Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Airsoft for IPSC training?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old January 11th, 2014, 22:02   #1
Pocketsx

Airsoft for IPSC training?

Not sure if this should of been posted in the newb section. Sorry if it should of.

I shoot IPSC and was thinking of using airsoft as a training aid since I can shoot it at my house. I just wasn't sure how close to the real thing airsoft guns are. Weight, trigger pull etc. Do they make models similar to race guns? STI's, Tangfollio etc?

Anyone else train with them?
Pocketsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 22:24   #3
Pocketsx

I seen that thread and wasn't sure if they were airsoft or restricted because every airsoft store web site I've been on only had some Berettas, CZ, 1911 etc. Never seen any of the guns I asked about.
Pocketsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 22:34   #4
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

You can get a wide array of STI and Infinity builds.
Whether or not they're useful for practice is debatable. Basic skills, drills, and technical stuff like stance, yes, there's probably some applicable crossover. You're still going to need a hell of a lot of range time though. Training with airsoft might help, but it sure as hell can't replace working with an actual gun.
They really only look similar, that's it.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 22:35   #5
GBBR
Banned

Send a message via MSN to GBBR Send a message via Skype™ to GBBR
The guns you are talking about are built from the ground up, if you have instant messaging I can tell you more
GBBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 22:36   #6
Kos-Mos

2011-style handguns/akak raceguns are know in airsoft world as Hicapa

The "5.1 Hicapa" is basically a stock "STI 2011 Tactical 5.0", with regular slide and frame.

There are however almost any variation of any custom compensated pistol avalaible.
And CMORE/optics mounts. And regular sights. And extended whatever you want. And cocking levers...

In fact, there are some IPSC-style shooting sessions in Ontario and Quebec. Not sure about the other provinces however.

The airsoft counterpart to IPSC is called CAPS.
It stands for Canadian Airsoft Practical Shooting.

I am working on a full-framed 7", split-slide, long-barrel with an integral compensator setup myself.
Not done yet, but it give you an idea of how wild you can go:

Last edited by Kos-Mos; January 11th, 2014 at 22:44..
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:17   #7
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

I don't usually go for raceguns myself, but that build is classy as hell, Kos.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 17:36   #8
Dino7777

Airsoft IPSC training is hugely helpful if you want to get better quick at real steel IPSC. Potentially means you can double or triple your high quality training time. Once you have the gear it cost next to nothing to run. The lack of noise and strong recoil actually makes it easier for me to focus on the technique.

Old news, but for any IPSC airsoft benefit doubters out there. Google "steel challenge Tatsuya Sakai" and have a read. He won the steel challenge in 2004 against many pro shooters. I believe he had only trained with airsoft up until a month or so before the challenge.

Here's my upgraded hi-capa which fits my normal rig (after holster insert change). The recoil is obviously not at all like the real thing, but due to the upgrades there is still enough recoil to bounce you off target.

Most coming from a real steel background would probably find the associated costs involved with a good custom airsoft IPSC pistol a bit of a stretch for a plastic ball shooter... It was for me anyway, but I am very happy I finally went for it. It has helped me a lot, and very fun to use when you have a moment over at home.

I have downsized IPSC (or similar) targets from here:

http://shop.tactrainers.com/

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/...ped1rotcqt6a04 (BAM targets)

The products from both companies are really good and adds massively to the fun factor of training for me. May seem expensive, but they do make any airsoft gun you have way more fun.

I can also recommend the Shotmaxx timer from DAA which works really well for airsoft as well (it has an airsoft setting for sound pickup, or you can use the built in accelerometer).

Last edited by Dino7777; February 18th, 2014 at 04:22..
Dino7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 13:21   #9
N_Force

check out PSC practical shooting corner if you are in Toronto area

N_Force is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion