Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Beginner gun

:

Newbie Tank

Old April 14th, 2015, 21:16   #1
Shinra

Send a message via Skype™ to Shinra
Beginner gun

I'm down in Port credit and have been thinking about getting into the game but have been trying to decide on a good beginner gun. the Army issue store in PC has a smaller arrange of guns but I'm not sure what would be good as a first purchase i was looking at the G&G CM16 Raider-L the G&G CM16 Raider DST and the G&G CM16 R8-L would anyone suggest any of these as a starter gun? or if not is there something else you would suggest? I'm not against ordering stuff online but i'd like to support local shops if i can. Here's a link to their gun page http://armyissue.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/88 Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!
Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 21:56   #2
Shamusodoofus

You're going to get a lot of replies suggesting a wide array of guns. Generally speaking any gun made by a big name manufacturer will be a good starter gun. G&G is a very good entry level brand, they are one of few manufacturers that have a wide distribution chain in the Canadian market. If you're looking for a full metal gun in the mid $200 range, I would suggest looking into the King Arms M4. I recall seeing it on the Army Issue gun rack last time I was there, but that was a while ago. You may also want to do a quick search of the forums, there are a number of posts relating to beginner guns, but most will suggest G&G, King Arms or ICS in the low to mid $200 range
Shamusodoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 21:59   #3
Rusty Lugnuts
Fainting Goat, Dictator of Quinte West

Those choices are all good starter guns, shoot well, fairly durable, decent rate of fire, In my opinion they are good guns
Rusty Lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 22:37   #4
SuperN35

My .02 cents is this... Ask yourself, how much will you get into this... If not, don't over spend... But if you think this is something you can get into, get a gun that's in between the lowest end and the high end, you don't want to replace your first gun only because you want something better, get something that you can play with and upgrade accordingly for some time before you're next upgrade...

Take a drive out to some of the local stores and get some input from them as well...

Also, get Age Verified, you'll be glad you did... It will give you more options as well as to where you can get your first gun...
SuperN35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 22:48   #5
Kos-Mos

My vote is the R8.

Really the best bang for your buck in a starter gun.
The M2 Aimpoint included is good enough not to have to buy an other optic for a few years. It's not the best, but for the price of the rifle, it's cheap.

If you want to buy online, I recommend you shop around a little. The MSRP for the R8 is 209.99$. Lots of retailers sell it for that price.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 12:54   #6
Slodin

Buy a cheap G&G for starter is great...then if you like the sport, you can always sell on craigslist or kajiji? for a bit less and get a better gun.
East coast has better pricing..so you should shop around..even driving a bit away from your area is good idea to get a cheaper gun.

I'm surprised nobody said you should get verified yet lol
Old April 17th, 2015, 21:52   #7
unknownvariable

If you are at all going to play more than a year, might buy more kit (camo, gun upgrades), spend a couple more dollars and get a full metal gun. King Arms M4 for $260, or a G&P for $300. Full metal will be more satisfying and will give you something to build off of when you are ready, and if you want to sell later, you will find more buyers.
unknownvariable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 23:15   #8
SuperN35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodin View Post
Buy a cheap G&G for starter is great...then if you like the sport, you can always sell on craigslist or kajiji? for a bit less and get a better gun.
East coast has better pricing..so you should shop around..even driving a bit away from your area is good idea to get a cheaper gun.

I'm surprised nobody said you should get verified yet lol
Me too... I'm shocked that two posts above your's, I actually suggested it, just saying...
SuperN35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 08:11   #9
Rusty Lugnuts
Fainting Goat, Dictator of Quinte West

I have to disagree with unknown , G&P are not good beginner guns - weak internals plus this.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVm_TUVXGsw
Rusty Lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 09:24   #10
unknownvariable

Well I looked at it from beginner == cheap and I inferred that from selection of guns the OP proposed. How long does a beginner gun need to last? The G&P should easily last a season.

My first gun was a G&G CQBR MAX, and I think that was an excellent starter gun. I still have it and it is still stock. At no time would I have wanted a plastic gun or would I suggest a plastic one.

But that is just me.. do whatever..
unknownvariable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:36   #11
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

G&G CM (Combat Machines) make good introduction guns, not bad to start off with if you just want to test out the waters.

None of those three, however, are really an ideal platform to build from if you decide to get heavily into airsoft. It will be difficult to recoup any money you put into a gun that isn't full metal. For that reason I would recommend the CM16 Raider, because It's considerably less expensive.

If later you decide you want to get into airsoft, you can use the money you saved to put towards a nice full metal VFC of LCT.

Last edited by Kozzie; April 20th, 2015 at 20:49..
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 23:15   #12
ChevyM4

Thumbs up

My first purchase was a KJW full metal M4 gbb and I think its a perfect choice. There's a lot of upgradable parts and its reliable. I also bought KJW 1911, wasn't the full metal but will upgrade soon with a different lower receiver. I bought both from BuyAirsoft Canada and my M4 was delivered within a week.
ChevyM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 00:20   #13
Gavelak

The CM16 raider is a good choice. I bought one starting out and it worked well for me. I have since moved on to bigger and better guns. But its a great kit to get started on the cheap. Just one thing to remember with any gun, find compatible mags some work better than others and of course get quality bbs to avoid feeding and jamming issues. Other than that, have fun. Once you get into the sport more and learn more from friends and peers in the community and with a lot of diligent research on forums such as this, you will be in a better position to figure out which guns are worth the money and time to upgrade and which best suit your play style and tastes.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank