Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Fitting problems : Mesh mask & Goggles

:

Gear Discussion

Old February 27th, 2017, 12:01   #1
Dumblins

Fitting problems : Mesh mask & Goggles

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a mesh mask and goggles. The problem is that, in order to be "comfortable", I need to put my goggles over my mask. Is that a common thing to do ? I don't really like the fact that my goggles aren't fully touching my skin. If I lower my mask so my goggles can fully seal on my face, I have a hard time breathing through my nose and my nose is totally exposed. I payed 80$ for the goggles and 20$ for the mesh mask so I would like to make it worth my money (even though it's not THAT much, it's still 100$). I really care for my eyes so that kinda turns me off.

Do you have any alternative or tricks I could use to make it work better ? I'm opened to suggestions even though it may be to purchase something else.

Thank you !
Dumblins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:17   #2
Jaeger_CDN

You only get one set of eyes so protecting them properly should be a no brainer (try shooting a grape with an airsoft gun for visual effect)

There are quite a few guides on you-tube on modding mesh masks as long as you have access to a hot glue gun and tin snips unless you want to exchange it all for a full mask (aka paintball mask type).
Jaeger_CDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:19   #3
tdotsofter

Ditch the mesh, get a mouthguard and a shemagh.
tdotsofter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:41   #4
Danke

Post a picture of how you're setup right now. Not sure if the mesh mask is the full on fencing one or the little mouth guard or in between.
Old February 27th, 2017, 13:20   #5
AnthonyG
LUser Title

I'd prioritize keeping your Google's against your face, rather than putting them over the mesh. Without much work you should be able to bend the profile of the mesh to get it sitting better so your nose isn't squished. As others have suggested, there are at least half a dozen decent videos on how to cut the mesh to get it to fit better with your Google's; it usually involves a pair of tin snips and a glue gun. I have a narrower face than most so I've had to cut and bend pretty much every mesh mask I own.

*Busy signing for his packages*
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 14:15   #6
Dumblins

Thank you all for your reply. I'll have a look at those videos !
Old February 27th, 2017, 17:54   #7
devbro

I used to do what you just described. During one game a bb got !!!! note that I wear very tight goggles as well as helment and the opening in question was near impossible to reach without a pen. I now put the goggle against my face all the day. It does fog a bit but my eyes matter more and I got lucky once already.

If you have a hard time fitting them, you can use a heat gun or a blow dryer and a few tools to reshape and cut your meshmask.
VFC M4 MK18
CYMA AK47
TM MP5 First gen Rare find
TM MP5A5 with swordfish 2004
devbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 22:07   #8
Dumblins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdotsofter View Post
Ditch the mesh, get a mouthguard and a shemagh.
I'm starting to consider this option. I've got myself some nice shemaghs about a month ago and I thought about covering my mesh mask with them but after trying it out, it looks kinda weird.

I've also heard some comments about mesh masks making it difficult to aim down sight so I don't know, I wanna be comfortable while playing not all jammed up.

I'll explore different avenues I guess and find out what suits me best.
Old February 28th, 2017, 10:21   #9
Short Round
Najohn

A lot of guys cut their mesh masks to specifically fit their face better.

Some people like myself cut it to just cover their mouths, others to cover their mouth and nose, and others just slim down the mask so it fits better.

Mini DIY Projects: Custom Fit Mesh Mask & Super Mini Bonus Project - Airsoft Canada
Old February 28th, 2017, 16:30   #10
Dumblins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Round View Post
A lot of guys cut their mesh masks to specifically fit their face better.

Some people like myself cut it to just cover their mouths, others to cover their mouth and nose, and others just slim down the mask so it fits better.

Mini DIY Projects: Custom Fit Mesh Mask & Super Mini Bonus Project - Airsoft Canada
Thanks for that Thread, I'll take a look at it.
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:34   #11
alchemy

I have to run my goggles over my mask or I cant see shit. Ive tried everything to get them not to fog cut foam etc.. and rain-x anti fog seems to work the best but still need multiple applications during a long game and if the temerature drops too close to the dew point they start to fog. Ditched the uncomfortable valken mask for a One Tigris which is much more comfortable, doesnt interfere with my hemlet straps and can still get a good cheek weld with them. My goggles are pretty big (Russian 6b34) and theres plenty of overlap on top of the mesh to make it safe enough. The only way someone could shoot into my goggle is if they held a gun to my chin pointing up my nose.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 12:56   #12
Dumblins

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
I have to run my goggles over my mask or I cant see shit. Ive tried everything to get them not to fog cut foam etc.. and rain-x anti fog seems to work the best but still need multiple applications during a long game and if the temerature drops too close to the dew point they start to fog. Ditched the uncomfortable valken mask for a One Tigris which is much more comfortable, doesnt interfere with my hemlet straps and can still get a good cheek weld with them. My goggles are pretty big (Russian 6b34) and theres plenty of overlap on top of the mesh to make it safe enough. The only way someone could shoot into my goggle is if they held a gun to my chin pointing up my nose.
Damn those mask look amazing and very comfortable.

I'm not sure yet if I want the mesh mask or to just wear a SA Multi-Use Face Shield with a mouthguard... I know it shouldn't be a hard decision to make but I want to be comfortable and be able to use my 5 face-shield also...
Old March 1st, 2017, 16:51   #13
alchemy

yeah I would love to ditch the mask but I don't really trust the mouthguard and unfortunately my face is a magnet for BBs .. or maybe people just don't like me :P
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 09:47   #14
Dumblins

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
yeah I would love to ditch the mask but I don't really trust the mouthguard and unfortunately my face is a magnet for BBs .. or maybe people just don't like me :P
That's exactly my feeling too. My parents put a lot of money in fixing my teeth when I was younger (one more reason here) so it's kind of a risk to just go with a mouthguard even though it has been tested on the field and many guys on this forum said it was very good (I'm speaking about the SISU mouthguard).

However, I've been working on my mesh mask for the last to nights and I got closer to my fit. I still have a little clearance between my upper nose and the goggles but it'll do. The goggles are fully sealed now so… Photos below.

Old March 3rd, 2017, 11:01   #15
Danke

Put the goggles on first and put the mask over that with the strap angled up to the back of your head. Don't do it up too tight; it just needs to hang.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion