UHF radio help

:

Gear Discussion

Old December 29th, 2008, 01:06   #1
SOCINCO
formerly kamatokai

Send a message via MSN to SOCINCO
UHF radio help

last week i got a PX-888 UHF, and i program all 22 channel into the radio, and tried with my friend's UHF but only find out that he can receive my voice but i can't hear him? does anyone know why? my ctcss is 136.5
thank you for the help here!!!
SOCINCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:22   #2
Drake
E-01

Probably because you programmed it wrong. Presuming its like the PX-777 (and most other radios) you need to enter the frequency for both Rx and Tx, otherwise you'll broadcast on the right frequency but the channel is "listening" to a different frequency.

Highly recommend you use the programming software, it makes life a lot easier. (specially if the "manual" is as vague as the 777's)
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:25   #3
Crunchmeister

I'd agree with Drake. More than likely you're not sending and receiving on the same channel, or that one of your radios is set to use sub-channels...
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:31   #4
FlyGuy

First of all, make things easier for you to troubleshoot by disabling the CTCSS transmit and receive on both radios. Once you've disabled the squelch tones, then try a tx/rx test between yourselves. If you've got the frequency programming correct on both radios, you should hear each other just fine. If you can't hear each other then go back to step 1 where you RTFM and then try re-programming the frequencies correctly this time. Once you can hear each other using carrier squelch only, then proceed to add-in the tx/rx CTCSS tones...repeat test...RTFM if unsuccessful. Setting up front-panel programmable radios is not rocket science but without a handy dandy operator's manual and depending upon the particular radio, it can be.

Good Luck,
'Fly

PS: You may or may not be aware but this particular radio is illegal to own or operate in Canada unless you are a licensed amateur radio operator and restrict operations to the designated 70cm amateur band (430-450 MHz) only.

Team GHOSTS - Fides et Amicitia
G-68

"Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I"

Learning To Fly
© 1986 Pink Floyd
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:49   #5
SOCINCO
formerly kamatokai

Send a message via MSN to SOCINCO
thanks guys i will try it now see if it's working !! thanks

ps: for the program software is this mean i need to buy a cable ? because i already download a program for px-888 uhf
SOCINCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:56   #6
Drake
E-01

Yeah, you need a cable. I got one off eBay for like $15 shipped back in the day.

Looking on eBay now, looks like the 888 uses the same cable as the 777: if you're electronically inclined, you can build your own cable, too

Who's your favorite Super Mod?
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:10   #7
FlyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
I'd agree with Drake. More than likely you're not sending and receiving on the same channel, or that one of your radios is set to use sub-channels...
For the record...there is NO SUCH THING AS SUB-CHANNELS!! It is physically impossible for such a thing (as you have defined it) to exist. There are such things as modulating sub-carriers or multi-carrier/multiplex-types of emissions, but I won't get into that right now as it doesn't apply to the authorized emissions for FRS/GMRS.

Simply put, FRS and GMRS are discreet channels, interleaved at 12.5 kHz spacing, and have a pre-defined or authorized bandwidth and transmit power level. The incorrect use of the term sub-channel is meaningless in this case and only adds to the general confusion.

FRS/GMRS radios are authorized to employ conditional access squelch control such as sub-audible tones (CTCSS, or PL --which is a Motorola trademark) or digital codes (DCS, or DPL --again Motorola) on any of the available frequencies. The purpose of these squelch codes/tones is to allow multiple users to share the same frequency without having to endure each other's conversations all the time. They are not separated from each other by some mystical thing called a sub-channel...both radios are working on the exact same frequency and would interfere with one another should they both simultaneously transmit. The only difference is that their speakers will remain muted until they receive a transmission on that exact same frequency having a correspondingly identical squelch tone or code. Conditional squelch control does not a sub-channel make...

Ready...FIRE...Aim!
'Fly

G-68

Learning To Fly
© 1986 Pink Floyd
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:18   #8
Crunchmeister

Yeah, I know. But it's commonly referred to as subchannels, so that's what I mean... CTSS, squelch tones, etc... all means the same, really. It's like interchanging supressor / silencer. Yeah, supressor is the correct term, but both are used all the time and people know what they mean.
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:23   #9
FlyGuy

Ok, I get you...it's just that I've spent the past 18 years in the wireless communications business and it drives me nuts (pet peeve I suppose) when I see totally incorrect terminology being tossed around without any kind of follow-up explanation. It's especially confusing for newbies so that's why I felt it important to press the PTT as it were in this case...

Cheers!
'Fly

G-68

Learning To Fly
© 1986 Pink Floyd
Old December 29th, 2008, 15:23   #10
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
You don't need the programming cable man, I programmed all the channels into my PX-777 radio in a matter of less than 5 minutes.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 17:35   #11
mopic

I have seen this before, some of the Chinese radios have CTCSS tone that are slightly off. try one tone above, or one tone below. Also the Commercial tones often do not marry well with consumer frs models. The term sub channel is a misnomer. it is a sub audible frequency that is transmitted in the carrier for opening the squelch.
mopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 17:18   #12
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
You don't need the programming cable man, I programmed all the channels into my PX-777 radio in a matter of less than 5 minutes.

Dunno, I was doing FRS+GRMS, Ch.1-14 + 15-22 low power, 101-114 + 115-122 high power, + labels for all. I'd done it once before (manually) and it was tedious and annoying, so when I redid the current setup I went for the cable.

It also lets you program some features which aren't accessible from the keypad (on the PX-777+ anyway).
Old January 5th, 2009, 19:46   #13
MadMorbius
Much faster to program most radios with a cable and the appropriate software.

FlyGuy, know where I can get the Motorola programming software for Saber II? Hit me up off grid if you have a source.
Old January 5th, 2009, 22:08   #14
FlyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMorbius View Post
Much faster to program most radios with a cable and the appropriate software.

FlyGuy, know where I can get the Motorola programming software for Saber II? Hit me up off grid if you have a source.
Not sure if it's going to be that helpful but...PM sent.

'Fly

G-68

Learning To Fly
© 1986 Pink Floyd
Old January 6th, 2009, 13:10   #15
Drake
E-01

Do you know which radio version of the software you need?

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion