Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Z-Tactical Comtac-II sound dampening

:

Gear Discussion

Old May 31st, 2012, 01:12   #1
Wantabe_Warrior

Z-Tactical Comtac-II sound dampening

I'm looking at a set of Z-tactical Comtac-II for airsoft and possible range time. So , I was wondering if anybody knows, or can find out, how much the the Comtacs can actually dampen a rifle's crack in my ear.

I have a friend how says they work for the range and that's with at least a 12 gauge shotgun (2 3/4 inch), and an unrestricted CZ 858 (7.62x39mm). But my dad works at a safety shop, and he's a little sketchy about them. I don't want to risk my hearing, so I'm looking for some help and info.

I already have proper hearing protection (SureFire Sonic Defender, they're SOO nice!), so don't worry about that.

perks:
Chairsofter
Fortunate Son
Wantabe_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:42   #2
peacekeeper
formerly bazza

when in doubt , use your head . Use real ear defenders or earplugs.
peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:53   #3
pugs144

Would you trust your eyesight to cloned eyepro?

Would you trust your hearing to cloned earpro?
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 16:17   #4
Ninja_En_Short

Send a message via MSN to Ninja_En_Short
Well let's be objective : you may try them outdoor (not indoor just in case because of the amplification), there is very little chance your hearing is going to be damaged from a few shots with these gun if they do not work. It's not like you're staying right next to a .50 BMG.
I went more deaf after an evening in a club than after firing a mag with the 417 (7.62 NATO and higher bang)

Gun doc in Montreal on AEG, GBB, GBBR and Bolt rifle (gaz and spring)
Heavy custom builder (including painting)

Ninja_En_Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 17:26   #5
Wantabe_Warrior

I've burnt through over 200 rounds of 7.62x39mm in 3 hours, it might be different than 5 or 20 rounds in 60 seconds(?).

Please, I'm asking for hard facts. IE: somebody takes a head mold with cut outs for a sound-meter down to the range, sets up the mold and meter, and test how loud shots sound with and without the head set. And just for good measure do it with some rated, real earpro like North, or Browning branded headsets. Please, and Thank you.

perks:
Chairsofter
Fortunate Son
Old May 31st, 2012, 18:31   #6
Oborous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantabe_Warrior View Post
I've burnt through over 200 rounds of 7.62x39mm in 3 hours, it might be different than 5 or 20 rounds in 60 seconds(?).

Please, I'm asking for hard facts. IE: somebody takes a head mold with cut outs for a sound-meter down to the range, sets up the mold and meter, and test how loud shots sound with and without the head set. And just for good measure do it with some rated, real earpro like North, or Browning branded headsets. Please, and Thank you.
How about using real Peltors on one ear and the clones on the other? If that's sufficient testing then the clones have proven insufficient in the past; I did not use an SPL meter. It was a .338 mag, not lapua... remington or norma? So definitely a boomer; I was not the shooter, I was standing to the side and back.

Basically, like others have mentioned, don't trust clones when you actually need protection. And hearing loss is cumulative due to discrete events, firing sixty rounds fast or slow still damages your hearing. There are enough fast movers out there that I generally do double protection these days and just turn up the peltors to compensate for the surefires for normal talking.
Oborous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 20:24   #7
EagleDriver

The clone Comtacs only have passive noise protection offered by the earmuffs. They have an external microphone to pickup ambient noise, but no high decibel cut-off capability as with the real Comtac headsets.
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 19:24   #8
Amoki

I don't get it, you want to shoot real guns but don't want to afford real protection?
Amoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 23:18   #9
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

I'd leave the repro shit for airsoft.

I would never use fake safety devices.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:50   #10
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

I'm glad this thread is here!
I've recently been looking into good range worthy ear pro, and decided that I'd benefit from the features and quality of Peltors (real ones).
Seeing as I also play Airsoft, I've been figuring that I may as well go ahead and buy Comtac IIs or IIIs and thereby get more overall use out of my purchase. I also play with sound devices from time to time so there's some real utility in using them for airsoft beyond merely being an opportunistic geardo.
I already tend to run lots of crap on my head so I'm okay with the heat retention problems, and am prepared to deal with it.

Some questions pop into view though; Boom mics are sold separately? Is it as simple as getting a boom mic, and patching into a radio via PTT? Can I use it with my crappy poor-ass talkabout until I get a better radio?

I've also heard that these things are controlled via ITAR, making ordering from the US a dumb idea. Is this true?
Few Canadian retailers seem to stock these, and won't explicitly say "Dumb Civvies need not apply, go buy replicas you fruitcake." but their websites have the look of places that think I shouldn't have them. Am I right or am I (and my source of info) just misinformed?

I'll gladly take any advice I can get, including Comtac alternatives/ competitors which may serve me better.

To cap my desires, I would like to:
-Save my ear damage for Metal shows
-Be able to carry on a conversation while lobbing slugs with a friend or two
-Patch into a comms system on the low end initially and the high(er) end later
-Avoid breaking Canadian law and international trade agreements

I am willing to pay, I just need to find out who in Canada will take my money.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:01   #11
bobotea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffradical View Post
I'm glad this thread is here!
I've recently been looking into good range worthy ear pro, and decided that I'd benefit from the features and quality of Peltors (real ones).
Seeing as I also play Airsoft, I've been figuring that I may as well go ahead and buy Comtac IIs or IIIs and thereby get more overall use out of my purchase. I also play with sound devices from time to time so there's some real utility in using them for airsoft beyond merely being an opportunistic geardo.
I already tend to run lots of crap on my head so I'm okay with the heat retention problems, and am prepared to deal with it.

Some questions pop into view though; Boom mics are sold separately? Is it as simple as getting a boom mic, and patching into a radio via PTT? Can I use it with my crappy poor-ass talkabout until I get a better radio?

I've also heard that these things are controlled via ITAR, making ordering from the US a dumb idea. Is this true?
Few Canadian retailers seem to stock these, and won't explicitly say "Dumb Civvies need not apply, go buy replicas you fruitcake." but their websites have the look of places that think I shouldn't have them. Am I right or am I (and my source of info) just misinformed?

I'll gladly take any advice I can get, including Comtac alternatives/ competitors which may serve me better.

To cap my desires, I would like to:
-Save my ear damage for Metal shows
-Be able to carry on a conversation while lobbing slugs with a friend or two
-Patch into a comms system on the low end initially and the high(er) end later
-Avoid breaking Canadian law and international trade agreements

I am willing to pay, I just need to find out who in Canada will take my money.
First off try SRS tactical (this is where i bought my ear pro and they give a great deal and also sell most headset accessories to Canadians).
http://www.srstactical.ca

If you are looking for ear-pro that has communication capabilities go with TCI Liberators, MSA Sordins (one's with a mic/cannot add mic later like peltors), and or Peltor Comtac's -these are all great choices. I dont know too much about PTT's but i know the Comtac II's can be used with a plethora of pin types (see chart: http://www.srstactical.ca/communicat...aptor/fl5.html). If you dont want to shell out the $600 for the Comtac's with mic you can buy it at a later time (http://www.srstactical.ca/communicat...hone/mt31.html).

If you are wondering about the sound quality of MSA vs. Peltor vs. TCI they are all good to go and i think you will be pleased with any one.

Finally gel ear muffs are a must!
bobotea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 23:58   #12
Wantabe_Warrior

the lack of active cut-off for high dbs says NO FAKES to me. Sorry for wasting everybody's time and making noobish/stupid comments. And thanks bobotea for direction to SRS.

perks:
Chairsofter
Fortunate Son
Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:53   #13
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Hey now, don't get down on your questions. We learned exactly what we needed to from this thread and so will anyone else who reads it!
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 15:40   #14
ferch

Hi,

Z-tactical clones will cutoff external sound when level gets high. The cutoff is in fact set very low. The problem is, that noise protection is very low as well.

Out of curiosity I've tried Z-tac sordins (internally identical to comtacs) on the range. Although they do dampen the noise a bit, I would not wear them as a hearing protection. Maybe you could try stuffing some foam into them, and replacing ear cushions with the real ones (I think they fit, or are pretty close) to improve them. ...you can keep doing this until gunfire noise at the range gets down to the level comparable to the real hearing protection.

Anyway, I ended up wearing my provided sordins at the range, and Z-tacs for airsoft.

Cheers,
Ferch
ferch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 17:17   #15
EagleDriver

No, they do not. I have real Comtacs and the Z tactical Comtacs. The Z tactical ones do not electronically cut off sound at all. The real Comtacs will "click" to dampen a loud sound, but the Z tactical ones do not.
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion