Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Experience with plates?

:

Gear Discussion

Old June 3rd, 2019, 13:34   #1
jwm470

Experience with plates?

I'm thinking of adding some better plates to my LBT 6094b. Currently I've been looking at getting some AA shield soft side plates and then a CPE level 3+ multi curve ceramics for the front and back.

Has anyone had any experience with AA shield products? CPE?

Is there any other options for cheap ceramic armor? (want to focus mainly on front and back sapi plates that will fit in the LBT)

Thanks a bunch?

P.S
On a side note, do you guys have any recommendations for a second like ifak setup? Pouches and supplies, or pre-filled ifaks? Looking for ones in Coyote brown to go with my vest
jwm470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 14:43   #2
06jorkee

"Cheap" and ceramic armor are two things that don't belong together. Are you wanting ceramic plates that are actually properly rated/trustworthy, or do you just want some plates to simulate some weight?

If you're going to spring for ceramic plates because you want L3+ protection, don't cheap out on something that's safety related. The idea of cheap body armor shouldn't be a thing. If you just want something for airsoft why not buy a set of non-ballistic SAPI plates and save a ton of money? Or buy a set of Ice Plates and keep cool?

Do you want a carrier mounted or belt mounted IFAK pouch? I'm a fan of tear away kits- CTOMS makes a great IFAK pouch, and for a belt line kit I'd look at the Coyote Tactical Solutions STOMP
06jorkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 17:25   #3
jwm470

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06jorkee View Post
"Cheap" and ceramic armor are two things that don't belong together. Are you wanting ceramic plates that are actually properly rated/trustworthy, or do you just want some plates to simulate some weight?

If you're going to spring for ceramic plates because you want L3+ protection, don't cheap out on something that's safety related. The idea of cheap body armor shouldn't be a thing. If you just want something for airsoft why not buy a set of non-ballistic SAPI plates and save a ton of money? Or buy a set of Ice Plates and keep cool?

Do you want a carrier mounted or belt mounted IFAK pouch? I'm a fan of tear away kits- CTOMS makes a great IFAK pouch, and for a belt line kit I'd look at the Coyote Tactical Solutions STOMP
For me "cheap" is kind of relative, I'm hoping for plates around (hopefully under) $300 a plate but I'm kind of flexible with prices. I just want something that is reliable and will work if it needs to.

I'm looking to have a second line set up for a IFAK that will be larger than a first line set up. I'm working on trying to set up a belt once my vest has been propperly taken care of, and I think I'd be trying to get a smaller IFAK on the belt such as Blue Force Gears micro trauma kit or something such as that (maybe the LBT 9022b)
Old June 3rd, 2019, 18:01   #4
06jorkee

I believe Grey Ghost Gear is having a blow out on ceramic plates right now at $550 for a set. Otherwise, $300 a plate might be tough for ceramics. I'm running APM Technologie's myself.

For a small belt IFAK, the BFG micro trauma is nice. If I was in the market for a small one i'd give the coyote tactical burrito a hard look
Old June 3rd, 2019, 18:27   #5
jwm470

Quote:
I believe Grey Ghost Gear is having a blow out on ceramic plates right now at $550 for a set. Otherwise, $300 a plate might be tough for ceramics. I'm running APM Technologie's myself.

For a small belt IFAK, the BFG micro trauma is nice. If I was in the market for a small one i'd give the coyote tactical burrito a hard look
Could you maybe link the sale? I can't seem to find it.

I think I'll give the tactical burrito a look, anything else your recommend for PC setup?
Old June 3rd, 2019, 18:58   #6
06jorkee

https://sjhardware.com/product/ggap-...10-x-12-plate/

As far as recommendations go, it depends on what your intended purpose or role is. As a general rule, I set up to have 3x rifle mags and 2x pistol mags, and med supplies available on my carrier as a bare minimum, and then go from there depending on what i'm going to need for the day/weekend/course/etc. It also depends if you're talking airsoft or real steel.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 19:13   #7
jwm470

Quote:
https://sjhardware.com/product/ggap-...10-x-12-plate/

As far as recommendations go, it depends on what your intended purpose or role is. As a general rule, I set up to have 3x rifle mags and 2x pistol mags, and med supplies available on my carrier as a bare minimum, and then go from there depending on what i'm going to need for the day/weekend/course/etc. It also depends if you're talking airsoft or real steel.
currently I'm just doing airsoft, but looking to get into real steel soon. I'm running 2 double decker taco's on the front with a single taco and a ITW fastmag stacked to complete the front panel. I also have a Blue Force Gear 10 speed double mag pouch under my arm on the right side for bumping any mags that need to be replaced on the front. It's fairly slick and a decent set up but i still need comms for my comtac 3's and meds.

Joining the reserves soon since I'm looking for some experience before I go to RMC later down the road since I'm pretty much set up to go there with a position on the volleyball team
Old June 3rd, 2019, 19:28   #8
Drake
E-01

Don't use real ceramic plates to play if you ever intend to use them to potentially stop any kind of real bullets: impacts or dropping can damage the ceramic and diminish their effectiveness.

Use training plates to train / play. It's about $150 for a pair of Team Wendy SAPI training plates. Not gonna break the bank and it will keep your real plates up to snuff for when you actually need them.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 19:40   #9
jwm470

yeah, for playing I was mostly thinking of keeping my foam sapi plates and using them or getting some weighted ones
Old June 3rd, 2019, 21:26   #10
06jorkee

I think the Qore Performance iceplates are where it's at for airsoft
Old June 4th, 2019, 08:44   #11
jwm470

Quote:
I think the Qore Performance iceplates are where it's at for airsoft
how well do they tend to work? the only thing I'd be concerned with is condensation making my shirt wet and soggy. Also how would you run both a front and back plate with them both having drinking tubes? just hide one till you need it?
Old June 4th, 2019, 11:27   #12
06jorkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm470 View Post
how well do they tend to work? the only thing I'd be concerned with is condensation making my shirt wet and soggy. Also how would you run both a front and back plate with them both having drinking tubes? just hide one till you need it?
You don't have to run them as plates in your carrier- you can strap them to the back of it, or buy the sleeve that attaches it as a separate back panel pouch. Or you can run them in the same plate bag behind your current plates.

They have a 4" section of tube coming out of the reservoir that has a female quick detach fitting on it that accepts the male end of most popular reservoir hoses out there. You could run two hoses off it and stow them on your carrier, or you could run a single and just swap it to the fresh reservoir once your first one runs out.
Old June 14th, 2019, 16:45   #13
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Your PM box is full.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 11:41   #14
jwm470

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
Your PM box is full.
yeah, just fixed it and deleted a bunch of old messages