Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > Canadian Airsoft News Stand
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

BW III operational warning order is up!

:

Canadian Airsoft News Stand

Old December 15th, 2008, 12:09   #46
Endymion

There are those who will show, and those who will talk about showing but do nothing but cite the cost as a detractor.

Keep in mind that cost and value are two different things. While there is some initial sticker shock, when you consider all of the factors required to hold such an event and take into consideration the sheer magnitude of your experience there, the value is quite obvious.
Endymion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:13   #47
dragwindsor

Send a message via MSN to dragwindsor
My 249 and twin Mac 11's are ready. Same with the twin TM M3's.

dragwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:17   #48
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

As I said

Considering the magnitude of challenge and Fun to be had ... and balanced against the excellent 2 previous BW games ...

I'm there .. I don't much care what is costs , I'm there
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:18   #49
dragwindsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
Considering the magnitude of challenge and Fun to be had ... and balanced against the excellent 2 previous BW games ...

Come pick me up.

I'll pay.

Old December 15th, 2008, 14:09   #50
whisper_kill

I think there are two arguments happening at the same time here.

I don't think it is a question of value for the dollar, that is self-evident. This will be a great event for a fair price.

I think the point is, some people simply don't have that kind of expendable income, period. I can think of about 3 guys off the top of my head that can't even afford to go out for dinner! : )

Saying that, you've got a lot of time to save your pennies. Get on it boys and girls. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't.
Old December 15th, 2008, 15:11   #51
BlackRain

Just over 6 months is a good amount of time for people to save up to make it to the event. I think if Lisa created a temporary Car pool section for those coming from a distance in and out of Province would be a great idea as well. Gives everyone a chance to fill up their cars and save on fuel costs while keeping the overall cost down for everyone.
This is going to be the biggest event of the year hands down and one of the most action packed milisim scenario's you guys will ever get to play. With the amount of CQB mixed in with the outdoor stuff you guys are going to go absolutely crazy having that much fun. This is the only facility of it's kind in Canada that offers this much variety and will challenge even the most seasoned of players.

We are not the masks we wear, .... But when we don them we become them!
BlackRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 15:19   #52
whisper_kill

I don't think it is fair to say what is appropriate for other people. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Our economy is sucking, people are pulling back from "extravagances" more and more.

Sure, my personal opinion is most people should be able to save up with over half of a year to go... but everyone is different. I don't think you have anything to worry about, this event will draw from a larger region than most games, it is being marketing far in advance of the event and frankly it is a mint location for airsoft.
Old December 15th, 2008, 16:10   #53
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post

+1,

damn, just saw the fps limit, i guess it downgrade time
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 16:18   #54
Big Red

Border Wars III

I realize that people are making some comments on the price which is why we decided to post this very early and let people prepare.

There is an incredible amount of work that is being done by the Force Recon team to bring you such a venue and we did discuss the pros and cons of setting the price.

Reality is the land and insurance fees are the big chunk of the funds. Nobody is walking away making loads of money here and that is not our goal when you consider that we (Force Recon folks) need to spend time preparing the facility ensuring we've eliminated any undue risk to anyone and satisfying the landowners and insurance folks.

Developing the safety plan and associated risk assessments takes a lot of effort and that's not including planning the challenging scenarios you'll be playing.

I also want to thank Brian for stepping up to the plate and providing his leadership for the Canadian team and thanks to Jimisim from New York for leading the US team.

Grumbling aside, you either want to take part in this event or you don't. If you do, plan ahead both financially and mentally for what we believe willbe the game of the year.

Big Red
CWO
Force Recon
Border Wars III Planner
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 17:13   #55
lt_poncho

Send a message via MSN to lt_poncho
I just want to put in my 2 cents here, having organized a few large scale events. I have to agree with Blackrain et. al. - having worked in the commercial insurance industry for at least 5 years I can guaran-fucking-tee that in order to get General Liability insurance for the sort of event planned on such a venue is in the many thousands of dollars.

The land/venue itself would likely be pro rated as it was when it was last insured, plus added 'danger premium' given the likely circumstances of the condition and state of facilities, and the event that is being planned. That's not withstanding that the insurance premium offered is not likely for 2 DAYS ONLY or ‘just for the term of the event’ - what is the lowest short term you think you are able to get commercial insurance for? Fortunate to even GET an insurance company to write the risk all things considered.

Paintball Fields might maintain the same scale of risk, but their property has significantly less risk/value - as far as writing commercial insurance is concerned. Significantly less premium as well.

Stateside US events of this magnitude have been in the $100+ USD price of admission for over 10 years now. This has never been nor ever will be a 'cheap' hobby/sport.

I'm certainly not trying to single out the 'have not’s - I think the event planners here have been pretty upfront to disclose where a majority of the costs are associated to. But if you feel you need to ratify or quantify this yourself, feel free to call ANY Commercial Insurance Broker and ask them for a quote for the facilities. Just give them the postal code and sit back for a quote. You will be surprised.
Old December 15th, 2008, 17:23   #56
lt_poncho

Send a message via MSN to lt_poncho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion View Post
There are those who will show, and those who will talk about showing but do nothing but cite the cost as a detractor.

Keep in mind that cost and value are two different things. While there is some initial sticker shock, when you consider all of the factors required to hold such an event and take into consideration the sheer magnitude of your experience there, the value is quite obvious.
Cost is tangible. Value is intangible and relative to perception.

"Game of the year?" - perhaps call it; "An event with huge potential" and let the PLAYERS call it the game of the year AFTER they've played all the games that they would in 2009.

Everyone banked that Alexandre Daigle was going to be the "Player of the Year"...whoops.
Old December 15th, 2008, 17:39   #57
NovaKaynE

For everyone that attended BWII at Harms Way in September, you all know what kind of show Krusty puts on. He's a very innovative person and takes pride in bringng really big events to the game. He makes no money on these events. All the money you give him to play goes towards everything he has already mentioned. This event will cost him thousands of dollars and will only cost the player $150. Maybe extra with a motel or other arrangements.

Most events around here hardly even break the 100 player marker. BWII broke 200 in September and we all played on a very congested field. You get to play on a field with free reign over its boundaries, a lunch/dinner, camping for the weekend(and i dont mean sitting in a corner waiting for kills :P), 16+ hours of trigger time, quite possibly 100-150+ OPFOR players to shoot at and you're going to be playing in yet another huge event. You can't even go just camping for a full weekend for this price.

It's unfortunate that some people may not be able to afford it...but if they truly want to come, they have a full year to save up for it.

I won't be surprised if I see 300+ attendance.

P.S. gas prices have gone down :P
Old December 15th, 2008, 17:44   #58
BlackRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaKaynE View Post
For everyone that attended BWII at Harms Way in September, you all know what kind of show Krusty puts on. He's a very innovative person and takes pride in bringng really big events to the game. He makes no money on these events. All the money you give him to play goes towards everything he has already mentioned. This event will cost him thousands of dollars and will only cost the player $150. Maybe extra with a motel or other arrangements.

Most events around here hardly even break the 100 player marker. BWII broke 200 in September and we all played on a very congested field. You get to play on a field with free reign over its boundaries, a lunch/dinner, camping for the weekend(and i dont mean sitting in a corner waiting for kills :P), 16+ hours of trigger time, quite possibly 100-150+ OPFOR players to shoot at and you're going to be playing in yet another huge event. You can't even go just camping for a full weekend for this price.

It's unfortunate that some people may not be able to afford it...but if they truly want to come, they have a full year to save up for it.

I won't be surprised if I see 300+ attendance.

P.S. gas prices have gone down :P
+1 Well said

We are not the masks we wear, .... But when we don them we become them!
BlackRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 18:09   #59
IndiaSixTwo

I just wanted to say that the initial sticker shock has worn off and when you consider that we are coming from Manitoba and are incorporating this event as part of our vacation, all in all it is a worth while cost. (I'll probably end up spending more at Canada's Wonderland than here.) I guess it is a matter of perspective.

Looking forward to getting boots on the ground!
IndiaSixTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 18:12   #60
dragwindsor

I think the carpool thread is a good idea.

I NEED to play there.

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > Canadian Airsoft News Stand