You should follow the manufacturer's instructions for that.
No I mean a few feet. Krylon flat and pretty much standard size of spraypaint.

If you go six inches away you will get large dobs of paint as opposed to the light speckle of two feet. Yes two feet from the item and many coats of paint. It works, takes some time but no running or pools. I give advice that wont end with a $500 item looking like splooged camo goop pools.
Con Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 21:39   #22
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Murder View Post
No I mean a few feet. Krylon flat and pretty much standard size of spraypaint.

If you go six inches away you will get large dobs of paint as opposed to the light speckle of two feet. Yes two feet from the item and many coats of paint. It works, takes some time but no running or pools. I give advice that wont end with a $500 item looking like splooged camo goop pools.
If you want a good trick too, find a box large enough to put your gun flat in the bottom, with at least a wall of 2'. Spray from the top of the box, and be ready to have a lot of paint on the arm. The fumes will fall down on the gun and dust the whole thing very fast and very smooth. I do that to do the sealing coat in RC car bodies and it work perfectly.
Old June 9th, 2010, 17:24   #23
MrBritches

Does synthetic brake fluid work too, or is it the original stuff?
Just wondering because I have a bottle of prestone synthetic brake fluid lying around.
As well, my barrel is aluminum, so does that mean i should not use superclean on it. I have a CA M24 to clean up.
MrBritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:38   #24
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBritches View Post
Does synthetic brake fluid work too, or is it the original stuff?
Just wondering because I have a bottle of prestone synthetic brake fluid lying around.
As well, my barrel is aluminum, so does that mean i should not use superclean on it. I have a CA M24 to clean up.
Yes, means no Superclean.

It will melt the barrel just like in chemistry classes. Brake fluid is good to go though.
Old August 8th, 2010, 21:07   #25
jomor

Paint stripping

To strip the paint, epending on the type, I use Fantastic! It works every time. Just watch what kind of paint is this holds true for stripping or painting over too!
jomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:01   #26
Spawn28
I am manly hear me squeek

Send a message via MSN to Spawn28
For metal Use poly stripper
For Plastic Use ol fashioned elbow grease and a assortment of sandpapers and dremel ends

For paint choice i use high temp BBQ paint it looks more like the real thing and leaves a harder coat not to mention i find it way better then Krylon that stuff in my opinion is shit it wears off to easily and takes way too long to dry(2 weeks)even then it still feels sticky.

JMO

Last edited by Spawn28; August 9th, 2010 at 12:05..
Spawn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 00:20   #27
Ninja_En_Short

Send a message via MSN to Ninja_En_Short
If you have some time to do it : sand a bit then sweat and Acetone are extremely effective... unless you have a STAR/ARES don't use that on plastic parts or they'll get dissolved with the paint.

Gun doc in Montreal on AEG, GBB, GBBR and Bolt rifle (gaz and spring)
Heavy custom builder (including painting)

Ninja_En_Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:52   #28
AirsoftHapkomah

+ one on vht or duplicolour vinyl dye

lol its cansoft and like it :confused:
Real Sword 56-2, FrankenGun(walmart/TM), TM M3 Super 90
AirsoftHapkomah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 14:40   #29
GSG9Gaunt

how long does the brake fluid take to work? say to remove the orange paint off a flashhider thats entirely painted orange?

G&G M4A1 |Cybergun M-14
KWA G36C |Cybergun Thompson M1A1
TM XM177E2 |Cybergun S&W Multi Shotgun
Skeleton P226 |WE (open bolt) XM177
GSG9Gaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 14:43   #30
HKGhost

Leave it soaking over night is the best. After just use a stiff brush to take off the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG9Gaunt View Post
how long does the brake fluid take to work? say to remove the orange paint off a flashhider thats entirely painted orange?

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications