Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Legit PRC-152 or not?

:

Gear Discussion

Old November 6th, 2016, 04:47   #1
FrostyFlakes02

Legit PRC-152 or not?

I'm kinda clueless when it comes to law for radio use in Canada. However, tired of using baofengs and ready to go balls out for a real communication set-up, I stumble upon this Hong Kong website : https://shop.jkarmy.com/searchanise/result?q=tri . Has anybody ordered there and confirm me that these are the real deal? The price seems high so probably it is and also would I get in trouble if I import the PRC-152?
FrostyFlakes02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 05:53   #2
ShadowTwoSix

There's others on here that know far more than i do about these but looking at the ad and which site it's from, I would say these are the Triumph Instruments PRC functional replicas of the Harris PRC-152 etc. They are functional radios but are certainly not the same thing as the RS Harris radio. I believe they have similar functions to the Baofengs but can't say for sure as I have yet to invest in either.

The actual Harris 148 or 152s would likely be in the thousands just given what I know the average LE portable radio costs.

Here's the real thing: https://www.harris.com/product-line/...-falcon-radios
Old November 6th, 2016, 17:06   #3
Drake
E-01

If by "real deal" you mean the real Thales/Falcon Harris PRC-152s, then no, these are replicas by Triumph Instrument (TRI).

Chipset is reportedly the same as in Woxun/Beofeng radios. Dual band xceivers (UHF and VHF) with additional tuning for FM, UHF and VHF (not very useful unless you really want to listen to CKOI while you're out on the field?)

Real PRC-152s aren't intended for civilian sales and not cleared for export (from the US) so your odds of finding are slim to none, and if you did you'd be bidding against Chinese spies for it.

Part of the problem(s) you're likely having with your current radio is likely due to the antenna. Note that the real MBITR is also 5W Tx.
Old November 6th, 2016, 17:58   #4
Danke

I think the guy on here called Canarmo was partnered up with a guy doing TRI stuff in Quebec and Airsoft Depot had them too with pricing that was very reasonable.

I'd say check out the Quebec guy. He as a Facebook group too to share info.
Old November 7th, 2016, 00:30   #5
WPJ

Ive dealt with the QC guy and he has always come through with everything. Unless you are set in the 152, lol at the 148 a little more but nicer interface to work with.
WPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 23:56   #6
R711

There are real civilian PRC 148's out in the real world without the CCI (crypto) installed, but finding one for sale well that another story. I've only ever seen 3 radios up for sale, they were selling north of 1500€. The TRI radios can accept real steel head sets etc, with the end user modding them or buying the converters from TRI.
R711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 00:03   #7
Drake
E-01

AFAIK those non-CCI models are meant for LE and Export (gov).
Old November 8th, 2016, 00:10   #8
FrostyFlakes02

Hmm...makes senses, thanks everyone for the infos. I guess that's a good deal to me since they seems well built and waterproof as they claim it it.
Old November 8th, 2016, 18:10   #9
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

The fact you ask this makes me cringe. Why?
1. It's on JK army
2. Look at the price and use some common sense.

While I don't know the cost of a 152 off hand, the 148 costs $21,816.00 per unit from the company, I've seen a few on ebay for $7,500 on the low end, for jsut a radio and maybe a battery, no chargers or kit included. The 152s are practically brand new (by military standards), even IF you could legally get one, which you can't, neither Harris nor Thales would provide you the software necessary to program it. So if you needed anything beyond the capability of the front panel, you're fucked. In fact, Harris controls each copy of software based on the serial numbers of the radios it is authorised to program (not sure if the same is true of Thales, not that it matters).

I'm under the understanding that Harris makes a neutered version (non-crypto (or non-Type-1 crypto), I believe, for export purposes), and no, you can't get that either.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified

Last edited by Gato; November 8th, 2016 at 18:16..
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 18:38   #10
Kos-Mos

As for your IMPORT question, yes, you can import radios.
But you need a radio operator license to use anything over .5w (cobras etc.)

hint: you can take the air trafic radio test, get your license for dirt cheap (took my course for 50$) and it removes the power limit...

And agreed, if you have problems with your Bao, it's probably a bad antenna and/or you programmed it wrong. Keep in mind, some settings are not available from the keypad/menu, you need the USB programmer.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 19:12   #11
FrostyFlakes02

Well Gato cringe all you want, I created this post for more infos on the topic of RS communication sets. I dealt with NVG equipment in the past and I understand why they are so expensive, but for radios since I`m clueless about it I only used brute deduction for the price and it seems I`m far way off. : ) (laugh)
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion