Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Star SCAR issues and upgrades

:

Doctor's Corner

Old March 12th, 2009, 15:34   #1
aybc

Star SCAR issues and upgrades

I bought a star scar used and unfortunately the motor (or gear system) appears to be working extra hard to fire, you really smell electronics when using it.

Its completely stock and im looking for anyone else who owns a star scar that has upgraded to assist me with tracking down upgrades. Im a newb obviously.

From what I've read its a type 2 box, so does that mean i can just use the generic type 2 upgrades that other guns use?

Lemme know anything you guys can tell me, it would be a big help.
aybc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:10   #2
Big Pepa

If it's a version 2 mechbox then any ver2 part will be ok. It probably is a ver.2 mechbox.

I don't know for sure because I don't own one, but, I'm 99.9% sure.

Unless of course star has come out with some new mechbox that the airsoft community is unaware of

Last edited by Big Pepa; March 13th, 2009 at 06:11.. Reason: hi
Big Pepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 14:58   #3
Big Pepa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiviet View Post
Almost correct...

Generally internals should be fine for upgrades so gears, bushings, pistons, piston heads, springs etc.

There are quite a few differences with the Star Scar mechbox though.

Hop-up chamber - The hop up chamber is linked directly to the mechbox, so the only replacement one you can use would have to come directly from the manufacturer

hop-up - Reportedly from another person's account, he tried using a different rubber than the stock one and it didn't work.

Selector Plate(?) - Star uses some strange system of gears to actually move the selector plate, so those proprietary parts will have to come straight from Star/Ares as well.

Motor - motor should be fine to replace, however Star soders the motor contacts, so you'll need a sodering iron handy to get it off. After which if you want to use a different motor then you'll have to change the contacts.

Spring Guide - the star mechbox actually has a quick change spring system, so the spring guide can only be made by star. Unlike the hop-up chamber and selector plate stuff, Star actually sells the spring guide seperately so it won't be difficult to attain.

This is all i know of so far, I know nothing of mechbox's in general but i'm taking a local course over this weekend. The Star gearbox is what i'll be working on so I'll try to take as many pictures of the differences and update you with them hopefully by sunday evening.

Nice, I had no idea there were so many differences.

Last edited by Big Pepa; March 13th, 2009 at 14:58.. Reason: s
Big Pepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 23:06   #4
Stupideye

Sorry for the huge necro post but does anyone know where I can find the Gearbox shell for a STAR SCAR?
Stupideye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:09   #5
Daiviet
Captain Sunshine

Contact Ares customer support. Just as a heads up though I'm in the same boat with needing a new mechbox shell, and they've informed me they don't have any in stock but their production of them starts again in July.... So expect a bit of a wait
Daiviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:14   #6
Stupideye

Okay thank you
Stupideye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 11:16   #7
S.A.W.yer

*NECRO POST ALERT*

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the star scars are now?.. Do they still need upgrades out of the box?
S.A.W.yer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 14:07   #8
Short Round
Najohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.W.yer View Post
*NECRO POST ALERT*

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the star scars are now?.. Do they still need upgrades out of the box?
Yes they do, either get a G&G or VFC.

If you are really tight on money get a DBOYs, it is a clone of the VFC so the body will be better than the Star. HOWEVER the internals are horrific so I suggest upgrading it still right away just like the Star, which will cost roughly the same amount as the G&G or VFC... so might as well just get a G&G or VFC.
Old December 11th, 2013, 14:13   #9
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the vfc is a bit more of a pain in the ass electrically if you go up that upgrade path. Part of what makes the vfc cool for taking it apart also makes it a huge pain in the ass to get it to be electically efficient and have more advanced mosfets installed.
Old December 11th, 2013, 14:25   #10
Short Round
Najohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
the vfc is a bit more of a pain in the ass electrically if you go up that upgrade path. Part of what makes the vfc cool for taking it apart also makes it a huge pain in the ass to get it to be electically efficient and have more advanced mosfets installed.
Funny thing you say that, I just got my master gun doc to dremel a hole into the stock to install a mosfet and remove the original battery wiring that went through the hinge haha.

Def wish I had gotten a G&G with that if I knew I was going to do that but too late now!
Old December 11th, 2013, 16:57   #11
bug519

I have the BTC spectre MOSFET in my vfc scar and it works beautifully! Highly recommended for all vfc scar users, and anyone else for that matter
The trigger response is incredible even with my 3 year old stock gear set!
bug519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:38   #12
SuperCriollo

I had one, what I hated the most was how flimsy was the plastic.

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner