Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Why some game dont allow ESS goggle?

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 9th, 2015, 16:36   #1
sebdark

Why some game dont allow ESS goggle?

Why some event and games dont allow Ess goggle?

Field owner rules --> assurance?
Old June 9th, 2015, 17:01   #2
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Must have been a paintball field.Painball field insureance will not accept ballistic lenses, even tho they are probably stronger or at least equal to a PB goggle they dont carry the propper safety rating, likeANSI standard Z87.1 as an example is not a paintball rated goggle.
ASTM handels PB stuff as far as I know.
now some PB fields will allow ballistic lenses on days there are not any paintballers (ie in the winter) but most airsoft only fields will allow any ballistic rated full seal goggles, that doesnt mean that china clone ess will be ok, but I can say I have tested china ESS fan goggles from ASD with a 500fps bolt action point blank and had no shattering or penetration with bb weights from .20-.43g
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 17:10   #3
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Here is a post from an old thread, it goes into details about an almost opposite question. Someone wanted some lenses for airsoft that also met Z87.1 (thats prety much your standard safety glasses, deffinately not safe for airsoft, likely couldnt survive 1 point blank shot, or even 1 at 50 feet and for sure not multiple hits. What you really want/need for airsoft (unless your playing at a PB field) Is something with the MIL-DTL-43511D those will stop multiple strikes with real ammo, and fragmentation devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewalker View Post
ANSI Z87.1+ rated eyewear is not rated for paintball or airsoft. It does not meet the requirements of multiple strikes. I don't know why you would need that.

This means a ton of paintball eye protection won't have ansi rating because ansi ratings mean nothing when it comes to paintball masks. This shows that the host is just slapping a label on something because they think it's safe.

Most eye wear used in airsoft has to meet the MIL-PRF-31013, clause 3.5.1.1 for glasses or MIL-DTL-43511D, clause 3.5.10 for goggles as these are the only ratings that use multiple strikes. Most ballistic eyewear (wiley-x, revision, ess, etc) surpasses theses military standards.
And here is the thread for reference.
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=124285
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old June 9th, 2015, 17:11   #4
FirestormX

As Hectic said, it is usually paintball fields that do not allow ESS goggles (or other non-paintball goggles).

The insurance on the field requires paintball rated goggles, and ESS goggles are not specifically rated for paintball.
FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 17:35   #5
leth1337

What I wanna know is why places require full seal when I can wear dollar store sunglasses to the range.. Lol

Last edited by leth1337; June 9th, 2015 at 18:04..
leth1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 18:11   #6
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

Simple answer is insurance regulations.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 18:11   #7
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Because insurance companies are third party and your eyes are at high risk at an airsoft/paintball field. Any place that has paintball insurance requires full seal to make their insurance valid and covers both sports with one insurance. Wearing dollar store glasses shooting isn't terribly smart. It's unlikely shrapnel, recoil or a casing will hit your eye, but still not intelligent.
Old June 9th, 2015, 18:17   #8
leth1337

Makes sense. I wear ESS ICE when I shoot but just stating the point that it's allowed and kind of silly
Old June 9th, 2015, 18:35   #9
MultipleParadox

Quote:
Originally Posted by leth1337 View Post
What I wanna know is why places require full seal when I can wear dollar store sunglasses to the range.. Lol

At the range, the target rarely shoots back

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 18:36   #10
Danke

Quote:
Makes sense. I wear ESS ICE when I shoot but just stating the point that it's allowed and kind of silly
Those are for shooting. Not being shot at.
Old June 10th, 2015, 00:28   #11
sebdark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
Those are for shooting. Not being shot at.
In fact ICE are:
Safety Standards: This ICE™ eyeshield is compliant with U.S. MIL SPEC MIL-PRF-31013 (Clause 3.5.1.1), ANSI Z87.1-2010, CE EN 166 and U.S. Federal OSHA. All ESS lenses provide 100% UVA/UVB protection.
(for smoke lens http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-ONE-Smo...html#_overview )

You can be shot back with that goggle :P
Old June 10th, 2015, 00:39   #12
sebdark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
Here is a post from an old thread, it goes into details about an almost opposite question. Someone wanted some lenses for airsoft that also met Z87.1 (thats prety much your standard safety glasses, deffinately not safe for airsoft, likely couldnt survive 1 point blank shot, or even 1 at 50 feet and for sure not multiple hits. What you really want/need for airsoft (unless your playing at a PB field) Is something with the MIL-DTL-43511D those will stop multiple strikes with real ammo, and fragmentation devices.

And here is the thread for reference.
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=124285
Means you can be shot multiple time in the face with real weapon and the goggle still ok, but it's not airsoft proof on paintball field because insurance...

Tell me if I do/say a mistake...
Old June 10th, 2015, 00:41   #13
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Deleted the pics a long time ago, but I'm never wearing ICE glasses again. Their quality went down the drain when they got bought by oakley. The crossbows are good, but the ICE line just fell apart.
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthr...&highlight=ess

They'll take hits when they're brand new, but their design inherently makes cracks in the lenses causing serious weak points and negating all protection.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 10:24   #14
Juke16

Quote:
Like someone else said, at the range you generally don't get shot at. Without a full seal there is always the possibility of someone shooting you at just the right angle to slip under your eye pro and hit your eye. I've also seen someone wearing goggles have a BB ricochet off the inside of them and into his eye.

The shooting range and the airsoft field are two different places and situations, what works for one place doesn't work for the other.
Juke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 11:30   #15
Hectic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdark View Post
Means you can be shot multiple time in the face with real weapon and the goggle still ok, but it's not airsoft proof on paintball field because insurance...

Tell me if I do/say a mistake...
Thats corrct, the mil spec stuff is definately stronger than painball goggles, just they dont submit them for that testing because they are not in the paintball business. The paintball fields know (at least most of them know) that the goggles ars better, however they are missing 2 things that paintball goggles are required to have. 1 being the rating as paintball safe, and seccond being full face coverage (alot of pb fields require full face for under 18, and some its across the board)
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank