Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Best performance/value AEG inner barrel

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old September 29th, 2015, 20:45   #16
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

They perform the same until fouling sets in. Longer barrels foul faster.
A 650mm barrel will shoot just as well as a 10" barrel until fouling sets in and it can take as few as 100 rounds.
You look at some of the top performing guns out there owned by some of the best techs, and they tend to be under 14" barrels shooting under 2ft groupings at 300ft

If barrel length had an actual effect on accuracy, you'd see a gradual but obvious declination in accuracy going longer or shorter.
But the fact is they perform just as well in the first few shots, but the shorter barrels are more efficient and more effective over a larger number of shots.
If the longer barrels were noticeably better, more guntechs would be running 20" barrels. But the fact is you can get the same performance in a shorter barrel with incidentally less fouling over shots fired.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 21:23   #17
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

There's no question that you may or may not see some performance or FPS changes with barrel length, which can change due to platform or whatever. Here's the basic science though: assuming your hop-up is doing what it's supposed to or as good as it can be, from there once your BB stabilizes in the barrel, more barrel doesn't really do you any favors. Longer barrels CAN lower your FPS slightly, foul easier because of moisture or debris, or who knows. Doing side by sides of the same platforms we'd find extremely slight variations in distance and grouping, like a few feet and inches, but then another variation of the same gun would out perform the others consistently with either a longer or shorter barrel. Not by much mind you, but often it makes you see that the barrel isn't the issue, assuming the quality is good and the rest of your gun is good.
Old September 30th, 2015, 00:01   #18
ThunderCactus

I mean very specifically, changing ONLY the barrel length in a setup:
both promtheus barrels
both the exact same hop chamber and rubber
both have the exact same muzzle energy on the same weight of BB
both will perform the same until the longer barrel fouls first

Longer barrels use lower air pressure applied over longer time. Because of the lower pressure, it takes more length for that BB to stabilize. But ultimately, the BB leaves both barrels in a straight line.
One of the things that makes short barrels better IS the higher air pressure, as it evacuates the barrel faster, leading to less fouling.

The ONLY scientific influence that leads to the idea that longer barrels are more accurate, comes from real firearms. But real firearms operate on some VERY different principles when it comes to achieving range and accuracy.
The fact of the matter is that a short little 3" pistol barrel is enough barrel length for a BB to stabilize to the point where it can be extremely accurate at it's maximum range. My won USP compact after getting Rhopped was shooting 6" groupings or less at 160ft. I'll be damned if I could ever get that kind of accuracy without bracing the pistol against something, but the pistol was damn accurate lol
The reason why that's not a very common fact, is because your own personal shooting skill has far more impact on the accuracy of a pistol than the pistol itself.
And unfortunately, the tight groupings don't become really obvious until you're engaging well into the range of the hopup. In the IPSC courses, you're generally not shooting far enough to really need hopup. So it's not a really good shining example of how accurate a pistol can be.
Old September 30th, 2015, 09:56   #19
coolair

So I just got my Ares G36, stocm is a 247mm inner barrel..
Was thinking of putting a silencer in the gun and replace the barrel with a longer one...

Any opinions

Thanks

Last edited by coolair; September 30th, 2015 at 10:02..
coolair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 10:05   #20
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Prometheus EG barrels have been in extremely short supply. I'm not sure what has been happening but if you want one you should buy it immediately.
What length inner barrels do you run in your personal guns? Prometheus or Lonex?
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 12:00   #21
Wrath144
formerly steyr

Lonex barrels are awful. They come pre-fouled.
Old September 30th, 2015, 12:01   #22
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

prommy egs.. in everything I own.

If for whatever reason I can't get one, madbull stainless steel is better than brass, nowhere near the quality of the prommy, but half the price.

And I would take brass over any aluminum barrel, coated or not.

Last edited by lurkingknight; September 30th, 2015 at 12:04..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 17:23   #23
ThunderCactus

There's really nothing wrong with brass, provided you clean it regularly so it doesn't corrode.
The accuracy on them can be phenomenal, but they get a bad rep just because all stock barrels are brass and tend to be of poor quality.
Old September 30th, 2015, 19:12   #24
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

that's why I mentioned it. Sometimes you'll luck out and get a very straight one.
Old September 30th, 2015, 23:15   #25
SuperHog

I talked to my friend today which claims to be a gun doc, and he told me that all you need is a 5" barrel. There is a conspiracy in the industry to sell you carbine length guns and also 500mm sniper rifles. All you need is a shorty AEG or shorty VSR10 with a 10" barrel. Actually you don't even need a rifle, just a pistol.

By the way, his gun is a shorty G&P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gp-airsoft-shorty.jpg (49.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by SuperHog; September 30th, 2015 at 23:27..
Old September 30th, 2015, 23:51   #26
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I wouldn't say it's conspiracy... airsoft is full of snake oil products and shady claims of performance through shaky engineering and lack of understanding of the science behind it all.

There's money to be made off fools that hang on your every word.

That's being said, if you want replicas, there's certain lengths of barrels you need to create those replicas. Variety is the spice of life, so having guns of varying lengths makes it more interesting.. functionally it may not have as much use, but it's airsoft.. have fun and buy what you want that will make you look good in photos. lol.
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:25   #27
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Airsoft is definately full of snake oil, but to be fair, not that long ago a lot of the physics were speculation and the other common tech wasn't up to snuff. So it would've been more likely to see a greater effect changing something like barrel length.

So, don't buy right into any barrel of any length, working on any gun without consequence yet. There are other factors to consider. That being said; if your gun is tuned and hopped properly, dropping from a carbine length to CQB shouldn't hurt anything.
Old October 1st, 2015, 08:32   #28
SuperHog

Well there are numerous articles on the internet stating that 400mm to 450mm inner barrel length is the sweet spot for airsoft barrels.
Old October 1st, 2015, 08:51   #29
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Prometheus EG barrels have been in extremely short supply. I'm not sure what has been happening but if you want one you should buy it immediately.
Are your Prometheus barrels genuine?

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/to...ls/?p=18644696
Old October 1st, 2015, 08:57   #30
EOD Steve

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=157085

The Steve has spoken.
EOD Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications