Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Fake/Training plates for plate carriers

:

Gear Discussion

Old March 4th, 2014, 15:00   #1
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
Fake/Training plates for plate carriers

Now I know this has been discussed before, however I can't find the thread I want to Necro using my search function so I figured I would start a fresh discussion. If someone want to point me to said thread(s) and toss this to the trash bin, by all means I would welcome it as to not clutter the forum.

I just acquired a brand new puurdy Multiglam Mayflower APC. It is a S/M with medium cummerbund; the max size plate this can accept is a 10x12". Now, I own a TMC JPC with TMC hollow plastic fake "medium" ESAPI plates; being 10x13" they are not, to my knowledge, true medium sized plates. They are slightly taller and thicker than the real deal. This said, they barely fit in my APC and when put-on and strapped-up it is much too tight, and the first bend I make deflates/crushes the hollow plates.

Details of my angst aside, I am looking for options outside of dropping $200 on purchasing/shipping some WarriorTrail or TeamWendy training plates to my front door as for $200 there are many other things that seem more important to buy (here come the "The cost of being legit is high" comments).

Cardboard creaks, the hollow plastic ones are a no-go, and from what I hear the foam fake plates people make or the ones you can buy are rubbish.

Is there another method of making fake plates I haven't come across? Are there better options available for purchase? Hoping the ASC wizards can help a brother out.

Thanks,

Zack
Old March 4th, 2014, 15:11   #2
redneck12

Have you considered filling your hollow fake plates with sand or plaster. Or Heros sells real plates I'm sure if you get Viper yapping about pink guns lol you could take some measurements and make your own from scrap steel.
redneck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 15:20   #3
ericwilliam

I've heard good things about these

http://www.toysoldier.com.hk/product...ls.php?pid=640
Old March 4th, 2014, 15:28   #4
hot_shot under fire
AKA M700murder

EVA Foam mats from Canadian Tire/Wal-Mart. Dirt-cheap, very comfortable, and rigid. Still flexible but they are by no means garbage. I run them in all of my plate carriers and love it!
hot_shot under fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 15:44   #5
MADDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack The Ripper View Post
Now I know this has been discussed before, however I can't find the thread I want to Necro using my search function so I figured I would start a fresh discussion. If someone want to point me to said thread(s) and toss this to the trash bin, by all means I would welcome it as to not clutter the forum.

I just acquired a brand new puurdy Multiglam Mayflower APC. It is a S/M with medium cummerbund; the max size plate this can accept is a 10x12". Now, I own a TMC JPC with TMC hollow plastic fake "medium" ESAPI plates; being 10x13" they are not, to my knowledge, true medium sized plates. They are slightly taller and thicker than the real deal. This said, they barely fit in my APC and when put-on and strapped-up it is much too tight, and the first bend I make deflates/crushes the hollow plates.

Details of my angst aside, I am looking for options outside of dropping $200 on purchasing/shipping some WarriorTrail or TeamWendy training plates to my front door as for $200 there are many other things that seem more important to buy (here come the "The cost of being legit is high" comments).

Cardboard creaks, the hollow plastic ones are a no-go, and from what I hear the foam fake plates people make or the ones you can buy are rubbish.

Is there another method of making fake plates I haven't come across? Are there better options available for purchase? Hoping the ASC wizards can help a brother out.

Thanks,

Zack

Fill the hollow plates with spray foam insulation for sealing door and window frames from a home reno store and that will keep them from crushing, just do not overfill or they will break, unless you want the added weight of plaster etc.

Cry Havoc, Let slip the Dogs of War!

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Last edited by MADDOG; March 5th, 2014 at 12:42..
MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 15:45   #6
Fallen
formerly Qc_Sarado

In what section you found the EVA foam at walmart/canadiantire?
Old March 4th, 2014, 15:46   #7
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I used corrugated plastic presentation board.. 3 sheets laminated perpendicular for strength... and then wrapped it in that anti slip mat you put in drawers... super light weight, lots of airways for airflow and the antislip stuff prevents it from moving around much, on top of creating space between me and the plate/vest for additional airflow.
Old March 4th, 2014, 15:52   #8
Bakasaur
Shit Geyser

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck12 View Post
Have you considered filling your hollow fake plates with sand or plaster. Or Heros sells real plates I'm sure if you get Viper yapping about pink guns lol you could take some measurements and make your own from scrap steel.
If he got Viper yapping about anything he wouldn't walk out of there with money in his wallet
Bakasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 16:02   #9
FirestormX

Is Viper even capable of stopping yapping, for long enough periods that you feel the need to start him again? :P

I run cardboard (folded into three layers) in my plate carriers for rigidity, and I don't find they creak. I run a little 6094, so it rides high like a Mayflower, and I find that it's rigid enough to not bend or creak when I bend over.
I fold the cardboard in on itself for a little added strength - so instead of making a Z shape with the folds, it forms more of a triangle shape...If that makes sense?
FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 16:06   #10
MMatersk

Zack. I fit those same plates into my LBT 6094a, took a little TLC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bad-K...8&ref=bookmark
MMatersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 17:07   #11
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Team Wendy Training Plates.
http://store.teamwendy.com/esapi-non...raining-plate/

Buy it once, never look back.

EDIT: Whoops. Re-read your entire post. The cost of being legit is high. :P
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 17:44   #12
fuhrmanz
previously Bunker_King

Send a message via MSN to fuhrmanz
Made some with cardboard too. 3 layers also. Even when I put all my weight on the board with my back on the floor, it doesn't do anything. I needed to shape it with my knee. And a lot of gorilla tape.

It doesn't fold even with a CA M249 hanging in front.
fuhrmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 17:54   #13
cav.

I bought some dummy plates at Airsoft Depot and filled it with plaster. Very heavy though Pretty sure its more than 5lb a plate. The only downside I had with that is that I have to redo one of the plates as the plaster didn't fully dry, I might consider the foam soon.
Old March 4th, 2014, 19:00   #14
MultipleParadox

Am in the same boat

Been searching aggressively for a few weeks and couldn't find anything really satisfying or actually affordable

Team Wendy seems to be the only sensible option but it comes to more than 250-280$ with sipping for a set... :/

I think I'm going to try and find some thick rubber mats (the aggregated recycled tire kind, or similar) and try this out. I think it's going to be stiff enough

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 19:56   #15
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Filled mine with plaster.

I posted a "How to" with pictures here.

Unless shelling money for trainning plate, my mod is the best I've seen to date.

You are still stuck with the original dimentions, wich are based on the old SAPI and not the new ESAPI that most recent PC use.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion