:

Airsoft Media

Old November 24th, 2010, 16:17   #16
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenooblord View Post
the shitty paint on the slide ruins the look
It's not paint, it's a powdercoated finish. The stippling you see on it is most likely due to the rough casting of the base product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenooblord View Post
should be anodized, the finish on paint is too uneven and glossy
Why "should" it be anodized? Anodization can only be done on certain types of metals. I'd like to see you anodize die cast zinc-aluminum... and then I'd like to see your face as you pull out what's left of the slide from the acid bath.

The overall finish looked even when it was in my hands - any spots you're seeing are from grease/oil causing differential reflections from photo lighting.

As for glossiness, it's a flatter semi-gloss finish. It's definitely not flat, but it's not a polished high gloss, either. Direct camera flashes will make it appear worse than it actually is. This will add to the "unevenness" of the finish. But in reality, it is very even, and closer to matte than it is to semi-gloss. Blame the crappy camera that took the photo. LOL

Honestly, I wished I'd had more time with this finished product. I had full intentions of doing a proper photo shoot of this pistol to show it in all its glory, but Derek had such a boner for the pistol that he absolutely had to have it shipped out the moment I finished firing the last BB out of it to confirm it worked. Photoshoot was skipped. Maybe next time I won't tell him when it's done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
How are the Hurricane kits anyway? How do them compare to CNCed PGC/Nova kits?
You need to put in A LOT of work to get them installed right. Lots of moulding flash is present throughout, and so a lot of clean up work is required before you can even consider putting parts in. Fitment isn't direct drop-in either, as some parts do need to be modded to get good slide movement. I opted to modify the blowback unit in this case, as it was too difficult to access areas in the slide to properly modify it.

Some problems were caused by miscalculation (or lack of calculation thereof) of the thickness of the powder coating, and these areas had to be taken down for fitment.

Barrel to slide and slide to frame fitment are fairly good, although not the best.

Overall, you get a lot for your money. As far as a replica goes, they're pretty good. The finish definitely isn't as nice as a CNC'ed product, but you do get big bang for your buck. Lots of unique components included with the Hurricane kits, and they definitely have models that you can't get anywhere else (like the Kimber SIS and this Covert Custom II.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Dante View Post
Are those the silverback laser grips? How well do they work?
They're grips that actually come with the kit. I wouldn't be surprised if Silverback (or whoever their factory is) was the OEM.

In my opinion, they work great. I couldn't stop molesting the build before it was finished, just so I could activate the laser. It's making me want to install a set in to one of my own 1911's!

Last edited by ILLusion; November 24th, 2010 at 16:22..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 16:38   #17
fester

Send a message via MSN to fester
very niiiiiiiiiiiice!
Old November 24th, 2010, 17:16   #18
spartan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
Send it to me, I'll work some magic and re-shoot it to get rid of the orange peel.

Just kidding, as I was waiting for my 226 (an epic tale for sure) I was tempted many times change lanes and tell Bryan to just make me Kimber.

I think an ILLusion thread in here might be nice.
I'm currently going through this dilemma right now. Hi capa custom or Kimber covert II custom? hm.....
spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 17:21   #19
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Yeah, looks amazing!!
IK way to go!

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 17:37   #20
RacingManiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
... and they definitely have models that you can't get anywhere else (like the Kimber SIS and this Covert Custom II.)
You mean in TM....

SIS at least, can be had in WA flavor....I am being slowly drawn into WA side, which is not good news for my wallet...

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 18:51   #21
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
You mean in TM....

SIS at least, can be had in WA flavor....I am being slowly drawn into WA side, which is not good news for my wallet...
Yes, I mean on the TM platform. I'm aware of the availability of these for WA, but I have my own reasons to stay away from WA. ... the wallet issue being one of them, and you know how bad I am with TM's as it is... LOL
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media