Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ak midcap opinions

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old July 18th, 2019, 14:27   #1
sly mantis

Ak midcap opinions

HI
Got a cyma ak as my first airsoft aeg. Looking at toronto airsoft, they have cyma 150rd midcaps in 3 different styles: Metal, ak74 "bakelite" and waffle.
Any noticeable difference in quality or performance between each of these?

Thanks
sly mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 14:34   #2
Desmodus
Mexifaggot

I've used the metal and bakelite ones, no issues with them at all.

Primaries: LCT AK74MN w/SKTBR, VFC M4 SOPMOD Block 2
Secondary: Latino heat, TM Glock 17
Desmodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 17:11   #3
That_Limey_Brit

I've not really had any issues with most brands of mids, I've never had good waffle mags though.

If it bothers you, be sure to get the correct magazine type for your rifle type. (7.62 for AK47's/AKMs, etc. 5.45 for AK74's and more modern rifles) what model is the AK you have?
Old July 18th, 2019, 18:39   #4
sly mantis

Seller told me its a Cyma Cm048. Not to sure on the exact model. see picture below. any information you can share would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190718_175709317.jpg (157.1 KB, 14 views)
Old July 18th, 2019, 18:49   #5
That_Limey_Brit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly mantis View Post
Seller told me its a Cyma Cm048. Not to sure on the exact model. see picture below. any information you can share would be appreciated.
74. You want bakelite 5.45mm style mags to be in keeping but in Airsoft they all work.
Old July 18th, 2019, 19:08   #6
Wilkie

It’s all going to come down to what company produces these magazines. Assuming they came from the same company they’re likely exactly the same internally. Only difference being the aesthetic. Personally I like Bakelite for a 5.45 pattern Ak and metal for a 7.62 ak.
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 19:52   #7
Ratters

Cyma aks74n

Very nice Afghanka style aeg, one of my favourite. What you need now is a bayonet, a Russian tourniquet holding a soviet era field dressing in the stock, a RP0-7 sight a GP-25, the buffer for the stock and a Russian Deer head sling. you could also mount a SVD cheek rest on it and some blue tape around double mags as some soviet troop in Afghanistan did. nice choice of rifle. What's also nice is you can easily convert it to the AKS74M

The CYMA 74 magazines are smooth sided meaning they don't have the side bolsters at the magwell end that some other brands come with.

Best thing to do when you game is ask other AK74 owners what mags they use and ask if you can try one, carefully. Never force a mag because the plastic lip will bend or break and this will likely piss off your buddy who may quickly change sides, light you up and claim he didn't hear you call your hits.

LCT 74 mags tend to be brittle in this area. CYMA Bulgarian type, the semi clear waffle type tend to jam by double stack bb's forcing the inner guide appart or in some cases the screw holes strip out.

Generally I would only buy new mags unless you can test them or trust the source.

CYMA, MAG Brand, Lancer, Aftermath, JG and Marui (og marui) should all fit and feed without issues. G&P, VFC, E&L mags all (i believe) have the side bolsters, they may or may not fit but they are the upper tier mags. out of those three G&P are popular, as are VFC.

Both are difficult to find in stock locally but worth the chase. Details are in the eyes of the beholder and the top prize imo goes to VFC.

Last edited by Ratters; July 18th, 2019 at 20:02.. Reason: fix my terrible speeling and grimmer
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 23:12   #8
sly mantis

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I knew it was a 74, but wasnt too concerned about authenticity of the look, i was more focused on the function/reliability, although the waffle mags were my favourite in terms of looks. Too bad it sounds like they might not be the most reliable.
I found some cyma metal Tantal style midcaps as well now. I think im going to go with those as it will keep the proper ak74 look and have the durability of metal.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion