Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

"Sniper" Gear

:

Gear Discussion

Old November 22nd, 2009, 22:08   #46
Steven

I dont mind, anyone can post questions, In more recent news...

I've got an extra Pistol mag on the way hopefully, so I'm good for the pistol now.
What do you think about using a flight suit as the base for my ghillie?
Also, This is what im now thinking in terms of Gear:
Battle Belt
1 Pistol Mag pouch
3 APS pouches(possibly pistol pouches)
Admin pouch(snacks, BB's, Map)
Camel Back

Will this be sufficient for Me? Our longest sim i've been at so far, is only around 3-4 hours, so It's not like this is a kit made for an all day experience.... yet
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:51   #47
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN__Player View Post
Ive been looking at the KJW M700 for awhile now. You can get 30 round mags for around 80 bucks

how would you rate the KJW M700?
Ya, the Tanaka M700 30rd mags do work.

It's an ok rifle, really accurate when you dry swab the barrel every 20 shots (when my daughter was 11 she loved to shoot bottlecaps at 30ft in the basement with mine), and can easily get 1/2" groups with good ammo. Not a lot of upgrades to do to it, more tweaks than anything else like file down the inner feed lips because they nick the BB surface (makes the bolt forward motion smoother too), and the before mentioned filing the mag lips. I've only gamed it once but was used to my CA M24 so is why I've only gamed it once, wasn't used to the 700.

Overall, great rifle for the price, if you can deal with it being gas. Oh ya, fill the mag with gas first, fire 3-4 shots to settle the gas, then load with BBs. Otherwise you'll get insane fps like 100-150fps over what it settles to.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:20   #48
damage

Send a message via Yahoo to damage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin#1[Op-for] View Post
Nice, looks pretty lightweight and lowdrag, where did you keep your pistol damage? Dropleg?
I rarely carry a pistol with me. I sling my CQB M4 gives me the edge who ever comes close.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:32   #49
Steven

Hmm, turns out i cannot grab te extra pistol mag i found, so maybe i should use My CYMA AKs-74u? I could try removing the stock temporarily, and just get a pouch or two for some midcaps.

Also, question about the ghillie again, So far i have understood that you were the pants, then a shirt with your gear, and your Ghillie on top? Or your gear on top of the ghille?
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:09   #50
coach
aka coachster

gear under the ghillie. wearing gear over your ghillie won't help disguise you if people can see you pack/vest etc..
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:19   #51
Steven

Yeah, thats what i was confused about. In terms of my secondary, Is there a way to Remove the folding stock on the CYMA Aks-74u? Theres a back pin in the stock, but it wont budge, and i dont want to force it. Never know about pot metal.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:32   #52
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Yeah, thats what i was confused about. In terms of my secondary, Is there a way to Remove the folding stock on the CYMA Aks-74u? Theres a back pin in the stock, but it wont budge, and i dont want to force it. Never know about pot metal.

Why remove the stock? just leave it folded till you need the weapon.. then unfold it. It's pretty compact when its folded.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 13:48   #53
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

You might consider one of these to add to a belt:

http://www.optactical.com/snwa.html

I have one and it works decently, keeps your mags, etc. on your back. Having an AEG along with you in a sniper role is a double edged sword, it gives you added firepower when you need it, but makes crawling and stealth moving a pain because it snags on stuff, more so when crawling with rifle, you have to move each ahead of you before you can move. Picture crawling slowly through brush, move rifle ahead through brush, move AEG next, move your body up....... repeat. Taking the mag out would be beneficial (ESPECIALLY if it's an AK!!!), I have a similar problem since i only own MP5s as AEGs, they have the same long length mags, although I do have a shorty I use at times.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 13:49   #54
tunabreath

Just curious, has anyone run a shoulder molle platform? I was thinking of getting one to supplement my belt while avoiding adding any more front-side bulk. It seems good and out of the way, but I'd like to hear some first hand opinions before I do anything else.

*something like this:
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwol...l?prodID=21877

minus the holster, plus mag/misc storage pouches. I run my sidearm at the hip on my belt.
Also, does anyone know where I can find one with the molle running vertically so the pouches open forwards rather than up into your armpit or down to your hips?

Last edited by tunabreath; November 23rd, 2009 at 13:53..
tunabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 14:06   #55
Oborous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Hmm, turns out i cannot grab te extra pistol mag i found, so maybe i should use My CYMA AKs-74u? I could try removing the stock temporarily, and just get a pouch or two for some midcaps.

Also, question about the ghillie again, So far i have understood that you were the pants, then a shirt with your gear, and your Ghillie on top? Or your gear on top of the ghille?
First things about Ghillies. FIREPROOF YOUR GHILLIE!

2nd thing about Ghillie. DRINK WATER. Heat stroke is a real concern with these things, and they can absorb a huge amount of water which weighs you down and just messes with your body's ability to thermo-regulate.

3rd thing about ghillies, they only enhance your skill, they don't replace your skill in stealth; they are not an invisibilty cloak

4th thing about ghillies, Ghillies are time consuming to make, and there is quite a bit of art to them, rather than science.

So, when you're dealing with ghillies there are three major types. Full body, BDU based, a cape/tog.

The full body are pretty much useless for airsoft use.Full Body (even though it's in the category of "paintball/airsoft") You'll catch on twigs and such, try crawling with that thing. Even on the same wesbite looked at their "Sniper" Ghillie

BDU based
This allows you to crawl around much easier (see the "Sniper" Ghillie for an example). Sometimes you'll see Duck Canvas on strategic points or on the whole front torso.

My recommendation for you is the cloak/tog style.
Viper Hood - Most Expensive
SO Tech Ghillie Cloak - Good deal if you order from them, they initially were $220+ so retailers are generally keeping it at the higher price
Voodoo Tactical Ghillie Tog - Airsoft grade, but the cheapest One Shot tactical sells them here so it's already in Canada.

LBT use to make something similar, but isn't being listed now.

I have seen a guy (Now, awesome skillset and perfectly tuned gun) recieve the Voodoo tactical tog the night before a game, show up at the game and just use cut foliage to hand us a complete team kill by himself.

You're going to want to keep your F3 (F**king a football factor) low, so you can crawl well. Maybe even some molle shoulder holsters (see Tactical Tailor) along with a belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabreath View Post
Tunabreath, you do realize that the real thing (see the Tactical Tailor link above) is cheaper than the Redwolf knockoff?? (Yes, it doesn't come with the pistol holster, but who cares).

Off the top of my head you'll want:
Rifle + extra magazines + BB's + Gas (assuming you can find a small can)
Pistol + no more than 1 extra mag (if you're getting into a pistol fight -going- to a firing position, then that position is probably comprimised, pull back and move somewhere else)
Hydration (remember 2nd thing to know about Ghillies)
Radio + headset (Observation is critical for you, make sure you can communicate it and recieve intel)
Booboo kit (small personal first-aid kit, bandaids, tweezers, moleskin; you're crawling through crap, don't let a scrape go septic)

Optional (realize I'm suggesting this for airsoft, so mil snipers will disagree here):
Binoculars (you have a scope, use it; if you're going more authentic, go for the 7x50 or 10x50's)
Pruning Shears (Sorry, not listed on Gerber's site anymore, and can't find the military/green ones... don't know if there is a difference between what I posted at them... but mine are built like a tank, 1" trees are no match for them)
Food (only when you're not in a hide, and don't carry stuff that is going to make you gassy, smelly, or upset your stomach)

Do NOT carry:
Energy drinks (especially sugary ones, you'll crash; or the caffiene will make you antsy and gittery, plus the need to piss is not condusive to successful sniping)
Drag Bag (Instead, leave your backpack at spawn point and go extra light)
Entrenching Shovel (For advanced skills only, because dealing with with the dirt that you dug up is a real skill)

BTW, get obsessive about your BB handling techniques. I know snipers who wash their BB's to remove the polish (better engagement with the hopup), dye them black (harder to trace the shot back to you), only touch them with their hands the one time that they load them

Good luck

Last edited by Oborous; November 23rd, 2009 at 15:15..
Oborous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 14:14   #56
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Regarding fireproofing, good idea, most store bought (the stuff sold in large sheets at CT and Rona anyways as it's meant for winter tree-wrapping, decorative wall covering, so it's mandatory), is already treated with fireproofing to a point (a lit cigarette won't ignite it, might smolder after a few mins of being left on, even fine strands, the lit part goes out when source is remove), but will still burn fast if an open flame is held to it. Not sure just how far further fireproofing will make it, but is still a good idea overall.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 15:12   #57
Oborous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
Regarding fireproofing, good idea, most store bought (the stuff sold in large sheets at CT and Rona anyways as it's meant for winter tree-wrapping, decorative wall covering, so it's mandatory), is already treated with fireproofing to a point (a lit cigarette won't ignite it, might smolder after a few mins of being left on, even fine strands, the lit part goes out when source is remove), but will still burn fast if an open flame is held to it. Not sure just how far further fireproofing will make it, but is still a good idea overall.

There are specific products out there

You gotta remember that most ghillie suits are treated in various ways i.e spray paint, alternate materials, and even fire-retardants (According to the ANSI standards) are only generally rated for 1 year; so it can wear off. Does the spray paint comprimise the fire-retardant?

Still, weathering your Ghillie adds fireproofing. Soak your Ghillie in mud, let it dry, beat it thoroughly with a stick. Mud should not be swamp muck, and should be from your area of operations.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 15:17   #58
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oborous View Post
There are specific products out there

Still, weathering your Ghillie adds fireproofing. Soak your Ghillie in mud, let it dry, beat it thoroughly with a stick. Mud should not be swamp muck, and should be from your area of operations.
Did that after I made it, and usage it collects mud and sand dust regularly. Makes sense though, since sand/dirt isn't flammable.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 16:27   #59
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Someone asked.

My first ghillie suit looked like this.

It was it's first field test and it was not yet weathered. But still effective for where I was.

That was the greener version. Not fully weathered.

Rifle ghillied

I don't have many pics of me in ghillie suit, as I usually spend a long time in the field and I'm rarely where people take pictures.

It's a basic one size too large US woodland BDU that I moded. Vented the back, modded the pants for velcro opening for the boots. Re-enforced the legs and elbos. Modded the colar to make a hood. Removec all buttons and put a little velcro...

This pic was taken after finishing the first version.

This is what it looked like once finished and on me. Notice the lack of jute at the front and everywhere you will make contact with the ground. To fassilitate crawling. That is very important and it's lacking in most comercial ghillie suit.

Now my ghillie suit is busted to shit, almost completely brown and dark green. It match verywell in most forest environement, but I ripped it on so much stuff, I need to make a new one.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 16:39   #60
Oborous

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post

Rifle ghillied
Crap, I forgot to mention that... but, Fox_111, you gave me an idea.

You could always get a professional rifle wrap made up (scroll to the bottom of the page). You send him pictures of your AO, and he does up it up. But, you get the wrap made up and then you can use that as a template for your suit/cape to help you along as to how things should look. (Realize that this has nothing to do with the gear question, but would help the OP make his Ghillie)
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion