Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

how long do you keep a gun?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old May 12th, 2011, 18:26   #1
Dart

how long do you keep a gun?

Hey docs just wondering, how long do you keep a gun for a client while waiting on parts? If they have ordered them do you usually keep it around?

Right now I am dealing with the situation that someone has left a gun with me for >8 months waiting on parts. I finally have the parts I need and now I am missing parts to put it back together, I had it separate but it kept getting moved... Have another one that I have asked to get a battery for me to see if the issue is his battery... that was March 28th. Beginning to feel like a storage house.
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 18:42   #2
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

I belive tyson has a 6 month waiting period in which you have time to pick up your gun and pay, if not he puts it up for sale
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 18:52   #3
Rugger_can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart View Post
Hey docs just wondering, how long do you keep a gun for a client while waiting on parts? If they have ordered them do you usually keep it around?

Right now I am dealing with the situation that someone has left a gun with me for >8 months waiting on parts. I finally have the parts I need and now I am missing parts to put it back together, I had it separate but it kept getting moved... Have another one that I have asked to get a battery for me to see if the issue is his battery... that was March 28th. Beginning to feel like a storage house.

Part of being a gun doc is that you should allot yourself somewhere to put your projects as you work on them and keep them organized.
Rugger_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 18:53   #4
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
So the first one is your fault cause you misplaced parts, and the second one is also your fault because you don't have mulitple batteries to test with (which you should if you're calling yourself a "gundoc").

I don't see how it's the "client's" fault.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 18:54   #5
Amos

2 months unless something else was agreed upon.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 19:02   #6
Dart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
So the first one is your fault cause you misplaced parts, and the second one is also your fault because you don't have mulitple batteries to test with (which you should if you're calling yourself a "gundoc").

I don't see how it's the "client's" fault.
I do have batteries... but he was supposed to bring me HIS battery so we could trouble shoot that. Instead he has just left his gun at my house and no battery.

I had all his parts put in a safe spot. But anything with small parts after 8 months is bound to lose a few things. All his parts were in a zip loc bag. They got taken out to fix the gun when we found another broken part, so back in the went... so yah its been in and out a few times.

And I don't call my self a gun doc, I am just a guy that fixes a few guns for his team mates.
Old May 12th, 2011, 19:15   #7
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
And I don't call my self a gun doc, I am just a guy that fixes a few guns for his team mates.
If they are teammates, what's the issue?
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 19:23   #8
Able1
Joeyaglr444

Quote:
But anything with small parts after 8 months is bound to lose a few things.
You wouldn't accept that if someone was working on your gun.
It's not about the guy who doesn't call his hit. It's about the pants you're wearing and the pants you're team mate is wearing, Is it real multi cam or is it Chinese repro multi cam? I don't know but in the end it's still multicam.
Able1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 19:38   #9
Dart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Able1 View Post
You wouldn't accept that if someone was working on your gun.
I wouldn't leave my gun some place for 8 months.
Old May 12th, 2011, 20:27   #10
m102404
Tys

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.T.Z View Post
I belive tyson has a 6 month waiting period in which you have time to pick up your gun and pay, if not he puts it up for sale
I never had a "pay up or else" policy....until I decided to pack it in.

That's when I was "retiring" from public gun doc work. Any given week I regularly had ~7-12 AEGs at my place, and GBBs, and batts/mags/optics...none of which counted my own.

I once had as many as 22 AEGs queued up to go (when I dared to take Dec off one year to do *shock* family stuff). I could literally open a cabinet and have AEGs spill out. Not to mention the space that the cases, bags, etc..took up.

When I retired from the public gun doc scene I gave guys PMs, phone calls, e-mails, etc...to come and get their stuff that was finished. After 3 months of calling/waiting/calling/waiting/calling....I gave final noticed.

That worked...everyone got their stuff the f*ck out of my house (except for a teammate who was probably hiding stuff from his fiancee ).

I gave away three big rubbermaid bins of parts/pieces/accessories to 3 buddies....they gathered around my basement and divied up everything. Must have been $$$ worth of things.

To OP:
If you've lost something (I had an AK butt plate go missing once...turned out my daughter took it to add to the play kitchen...found it well after I had bought a replacement)....you've got to make good on it. Buy replacement parts out of pocket. Plain and simple.

If you've agreed to take on something...you're stuck doing it. If you're not willing to do it...give it back and be prepared for whatever bridge burning that may cause.

In the end...a stern heads-up is sometimes all that is needed to get someone to get their ass in gear.

Last edited by m102404; May 12th, 2011 at 20:30..
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 21:37   #11
Dart

I totally agree that I will be replacing the part. my issue is the screws really... trying to remember what bloody screw goes where.

I started this thread just as a curious question of how long you guys usually have stuff in your shop.

I live in a 1100 SQ/ft 2 bedroom apartment, one bedroom is well.. a bedroom, the other is my shop/office.... Its packed with RC gear Airsoft stuff and I also work from home so its my work station, it gets a little cramped when people start leaving things here for months on end.

And its not like I am a guy that looses things easily, I had my VSR apart for a few months before I finally found a very hard part to find to fix it, went back together no issues....
Old May 12th, 2011, 22:32   #12
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
When I retired from the public gun doc scene I gave guys PMs, phone calls, e-mails, etc...to come and get their stuff that was finished. After 3 months of calling/waiting/calling/waiting/calling....I gave final noticed.

That worked...everyone got their stuff the f*ck out of my house (except for a teammate who was probably hiding stuff from his fiancee ).
hush you are not supposed to say anything.............BTW need to put something else in the basement for a few weeks
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 23:15   #13
Kos-Mos

Longest I had a gun was over a year... that is when I decided I wanted a policy about that.

I usually keep it 6 months after the work is completed. I tell people before hand and call them when the gun is ready and once a month. The last call is to tell them that the gun is up for sale to cover labor and parts put into his rifle.

It never happened yet, but if it does, I would keep part of the money to cover for labor and parts, and send the rest to the owner.

Until the parts arrive, it's normal to keep the rifle.
And losing a part is my responsibility. It never happened yet but that's part of the deal.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:33   #14
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Amos, how long have I had Jason's PKM? lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner