Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Elitists -Newbies, please read

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 17th, 2010, 00:15   #106
ScooterVauto

wow Heck of a thread, from Info to name calling..
base idea of cost and kit needed to play.
how about a sniper load out. assuming He makes his own Gillies..

(FYI being a member of an on line sniper group that has been called elitiest once or twice, its just a word, it means as much as you let it.)
If your game play requires a weapon, you spend what you believe will get you there, How ever if you take the time to learn, you might find a weapon that does the job fo a couple hundred bucks. If you are going to dump 20 000 rounds in a day, spend a least $1000.00 on a weapon, mags and battery or
find a used one from a reputable member.

if your going to simply toss a couple 1000 bbs around, you might not need to spend 1000.00, but if you spend that now, its likely the 1000.00 weapon will be able to change as you style changes..
Its just like paint ball, spend 250 on a prolite and $300 bucks worth of modifcations (Springs, valve body, 7 port vented Bolt and some special barrel) and you just bought a 550$ marker that will last for years or you go drop 500$ on a lightly used Angel and play for years throwing paint out of it making the cheapsters cry when you get them from 30 yards out of their range.

Now, you could also mod up the angel and its a whole new ball game again..
Its a savage circle.. but it is what it is..
ScooterVauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:35   #107
RedNine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Some newbies come here and say they only want to invest $150 in a gun.. and that they only want to do it to “try out the sport” in case they don't like it, or a host of other excuses.
Well being a newb to the sport myself, I was a little leary about spending $300 to $1000 on a gun to just try the sport. However fortunately for me I live in an area where there are quite a few airsofters out there. And like many people not everybody has a weekend off or what have you. So for the entire event a buddy of mine lent me a gun, molly vest etc. So really to "TRY" the sport cost me nothing but $5 bucks for the field fee. I got to try out a variety of different guns, from others at the event.
A day out, and a newb like me will know whether or not they love the sport or not. So I agree pissing away $150 or even $30 bucks for pos walmart or canadian tire gun would be stupid.
Two weeks later and I just got my first aeg, and HAPPILY spent $600. and another 200 or so on some start up gear. sadly thats all I could by at the moment.
Well I wouldn't call someone an elitist because they want to drop $2000 on equipment, practical maybe. I'd reserve an elitist comment for someone who goes out of there way to have the exact load out as a specific military or whatever unit. Or those who only do mil-sim, maybe.
RedNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 14:21   #108
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

The best way to try out airsoft is to contact a local group and rent.

Period.

You can try before you invest, you just have to make the effort to seek out players.

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 14:28   #109
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by surebet View Post
The best way to try out airsoft is to contact a local group and rent.

Period.

You can try before you invest, you just have to make the effort to seek out players.
+1000

Ask around to borrow or rent a real AEG. You will not get the full feel of the hobby if you buy a $30 gun from walmart and try to compete.

Edit: While the guns probably the most interesting piece of kit they only come third in importance.

1. Good eye protection that you can count on and is comfortable. You only have one pair of eyes, baby them.
2. Good comfortable boot. Take care of your feet so that they will take care of you.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif

Last edited by Eeyore; July 17th, 2010 at 14:31..
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 14:31   #110
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNine View Post
Well I wouldn't call someone an elitist because they want to drop $2000 on equipment, practical maybe. I'd reserve an elitist comment for someone who goes out of there way to have the exact load out as a specific military or whatever unit. Or those who only do mil-sim, maybe.
Even then the elitist term wouldn't apply in my opinion. Now if they were to use the fact that they have exactly replicated a military unit as a way to ridicule someone or make themselves feel like a better player for it then thats when elitist should be thrown around. Being an elitist is not defined by the gear you wear, the guns you shoot or whatever. Its an attitude, a state of mind. A false sense of superiority over issues that have no bearing on how "good" a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 14:50   #111
moz_boz
hates all f'n Americans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
This is a long read...

Amen Brother!

I may only be AV'ed for a few months...but I have done a couple years worth of research before this.
Old July 19th, 2010, 20:49   #112
ScooterVauto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw View Post
Its an attitude, a state of mind. A false sense of superiority over issues that have no bearing on how "good" a player.
BRAVO.. encore even.
well said Sir
Lt. Alexander Washington -(Red Tails 1944) Ret.
Old July 30th, 2010, 17:08   #113
slad3d

Give it a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
1. Good eye protection that you can count on and is comfortable. You only have one pair of eyes, baby them.
2. Good comfortable boot. Take care of your feet so that they will take care of you.
Awesome advices!
This is me, a noob calling to fellow noobs out there
I tried my first airsoft game yesterday with a rental m4 and a few others that players brought to the game.
Now i understand how the game goes, rules and gun operation. I know what gun i want and how to get them. It all started by coming out for an event.

Definitely recommend any new player to try out a game first before wasting a a bunch of money on a gun then find out you dont like the sport.
Good eye protection is a must, definitely.

"ECOairsoft.com"
slad3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 19:48   #114
ScooterVauto

hydration, hydration, HYDRATION...
WATER is your friend...
4th on the list of must have for the Newbie.
Lt. Alexander Washington -(Red Tails 1944) Ret.
Old August 5th, 2010, 19:19   #115
GunslingerQc

I must say that your opinion is good, but it's not absolute verity.

Airsoft is a hobby. You can have fun withouth a 600+ $ gun.
U can have fun without a tactical vest, helmet, nametag, and even camo.
We are a social airsoft league At each game, we choose two picks. Never the same people.Then, we split team. If its not even, some players change team, so everyone is habing fun.

Buying a cheap gun is a good way, in my opinion, to get used to the game. To know what are the dynamics. To know what is your style of play. I see many new players buy sniper (Gonna sniper them all, sneaky!). Then they realise sniping is not for everyone.

Not everyone have a lot of money. Some people dont work, are at school, have kids, etc. Its just a question of priority. In the group where i play, we all began with Canadian Tire gun, or cheap AEG. We found a nice terrain (old mine), and with time, players buy new guns. With the old guns, there is new player to try them!

So, for playing airsoft and having fun, u need a AEG, glasses or googles, and guts. Thats all.

Tactical vest wont help u shoot at others. Even if its a crappy Pulse R76, from Canadian Tire, if u are well placed, know to shoot, u can be good and having fun.
GunslingerQc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:39   #116
JamesTB14
* 14 years old *

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunslingerQc View Post
Tactical vest wont help u shoot at others. Even if its a crappy Pulse R76, from Canadian Tire, if u are well placed, know to shoot, u can be good and having fun.
Now, I have that 'crappy R76'. I did buy it from Canadian Tire, too. But, I'm 14, it's my first gun, and I like it. I'm not here to argue with you about it, just figured I'd agree with you that, really, no matter what gun you have, if you can shoot, you can win.

Also, OP, that was an awesome rant.

And, I have a budget of exactly $20 most of the year, so my R76 is my only one.

Unrelated note: Are there ANY non-age restricted games near Toronto?? Seriously.
JamesTB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:41   #117
Strelok

Not for 14 year olds.
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 02:42   #118
Diabolic Tyrant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTB14 View Post
Now, I have that 'crappy R76'. I did buy it from Canadian Tire, too. But, I'm 14, it's my first gun, and I like it. I'm not here to argue with you about it, just figured I'd agree with you that, really, no matter what gun you have, if you can shoot, you can win.

Also, OP, that was an awesome rant.

And, I have a budget of exactly $20 most of the year, so my R76 is my only one.

Unrelated note: Are there ANY non-age restricted games near Toronto?? Seriously.
No. You can however attend games and watch and maybe play at hosts discretion but dont expect to be able to compete with that R76, and at 14... Short answer no, just no. You will have to wait till your about 16 till you can start really getting involved and playing.
Diabolic Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 16:50   #119
JamesTB14
* 14 years old *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolic Tyrant View Post
No. You can however attend games and watch and maybe play at hosts discretion but dont expect to be able to compete with that R76, and at 14... Short answer no, just no. You will have to wait till your about 16 till you can start really getting involved and playing.
Ok, thanks.

You may notice, if you care, that I may have been a dumbass noob beforehand.....I'm making myself stop that now though. 16 isn't too far.
Of course, if that 2012 thing happens it'll piss me right off.
JamesTB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:09   #120
victorzd

Thanks for posting that message, it cleared some things up for me, although I do have one question; exactly what don't you like about G&G?, I just bought a G&G m4 blowback as my first gun for 450$, I am a newb but my friends who have c/a and t/m guns tell me its a pretty reliable gun and that it was a good idea picking it up as my first. Is it because its not an actual replica or is it because its not fully metal etc. Please go easy on me as this is my first post and I am just curious and want to hear more experienced players' opinions about G&G
victorzd is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank