Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Guns coming across the border

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old February 1st, 2017, 23:42   #1
Showe22

Guns coming across the border

I have recently purchased one of the new Novritsch SSG-24 airsoft guns. I have tried to understand the firearms codes, but it doesnt make sense to me.

Please tell me if I have misunderstood the laws...

Airguns that are considered firearms under the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code:
- muzzle velocity greater than 500 feet per second and muzzle energy exceeding 5.7 joules.

I don't believe many airsoft guns exceed 5.7 joules, even a Novritsch sniper. I requested the 430 fps spring to be installed.

Guns that fit the above criteria are subject to the same legal requirements as owning a real rifle.

Air guns that meet the criminal code but are not considered firearms:
- maximum velocity of 500 fps and/or 5.7 joules.

the stipulation with these standards seems to be that they are only considered firearms under the criminal code if used to commit a crime. The owner of one of the airsoft guns is not required by law to have a firearms license or registration certificate.

Has anyone had luck ordering a gun from outside the country and having it come through customs? It doesn't seem like the SSG-24 breaks any rules set out by the RCMP, and meets the requirements of an airsoft gun legal in canada.
Showe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 00:01   #2
NAAZ
One of those username tags...

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...9-13-2-eng.pdf

para 4.

(d) Low muzzle velocity/energy guns – Any barrelled weapon that is not designed or adapted to discharge
projectiles at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.4 metres per second (500 feet per second) and at a muzzle
energy exceeding 5.7 Joules, or to discharge projectiles that are designed or adapted to attain a velocity
exceeding 152.4 metres per second (500 feet per second) and an energy exceeding 5.7 Joules. Both thresholds
of 152.4 mps and 5.7 Joules must be exceeded for the firearm to be considered “controlled”.
This requirement
exempts firearms that fire below the threshold velocity with a standard projectile, but exceed the threshold
velocity when fired with a high-velocity projectile

take page 8 of the memo for reference and you should be fine if they give you hassle. I'm only speaking from speculation though, not experience.

Last edited by NAAZ; February 2nd, 2017 at 00:04..
NAAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 00:18   #3
Showe22

thanks Naaz, thats encouraging information. I'm going to call the CBSA tomorrow to ask some questions
Showe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 14:15   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

more importantly, it has to be over the "366fps on .20s" minimum
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 17:06   #5
Nova316

Make sure it has test papers to prove it shoots over 366 with .20 and you'll be okay
Nova316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 21:10   #6
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showe22 View Post
I have recently purchased one of the new Novritsch SSG-24 airsoft guns.

[...]

Airguns that are considered firearms under the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code:
- muzzle velocity greater than 500 feet per second and muzzle energy exceeding 5.7 joules.

I don't believe many airsoft guns exceed 5.7 joules, even a Novritsch sniper. I requested the 430 fps spring to be installed.
The laws aren't written for airsoft specifically. Pellet guns in the 500 fps range are well past the 5.7j limit (for a .22cal pellet gun, 5.7j is reached closer to 400 fps).

For airsoft (using .2g BBs) you'd be in the 800 fps range to reach 5.7j, so for all practical purposes this doesn't apply to airsoft.

Beyond the 500fps/5.7j limit the airgun is considered a firearm. There's no such thing as an "uncontrolled firearm" in the criminal code: that's a CBSA term. If it's below the limit, its a non-firearm (such as an airgun). HOWEVER, if it's below 366fps (w/ .2g bb) it becomes a REPLICA FIREARM which is prohibited (illegal). Therefor as T-Cactus indicated, the number you need to be concerned about is that 366fps minimum.

ANY non-firearm (airguns, airsoft, replicas) used in the commission of a crime will be treated as a firearm. e.g., you threaten someone with an airsoft pistol on the street, it WILL be treated as if you'd used a real pistol.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:32   #7
IrwWyatt

Something I really struggle with is what someone mentioned from another thread.
What paper work is actually viable to the CBSA in terms of proving the FPS.
There isn't a standardized test or any agency that would preform it so where would you get this documentation.
IrwWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:50   #8
NAAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrwWyatt View Post
Something I really struggle with is what someone mentioned from another thread.
What paper work is actually viable to the CBSA in terms of proving the FPS.
There isn't a standardized test or any agency that would preform it so where would you get this documentation.
if you are ordering from overseas, the major retailers should already be providing a chrono'd certificate. this is just an example I pulled from a thread, I don't remember which one:

if you are trying to bring them across the border, you can ask any airsoft store to do a chrono and provide a table with that store's contact info.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:03   #9
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAZ View Post
if you are ordering from overseas, the major retailers should already be providing a chrono'd certificate. this is just an example I pulled from a thread, I don't remember which one:

if you are trying to bring them across the border, you can ask any airsoft store to do a chrono and provide a table with that store's contact info.
99.9% of asian retailers will fabricate one like above. CBSA looks at their website as well to confirm the fps; so if the paper says 370+-, but their site says 300 - don't expect any good results.

If they have a a <gun> at 370 FPS listed on website, and give you the paper work; then you're golden.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:14   #10
NAAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
99.9% of asian retailers will fabricate one like above. CBSA looks at their website as well to confirm the fps; so if the paper says 370+-, but their site says 300 - don't expect any good results.

If they have a a <gun> at 370 FPS listed on website, and give you the paper work; then you're golden.
but guns can be modified as well to shoot over 366 and the website won't indicate modified FPS I'm pretty sure.
Old February 3rd, 2017, 10:54   #11
Datawraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAZ View Post
but guns can be modified as well to shoot over 366 and the website won't indicate modified FPS I'm pretty sure.
Which is the exact reason they will be seized if there's a discrepancy like BioRage said.

They'll test it then themselves and if it doesn't meet the requirements, too bad; no gun for you.

Why on earth would CBSA trust just a piece of paper?

I could pull up excel and pull numbers out my ass too; doesn't mean those are legit numbers that my gun shoots at.

Last edited by Datawraith; February 3rd, 2017 at 11:06..
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 17:58   #12
joshua3302

Quote:
I have recently purchased one of the new Novritsch SSG-24 airsoft guns. I have tried to understand the firearms codes, but it doesnt make sense to me.

Guns that fit the above criteria are subject to the same legal requirements as owning a real rifle.

the stipulation with these standards seems to be that they are only considered firearms under the criminal code if used to commit a crime. The owner of one of the airsoft guns is not required by law to have a firearms license or registration certificate.

Has anyone had luck ordering a gun from outside the country and having it come through customs? It doesn't seem like the SSG-24 breaks any rules set out by the RCMP, and meets the requirements of an airsoft gun legal in canada.
Make sure you order the right spring [under 500 fps] Is an option on the Novritsch site
joshua3302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 18:20   #13
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua3302 View Post
Make sure you order the right spring [under 500 fps] Is an option on the Novritsch site
this post is 5 months old
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2019, 14:12   #14
joshua3302

Quote:

I was where you were at a few weeks ago. Deciding on a SSG-24 or a Bar-10. Would the gun make it through customs? I contacted Novritsch but he told me I would have to pre-order and wait 3 months so I bought a Bar-10 to upgrade.
On his site it has a list of counties to import to including Canada. You just have to order the spring that shoots 490 fps.
joshua3302 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion