:

Reviews

Old March 25th, 2013, 13:56   #1
EagleDriver

Emerson Silynx Dual PTT replica

Emerson Silynx Dual PTT replica

Works with:

Radios:
- Kenwood two pin radios (Puxing, Wouxun, Baofeng, etc.)
- Yaesu radios
- Motorola talkabout single-pin radios
- Motorola two pin radios

Phones:
- Smartphone with 3.5mm jack (iPhone, Android, etc.)

Headsets:
- Real Peltor Comtac II
- Real MSA Sordin Supreme Pro
- Real TEA (Lite II, Ultralite, etc.)
- Emerson headsets (not Z Tactical or other replicas)

Overall:

Does not work with most replica headsets. Supposed to work with Element headsets but I do not have one to test with. Is not a true DUAL radio PTT as it activates transmit on both radios at the same time. Phone function works great.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I bought this from Ebaybanned along with two Kenwood dual pin pigtails and a Z Tactical new generation Bowman replica. Although I have a lot of real comm gear made by Peltor, MSA, and TEA, the one thing they cannot seem to do is a dual comm PTT with the ability to connect to a cell phone. While at big games such as OP Blacksheep or Berget, there have been times when radio communication was not possible and cell phone was the only alternative. It would be nice to not have to remove my headset to answer or make a call. The Emerson PTT is the second one to come out - Guns Workshop (GWS) did a knock-off first.

The PTT is $25 USD from EBB. Each pigtail is $7.00. The Z Tactical EVO 3 headset was $25 USD. Each item came in separate packages. This is not unusual for EBB and total shipping time was about 3 weeks from ordering.

The PTT just comes in a ziplock bag. It has Silynx on the front and Emerson markings on the back. Each Pigtail comes in it's own ziplock bag.

Fake battery compartment cover

The PTT has one lead for the headset for a TP-120 connector.

Emerson PTT, Wouxun KG-UV6D radios, Kenwood pigtails, TEA Ultralight headset

There are three downleads, one for Radio A, one for a phone, and one for Radio B. Radio A and B end in a mini-din connector and require a radio specific pigtail. The phone cable ends in a 3.5mm jack for iPhone, Andriod, etc.

PTT downlead mini-din connector

Kenwood two pin pigtail for Wouxun, Puxing, etc.

There are six buttons and one rotary switch. The top button and rotary switch are fake. The volume + and - buttons are also fake. The PTT A button should operate radio A, the PTT B button should operate radio B, and the MODE button should control the phone (answer/hang up call, start/stop music.)

PTT A and PTT B buttons

Fake "-" button, phone button, fake "+" buton

There is a fake battery compartment as this is an unpowered version.

Once I got all of the components, I tested the PTT. This is where things don't work well. PTT A controls BOTH radio A and B at the same time. PTT B controls Siri on my iPhone. the MODE button controls the answer/hangup/music on my iPhone.

Looking inside, I can see that the downleads for PTT A and B have each wire soldered together, so this must be as designed. But I cannot figure out why you would want to transmit on both radios at the same time every time. They both receive at the same time.

Headset - This PTT does NOT work with the replica headsets. I tried with the Z Tactical EVO 3 Bowman style, a knock-off Comtact, and an older Element knock-off Bowman. None worked. Now it DOES work with my real Comtac II, Sordin Supreme Pro, and my TEA Ultralight headset. So it is designed to work with real headsets only.

Emerson says that it works with their headsets, but I do not have any Emerson headsets to test with.

Overall, sound quality is good. Listen and talk on the iPhone was good quality.

Last edited by EagleDriver; March 29th, 2013 at 15:57..
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 15:44   #2
merpol-sniper

I got the same PTT as above, well after some soldering and some chopping mine now operates two radios.
merpol-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 16:07   #3
Zeonprime

Location: Waterloo, kitchener, guelph, mississauga, north east toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by merpol-sniper View Post
I got the same PTT as above, well after some soldering and some chopping mine now operates two radios.
Don't suppose you have a tutorial on how you did it?
THX

Quote:
Be safe not just with yourself, but those you play with. If you are reckless with other peoples safety then you will leave.
Zeonprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 16:42   #4
coach
aka coachster

Interested as well.

Also would like confirmation it will operate 2 radios and a phone
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 17:14   #5
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Why not wait for the Z-tac one to come out?
It seems a bit more likely to work out of the box and have some more functionality of the real one based on its release note and early prototype pics.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 17:30   #6
zone 69

lets see the top of the button board.

Would your phone work if the Siri and answer/hangup/music on my iPhone was keyed up at the same time? you could do a rewire job to the buttons and have A for A radio B for B radio and mode for the phone Siri and answer/hangup/music .

So if the Siri,answer.hangup,music can be keyed up on the same button take the positive wire from B and connect it to the positive wire of mode and take one of the positive wires of A and connect it to positive of B where you took the first wire off. I think I got.

Last edited by zone 69; April 9th, 2013 at 19:12..
zone 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 17:46   #7
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajr122 View Post
Why not wait for the Z-tac one to come out?
It seems a bit more likely to work out of the box and have some more functionality of the real one based on its release note and early prototype pics.
When is the release expected?
Old April 9th, 2013, 19:31   #8
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

I am not sure :/
Hopefully soon, I want one.
Old April 9th, 2013, 19:38   #9
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
I am not sure :/
Hopefully soon, I want one.
At least I didn't throw money on a real one...yet
Old April 9th, 2013, 20:00   #10
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
At least I didn't throw money on a real one...yet
That is definitely an option i am looking at as well, or a quiet pro.

I have real sordins, an XTS2500, and a real U94 PTT, why not a real dual comm PTT.
Old April 9th, 2013, 22:06   #11
lupo

Quote:
That is definitely an option i am looking at as well, or a quiet pro.

I have real sordins, an XTS2500, and a real U94 PTT, why not a real dual comm PTT.
I was thinking the same thing until I saw the $1250 usd price tag.
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:38   #12
Zeonprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
When is the release expected?
My thoughts as well

Quote:
Be safe not just with yourself, but those you play with. If you are reckless with other peoples safety then you will leave.
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:49   #13
merpol-sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeonprime View Post
Don't suppose you have a tutorial on how you did it?
THX

Step one
cut the two green wires as close to the board where they join the two other switches, not the mode botton end

Step Two
Trace the red and yellow wires coming from the middle "phone" cable and snip them where they join the board, careful not to snip other wires, snip the white cable coming out of the middle cable as close to the middle cable as possible (you need a bit of length on this for the near future). Snip the black wire at the board also.

step three
remove the middle cable

Step four

snip the white wire coming out of the cable closet to the mode botton (this need to be done where it joins the micro switch as close to the board as possible.)

Step Five

Now stripp back the ends of the cut green wires and the cut white wires, joining one white to one green , so each green wire now has a white attached.

This now turns the mode botton into a ptt for one of the radio cables.
merpol-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 10:46   #14
Zeonprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpol-sniper View Post
Step one
cut the two green wires as close to the board where they join the two other switches, not the mode botton end

Step Two
Trace the red and yellow wires coming from the middle "phone" cable and snip them where they join the board, careful not to snip other wires, snip the white cable coming out of the middle cable as close to the middle cable as possible (you need a bit of length on this for the near future). Snip the black wire at the board also.

step three
remove the middle cable

Step four

snip the white wire coming out of the cable closet to the mode botton (this need to be done where it joins the micro switch as close to the board as possible.)

Step Five

Now stripp back the ends of the cut green wires and the cut white wires, joining one white to one green , so each green wire now has a white attached.

This now turns the mode botton into a ptt for one of the radio cables.
Awesome! Thanks!!

Quote:
Old April 13th, 2013, 20:38   #15
EagleDriver

When I get time I will mod mine like above and take photos.

In the mean time, mine now activates the phone on ALL buttons! For a while it worked fine on the "A" button. But now, when I press the "A" button to transmit on the radio, it transmits fine but then about 5 seconds into the transmission it activates the cell phone if one is plugged in.
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews