Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Sniper Rifles - best choice

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old July 25th, 2012, 21:27   #1
SuperHog

Sniper Rifles - best choice

I am in the market for two sniper rifles and I need people that have own several to help me out.

I don't want to break the bank but want two good value snipers.

One is a spring powered for single shots, and the other is a AEG sniper dedicated that can still shoot semi only.

Also for each what upgrades are absolutely necessary. Thanks all.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 21:51   #2
L473ncy

If it's not either TM VSR-10, CA M24, or Maruzen APS2 you're probably wasting your money. A decent budget platform to start with would be a JG BAR-10 (although I do have a lot of reservations about buying this) but it's not manufactured to the tight tolerances that the TM VSR is.

As for upgrades, PSS Zero trigger, Hop up bucking, spring, Piston, teflon cylinder, Aero chamber etc. the list goes on and on but if you stick with Laylax or PDI parts you can't go wrong.

As for AEG sniper you'll be hard pressed to find one but you could get a MOSFET and program it to semi only with or without "delay" (some have option of 1 sec delay to simulate recocking the bolt). I'd say the TM PSG-1 is awesome but they'r every hard to find (they can be found but hard to find already in Canada and you'll need to get it from overseas). Other guns I'd suggest are a VFC or G&P AR setup to be "DMR"-ish rifles. ie. 20" outer barrel, free float handguard (eg. Bushmaster V-Match, JP Rifles handguard, etc.), American Defence, KAC, or LaRue Scope Mount, Short Dot (Millet DMS-1, Vortex Crossfire, Primary Arms PA14X, etc.).
Old July 25th, 2012, 21:54   #3
ap27

Might want to start with an AEG converted to a DMR with semi-only. You'll still need to upgrade, but not as extensively as BARs.

Bolt actions can get really expensive once you add the necessary parts for reliability and accuracy.

Pick your favorite gun, then you can ask about converting it into a DMR. Some examples are ARs (M16 variants, SR25), SCAR SSR, Masada DMR, G36/SL8/SL9.

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 22:12   #4
SuperHog

If I get one of the TM VSR-10, CA M24, or Maruzen APS2, is the barrel accurate enough? I hear mixed reviews that a 6.01 is not as consistent as a larger bore like 6.03 or larger?

I have a CA G36 and not quite happy with the poor construction and fit. A lot of stripped screws. Must be made on a Monday or Friday. So CA will not be considered.

The TM VSR-10 is tempting assuming quality is up there.

Is a 1.5X sufficient power or too much for airsoft sniping?

Last edited by SuperHog; July 25th, 2012 at 22:19..
Old July 25th, 2012, 22:20   #5
iamnotcody
Raeg Quit!1~1

Theres a TM PSG-1 on the classifieds right now, I think it's modded and is selling for bout $700.
iamnotcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 22:30   #6
SuperHog

I talked to another owner that suggested a M28, but his was getting slam fire after it was cocked. Did a internet search, and read other owners had the same issue.

Hmmm, kinda unsafe flaw consider it got good reviews on everything else.

Anyone owned a M28 fixed this?

I am strongly considering the TM VSR-10, but need to weigh the upgrade costs of each one.

But the TM PSG-1 looks like a killer, gun but can it be left stock and still compete with a VSR-10 upgraded?
Old July 25th, 2012, 22:33   #7
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave

If you want consistency and a bolt-action that can compete, you need to upgrade the inner barrel (tightbore), hop-up, and the trigger (preferably the Laylax PSS Zero Trigger). Those 3 are the bare minimum upgrades you need for accuracy and fieldability (I've broken my stock trigger box just with casual use), everything is optional and merely helps you maintain a steady FPS. High quality BB's are a must or you risk screwing up your tightbore or hop-up rubber.

The Well / Warrior L96 is a good base platform since they're generally cheap ($150-200) and you end up replacing almost everything (important) in your bolt-action anyways. Field FPS limits generally allow snipers to have 50-100 FPS more with their bolt-action, however there is a lot of safety to consider when running hot guns so I advise you to take a sniper course (whenever available) with your stock bolt-action and upgrade it after the course when you're sure you really enjoy sniping. A decent side-arm is a MUST for any sniper.

AEG DMRs are generally not difficult to create; selector plates are easily moddable to semi-only. I'm actually in the process of a build right now using an M16-length inner barrel on an SPR outer barrel, covering the additional length with a silencer. You'll definitely want to upgrade the hop-up rubber (like bolt-actions) before anything else. A good motor and proper shimming is the key to trigger response and the ROF increase won't make much of a difference if you mod if to semi-only.
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 22:44   #8
SuperHog

I like the TM VSR-10, but love the PSG-1.
Old July 25th, 2012, 22:46   #9
phloudernow

Send a message via MSN to phloudernow Send a message via Skype™ to phloudernow
IMO, safest way is to run a active breaking mosfet in a AEG DMR, allows for full cycle completion and allows for great trigger response when running on an 11.1v battery, and since you are only doing semi only it should be fine, all i did to my gun was change the piston to prometheus at first and it is still shooting fine
Custom SAI BLU Glock Build (Timberwolf Base)
Custom Zev Noveske Shooting Team Glock 34
Project Guns
Custom Zev Dragonfly G17 (Project) (In progress)
phloudernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 22:58   #10
highny

I had my Bolt Action for over 2 years now and been playing every season. Sometimes even in the cold. Before that I have many AEG built to be a DMR, from ICS to G&G and even CA. To be honest, it's easy to upgrade a rifle but getting a good feel for it takes time. I just want you to remember that. Once your confident with it, you'll out preform other with even a stock rifle.

Anyways, I currently running a Well L96 fully upgraded. Spent over $1200 on the upgrade alone. The L96 only cost me $300 new. You'll hear a lot of people saying you need a 'high' quality platform but I feel it's completely unnecessary specially if your going to gut the gun and fill it with new stuff anyways. Why bother spending that extra $100-200 on a 'fancy' brand?

Here's how I see it on mechanical aspect of airsoft.
Stock AEG > Stock BA
Stock AEG = Upgraded BA
Upgraded AEG > Upgraded BA

Reason being AEG has semi/full auto. With that said you'll be able to see the wind affecting your bb and shoot again while the condition is similar to the first shot whereas BA you'll have that 1-2 sec delay(cocking the handle) and will have to remember where your first shot land and consider the new condition you maybe facing. Condition as in natural environment.

Upgrading a AEG isn't easy either. There's more that could go wrong because of more parts. Ex: higher FPS meaning new cylinder head, new gearset, and higher voltage battery. With higher voltage battery you'll have to consider the strength of your motor. Aside from all that, you'll need a good hop up unit with good rubber if you plan on semi/full auto. This would all cost you around $700-900 depending on brands.

As for the PSG1, I've seen a friend of my trying to find aftermarket parts for that thing, and to be honest, most places don't make those stock parts. If anything were to break you'll have a hell of a time looking for replacement part. Or even a new gun in this case.

What I would recommend is, start off with a AEG. Build it a DMR. Once you feel like your ready to take on a bolt action, start by playing your AEG like a BA. Meaning don't even use semi. Take a shot. Eye off scope. Pull your charging handle. Re-scope. Fire. If you can stand that, get a cheap BA and play it stock for a couple game. If it is right for you. Find a website where you could buy everything at once. That way you'll save a lot on shipping. Also pick up a few extra micro like hopup unit o-rings/springs.

I'm sorry if you know all this and a drag to read but I wasted a lot of money to find my sweet spot and I hope you won't make as much mistake as I did.
highny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 23:23   #11
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by highny View Post

Anyways, I currently running a Well L96 fully upgraded. Spent over $1200 on the upgrade alone. The L96 only cost me $300 new. You'll hear a lot of people saying you need a 'high' quality platform but I feel it's completely unnecessary specially if your going to gut the gun and fill it with new stuff anyways. Why bother spending that extra $100-200 on a 'fancy' brand?
Would it not be better to build it up from scratch and save the $300 of the base L96 considering you are replacing everything.

By the way, what left of the L96 after spending $1200?
Old July 25th, 2012, 23:33   #12
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

My VSR-10 cost me $900 in total
It's more accurate at range than any AEG
It's also DEAD SILENT FROM 10 FEET AWAY, unlike AEGs

Bolt action rifles are inherently more accurate than AEG's, that's why we use them
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 23:47   #13
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
Would it not be better to build it up from scratch and save the $300 of the base L96 considering you are replacing everything.

By the way, what left of the L96 after spending $1200?
You can't build a gun from nothing. You need a base gun to start with, if only for the body, all the screws and springs, etc.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 00:16   #14
SuperHog

Thanks for all the feedback.

It kinda looks like a AEG DMR would be the only choice for now.

Reason being is the crazy cost of building up a decent BA.

The nice thing about a DMR is a quick follow up shot on windy days. Yeah, I won't be as accurate as a BA, but if the first shot is missed, I have many more after that quickly to hit the target.
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:54   #15
highny

On the PDI site, they actually sell the receiver and outer barrel too. Then you'll just need to find a stock with parts but I estimate that to cost more than a new clone L96. Unless your planning on beating the receiver a clone will do.

Forgot to mention, a good scope goes a long way. Perpare to spend $80-120 on that and a set of scope rings. If your doing an M16 you may need a set of offset scope ring because of the long eye releif. That'll be $50-80 for real steal at bass pro or $40-70 on eBay with shipping.
highny is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion