Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Bolt action Sniper FPS / Spring upgrade questions

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old April 11th, 2021, 10:09   #1
Omnivorous

Bolt action Sniper FPS / Spring upgrade questions

I have 2 bolt action snipers that are firing around 375 fps, and I want to get them up to 450fps.

I bought an upgrade kit and took apart my sniper and put it back together 5-6 times trying different things

Questions:
Does the replacement spring, spring guide, and piston head all have to be the same length as what's original to your gun? My new kit was longer, so when I put the gun back together, I only needed to pull the bolt back about 2 inches (shorter than the 4 inches that is normal) before it cocked, and the BBs wouldn't feed. I also don't think it was compressing the spring all of the way.

My current spring is 6 5/8" long and less than 1/2" in diameter. Can you buy a M140-150 spring with those measurements? I have one that is the correct length, but it's a wider diameter so it won't fit in the piston head.

Thank you in advance!
Omnivorous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2021, 10:18   #2
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

We'd need to know which model and brand of sniper rifle you got and which kit you bought.

Normally springs should be the same length once compressed, but their length can vary when uncompressed.

I can't tell you which spring you need without knowing what you got.

Also, 375 fps, I assume with 0,20g, is perfectly usable in a sniper rifle, provided you can still hop heavier ammo. I run mine with 0.36g BBs at the equivalent of 390 fps on 0.20g and it shoots really well, with the added advantage that I don't have a super long minimum engagement distance. If you play in heavy woodlands, you don't need to get to 450 fps at all, in fact, lower power rifles are much quieter, which makes them a lot better in closer distances encounters.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2021, 19:34   #3
Omnivorous

Thanks. The two snipers I have are:

Classic Army SR40
https://airsoftdepot.ca/store/produc...oducts_id=5404

WELL MB4410D
https://www.amazon.com/Well-MB4410-S.../dp/B01MTGGTF0

I attempted to put this kit (https://buyairsoft.ca/product/l96-upgrade-piston-kit/) in the Well MB4410D.

Thank you!!

Last edited by Omnivorous; April 11th, 2021 at 19:38..
Old April 11th, 2021, 22:29   #4
Drakker

The Classic Army SR40 is mostly VSR10 compatible, you'd have to check if it comes stock with 45 or 90 degrees sears. 45 degrees sears can't handle strong springs for long, so you'd need to upgrade your trigger unit and piston before using a stronger spring.

For the Well, I have never seen that one around, but from looking at it, my guess is that it's a clone of the Tokyo Marui M40A5 for the internals, so L96 parts probably won't fit. The M40A5 has a shorter cylinder, so a longer spring in there would not allow you to cock it completely, and it would certainly not feed a BB because it needs to go all the way back to load a BB from the mag and push it along the loading ramp. But double check this, it might be another completely different system.

Old April 12th, 2021, 10:43   #5
Zfurlong

The well mb4410 has a rather flushed out thread for upgrades on airsoftsniperforum that may be worth your while looking into
Old April 13th, 2021, 14:08   #6
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakker View Post
The Classic Army SR40 is mostly VSR10 compatible, you'd have to check if it comes stock with 45 or 90 degrees sears. 45 degrees sears can't handle strong springs for long, so you'd need to upgrade your trigger unit and piston before using a stronger spring.

For the Well, I have never seen that one around, but from looking at it, my guess is that it's a clone of the Tokyo Marui M40A5 for the internals, so L96 parts probably won't fit. The M40A5 has a shorter cylinder, so a longer spring in there would not allow you to cock it completely, and it would certainly not feed a BB because it needs to go all the way back to load a BB from the mag and push it along the loading ramp. But double check this, it might be another completely different system.
You are bang on with this. It only cocks by a little bit - not enough for a BB to feed.
Old April 13th, 2021, 14:55   #7
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfurlong View Post
The well mb4410 has a rather flushed out thread for upgrades on airsoftsniperforum that may be worth your while looking into
Thank you very much for this tip. I learned I'm looking for TM L96 AWS parts. The only parts I could find that aren't from Europe was this - https://www.evike.com/products/47017/

If I put that in my WELL without upgrading anything else, should I expect a very short life expectancy that my gun will work?
Old April 20th, 2021, 09:00   #8
Zfurlong

The first thing I would look into acquiring is a 90 degree dear set (trigger sear as well as 90 degree piston), to ensure longevity of the sear without having to worry about slam firing issues cropping up. After that I would look at hop rubbers and nub combos, potentially TDC and LRB mods, paired with an after market lapped inner barrel, and while at that, I would get a few springs (I.E multiple), as your muzzle velocity will vary depending on all parts used. You will need to do a lot of fiddle fucking with multiple combinations of parts to get the end result you want
Old April 20th, 2021, 09:24   #9
Drakker

I'm surprised that you recommend an LRB and lapped inner barrels... Lapping barrels only improves performance on low quality barrels, there is no data that shows any improvement in performance on high end barrel, except that your arms might grow stronger. As far as I know, there is no advantage with an LRB over a proper hop-up setup...so that sounds like a strange recommendation too.

Old April 20th, 2021, 21:32   #10
Zfurlong

Only reason I mentioned the lapping of the barrel is due to the wide variety of inners I have seen people swear by over the years that turn out to be nothing more than overpriced junk (in terms of QC at least). At least with lapping it, you'll get a consistent finish inside the reason I mentioned LRB, is when done right you will have the same hop every time with the BB riding the ceiling of the inner the whole way through, negating many potential fliers from inconsistent pressure from the hop as much as possible, it's not so much as getting the actual hop from it, it's more for helping eliminate fliers
Old April 20th, 2021, 22:23   #11
Drakker

Some claim that the BB already rides the ceiling of the barrel because of the hop-up. I ran some coated barrels for years, a TK Twists on my GBB 1911 and a Madbull in a few different AEGs and both had lost a lot of coating on their ceilings and little at the bottom... so from this anecdotal evidence, the BB might already do that anyway.

My take on it is that with the back spin hop-up, when the BB hits the bottom, it is kicked up, and when it hits the ceiling, since it's back spinning, it either rides a bit, or it bounces less because of the direction of the spin, so it would tend to hit the ceiling a lot more often, chipping at the finish. But that's just guesswork, and it would probably hit the ceiling even more on an LRB, so what you say might be right.

Old April 30th, 2021, 15:15   #12
Omnivorous

Thank you for your help. This has been a learning process (slightly frustrating one).

One (maybe) last question - do you know someone who would have time to talk to regarding parts compatibility and where to get them?

Since my Well sniper is only compatible with TM L96 AWS parts and my Classic Army SR40 is a different version of VSR 10 (the spring is only 8.5" long, not 10" like most parts out there) combined with the fact there are not many parts available in Canada, I'm feeling very overwhelmed finding the parts. I would love to install them myself, but just finding compatible stuff to buy is difficult. I've already bought one set that didn't fit.

I wish those SSG10 snipers could be brought into Canada legally. I'd pay $300 USD for those and be done with it!!

I should add my goal is to get the guns outfitted with M150 springs and then be durable and accurate.
Old April 30th, 2021, 19:52   #13
DAVESAGE

Try ELR airsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnivorous View Post
Thank you for your help. This has been a learning process (slightly frustrating one).

One (maybe) last question - do you know someone who would have time to talk to regarding parts compatibility and where to get them?

Since my Well sniper is only compatible with TM L96 AWS parts and my Classic Army SR40 is a different version of VSR 10 (the spring is only 8.5" long, not 10" like most parts out there) combined with the fact there are not many parts available in Canada, I'm feeling very overwhelmed finding the parts. I would love to install them myself, but just finding compatible stuff to buy is difficult. I've already bought one set that didn't fit.

I wish those SSG10 snipers could be brought into Canada legally. I'd pay $300 USD for those and be done with it!!

I should add my goal is to get the guns outfitted with M150 springs and then be durable and accurate.
DAVESAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2021, 01:20   #14
Zfurlong

The internals like spring, guide and all that jazz can be legally imported without issue from almost any source. Evike (as much as I hate dealing with them), tend to carry parts compatible with most anything. If memory serves, the TM l96 uses the aps2 system. As long as you type aps2 into the evoke search bar, you should be able to find everything you need for the well. As for the sr40 I would look for the roguewerx parts, yes difficult to find and not readily available in Canada, however they are quite the quality parts.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications