sights do you use them ?

:

General

Old February 20th, 2013, 18:17   #16
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibbles911 View Post
from my point of view its your preference vs mine but the fact that you can acquire your sight picture just using your peripheral's is pretty handy
No. What I'm saying is that the people that you see, who seem to not be using their sights, might actually in fact be using them.

There are also times when sighting down the barrel and walking the BB's into your target is an option, when both eyes are needed to track the movement of other more valuable targets. Just depends on the situation.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 18:22   #17
hav0k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
Was the title of this thread meant to read "I the OP don't use my sights, please everyone on here come and tell me it's normal and you all do the same" but that wouldn't fit in the title box?
LOL Who the hell are you? He was asking a question about people not using their sights. He saw a few videos of people not even using their sights.

Stop being a fail troll.
Old February 20th, 2013, 18:23   #18
skibbles911

Quote:
Was the title of this thread meant to read "I the OP don't use my sights, please everyone on here come and tell me it's normal and you all do the same" but that wouldn't fit in the title box?
no sorry to disappoint i was just inquiring about what everybody Else's opinion on the subject was but if that's the way you use yours man all the power to you.
skibbles911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 18:40   #19
Danke

What would Costa do?
Old February 20th, 2013, 18:42   #20
skibbles911

Quote:
What would Costa do?
LOL
skibbles911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 18:42   #21
hav0k

Quote:
What would Costa do?

No, the question is, what would you do?
Old February 20th, 2013, 18:43   #22
MaciekA

Similar to TANNER I've dumped most of my optics and sights and just gone with iron sights.

You can use precisely-zeroed optics if you want, but wind, random chaotic variations in hopup, shooting while moving, etc, are going to limit how well sights work.

To be good at outdoor airsoft, you need to take shots, evaluate those shots, and follow up with more shots. Once you get reasonably good at this method those follow up shots will usually be out of your barrel before the first ones have fully passed your target, since you'll know early on whether they'll hit or not.

Also to add to someone's post above... Some people who do not appear to be using their sights are in fact using them. I'm one of those people. I often vary the amount of alignment of vision through the sights depending on how much precision I think I actually need, weighed against how quickly I need to make the shot. A casual observer might see me drawing a sightline two inches above my sights and conclude that I don't use my sights, but I'm still using them -- it's just that I'm so used to them that I can work out a rough sightline 2 inches above the sights without having to get a perfect cheek weld.

On the other hand, in many situations (especially when sneaking up on an enemy guarding a target), I'll look directly through them if I can and be as precise as I can.

Both methods work well for different situations, but the bottom line is, you need to spend a huge amount of time aiming and getting to know your sight picture and the characteristics of your gun really well..

Lastly I'll mention that I've tried out a couple heavily-magnified ACOGs here and there and while I personally don't use them ever, I think they are pretty damned useful for reconnaissance as well as evaluating shots and planning followup shots. With magnification, you can track a BB for much longer than without. That said, the extra weight, the terrible eye-relief through goggles, the overall usability, the glare, the cost and the poor close-to-midrange performance has steered me away from these otherwise cool devices.

Iron sights for me.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 18:47   #23
Danke

Caveman can shoot. Caveman still use sights.
Old February 20th, 2013, 22:29   #24
bizkilter

I use my sights/optics all the time. What I use them for varies on the situation but I'm not much of a fan of streaming bbs down-range(except in cover situations). Most players I know use them. Handy bits of kit they are ")
Old February 20th, 2013, 22:44   #25
SuperHog

In a RS AR15, you can not see a bullet flight path and you certainly don't have a 120 mid cap.

With my airsoft M4, I can see the bb flight path in day light and CQB with a light. So I have only iron sights, but instinctive shooting works for me for distances under 50 feet.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 23:21   #26
Danke

Hosing is the dance of my people.
Old February 20th, 2013, 23:36   #27
Aper
E-30

I've been using sights in the CF, and still using them in airsoft. There's no excuses not to use sights. Except maybe Danke here that uses the Scarface method.

West Coast EOD Supporter. // Bang One, Bang Em All ! // In war, it's not who's right, but who's left.
Aper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 23:54   #28
QKLee11

I have always used Iron sights (when I was in Reserves), everyone should practise reflective shooting...in Airsoft most contacts are 30 metres minus (which in most cases where the Assault begins), you should be able to line your sights on any tgt in that range and hit it.

As far as the SAW goes, I usually watch where the "Beaton Zone" or spray of the BB's go. When I taught on the Machinegunners course (years ago) one thing I use to preach is to watch where the strike, tracers and Beaton Zone fall, that is where the cone of fire is, that is where it is effective. Thats why sometimes having a an optical sight on a machine gun is useless. Yeah it is effective to ly up with your tgt but a Machine gun is more effective if you can hit that tgt with a cone of fire (grazing fire) of the gun, watch where the strike and tracers go creating that cone of fire (beaton zone).
QKLee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 00:53   #29
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aper View Post
I've been using sights in the CF, and still using them in airsoft. There's no excuses not to use sights. Except maybe Danke here that uses the Scarface method.
You wanna play rough? Okay.
Old February 21st, 2013, 16:20   #30
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

It really depends on what your doing. I've run everything under the sun and found it useful. Iron sights are great for mid range day light and night shooting. In fact I'd suggest every one have an iron sight or wide relief setup on their gun in coexistence with their primary sight. It's very handy to have some for of zoom, wether it's for target identification, or scanning an unknown area for movement or hidden targets; especially before you wander into range. A flip to the side works well here. Mainly I've found a simple reflex style or mildot sight is the best all around. They give you a great focus point, and do not cutoff half your view radius like iron sights. Even a long range rifle scope can work with the right airsoft gun or situation. Here are a few good pointers for anyone setting up whatever type of sight they want to use. For starters make sure it's appropriate for the job your doing (and obviously that your gun can do the job), never use a sight just for looks, make sure you can use it and that it can be adjusted to your gun and hop-up, and try to stay away from any sight that has crappy eye relief, and of course you want to be able to see your BBs flight path; especially if you have to adjust for wind or some other dynamic.

Last edited by Ricochet; February 21st, 2013 at 16:26..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General