Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Booby Traps?

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old September 12th, 2012, 20:43   #31
Rickshaw

Nice, that'd be sick as hell.

Click above for the MB Bootnecks Facebook page!
"Pro Patria"
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 13:28   #32
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

That's an interesting idea. I suppose you could steal them off of those yard LED lights.
Old September 14th, 2012, 18:51   #33
Weps

my buddies and I have made some "trip wire" alarms out of a smoke detector. All we did was put in a battery, stick a piece of metal of the test button and secure it in place and then use something to wedge under the piece of metal that you can connect to a fishing line so that when you pull the wedge out, the metal presses the test button.

Works well and is relatively cheap.

Another option is something like this

With that setup you could also have it setup like a switch so that when the trap springs, 2 wires could connect thus joining the circuit.
Weps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 19:38   #34
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

The IED's I have used previously are all powered by airbomb charges and use dried peas as payload. The beauty part is using a model rocket ignitor to bridge the electric to chemical gap and allow command or victim activation.

500 dried peas screaming at you definitely makes an impact, and the tell tale sound of the charge igniting give a 1/2 second "oh shit" moment for added bonus fun
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:58   #35
McFearsom

I have and will use again thunder b sound flashes set up with a string to the pin. Takes some playing around getting that pin "almost" all the way out all the while still holding the hammer down. But it works.

As for the friendly fire, communication is key, if you set one up tell your team if you can. If you all work well together they may even try to use it themselves by drawing opfor into it.

As for how handy they are, you have to make the effort to you use them or you wont at all. I've found there haven't been a lot of situations in my play where if I wasnt trying to use a booby trap, I wouldnt have thought of using one.

For what you should get if you do buy anything. I prefer the thunder b's. I have used and have had the boughten claymores used on me and I was was underwelmed by them. For shear versatility I'd go with the thrown or boobytrap ordinance; the thunder b.

The thunder b landmines are apparantly good as well but I have no experience with them.

All of this is of my own humble opinion. Cheers.
McFearsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 00:37   #36
ccyg8774

I was trying to build a airsoft "claymore" from 2 rat traps, but failed.
Mostly because the rat traps from dollar store have poor quality, the rings and pins pops out once in a while when the traps are "loaded"...
Old September 20th, 2012, 01:14   #37
BennyBoy

Anyone have experience with being hit with Tornados? I just bought one last week and they seem hella fun
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 09:20   #38
m102404
Tys

Unless they go off right up close to your face (and even then they're pretty safe....Madmax spent A LOT of time figuring out what was safe enough in the design)....they're really not painfull/hurtfull in any way.

When they first came out and I was doing a lot of gun doc work, I'd demo them to anyone who'd come over. We'd just put on goggles, cover our teeth and set one off in the workshop.

Spooks/shocks you more than anything. You'll get hit by A LOT of BB's...but none of them will feel like a shot from a pistol/rifle that close up. Due to the duration of the "blast" and the number of BB's flying around....you'd have to be completely zoned out not to realize that you've been hit.

The timer ones (either with a pull pin or the spoon kit) are so-so. The timing is just fine for lobbing grenades around corners/down halls/etc...but they're inconsistent enough to be odd when using them to breach rooms. In hot weather (high 30C) they'll tend to just go off immediately in your hands...which still won't hurt you.

The impact ones are great. They are hard to set off accidentally...but go off immediately when they hit something hard (wall/floor/etc...). Those work great for CQB.

Setting them up with the "noise banger" is ok...sometimes you get a good pop...other times you don't. But everyone still reacts as if it's a frag since you can't tell when one's headed your way. Duds or spent ones work really well as distractions too...again, since you don't really know if it's a live one or not.

I wouldn't use them for field games...they'd just get lost.

Last edited by m102404; September 20th, 2012 at 09:25..
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 22:38   #39
Borealis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBoy View Post
Anyone have experience with being hit with Tornados? I just bought one last week and they seem hella fun
I had one of my spoon tornadoes go off in my hand at the Mall as I released the lever and it was surprising but not painful or dangerous... just humiliating.
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 23:13   #40
FirestormX

The first time I played airsoft, it was at TTAC a couple years ago (been looking forward to going back sometime), there was a game where when you're hit, you go down, and have to be taken back to spawn. A few of us were holed up around a doorway, and I got hit and laid down. Shortly thereafter, I see a grenade (must have been a timer) roll through the door, and stop in front of my face. I had no idea how airsoft grenades worked, and had one of those life affirming "oh god, there's a grenade in my face, how bad is this going to hurt?!" moments. That, combined with the "no mercy" rule (I came around a corner, right into someone's barrel. My gun wasn't up and ready, so he quickly shrugged, said sorry, backed up a little, and shot me in the chest), made for a memorable first experience, and killed my fear of pain from getting shot.
FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 03:35   #41
XOIIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccyg8774 View Post
Don't have to be a solar panel (unless you really want to power it by sun), you can get a Photoresistor (they are really cheap) and a door alarm activated by vibration (they are cheap, too). Simply replace the switch with a Photoresistor will make it activate by light.
You could use a red filter to filter out other colors of lights and use a red laser to trip it as well, so that random flashlight wouldn't trigger it.
XOIIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 04:51   #42
Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOIIO View Post
You could use a red filter to filter out other colors of lights and use a red laser to trip it as well, so that random flashlight wouldn't trigger it.
5 years ago, your advise may have been very valuable!
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures