Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Booby Traps?

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old September 11th, 2012, 11:50   #1
Darkstar227

Booby Traps?

Hello all hows everyone doing? I was wondering i am new to ASC and i am currently doing a bunch of reasearch on airsoft before i get on board hardcore and had a question about some game tatics here. In the milsim games you guys hold do you permit the use of booby traps such as Taking a APS sound grenade and tieing it to a tree and running fishing line accross a trail to another tree? Or even using a Tornado grenade in similar fasion?
Darkstar227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:53   #2
The Chad
formerly LoveMyStubby

Probably not given the fact that most fields are shared with paintballers, I doubt the owners will appreciate the increased risk of someone hurting themselves..................you're thinking "how could fishing line hurt someone?"..................you obviously don't fish much.

Fyi, "boobie traps" designed to cause bodily harm are illegal in Canada.
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:00   #3
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chad View Post
/snip

on a serious note, its all up to the field owner/game host.
I've seen those magnetic door alarms tied to stakes and set up as trip mines.
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:01   #4
ShelledPants

Quote:
Probably not given the fact that most fields are shared with paintballers, I doubt the owners will appreciate the increased risk of someone hurting themselves..................you're thinking "how could fishing line hurt someone?"..................you obviously don't fish much.

Hush now.

To the OP. Yes, this sort of thing happens. It is uncommon as there tends to be a lot of friendly fire from AI Grenades set to tripwire. But it does happen. Occasionally you see someone who has made a claymore (or has bought one) that throws BBs 20 feet. Again, all uncommon, I've seen booby traps ... twice in 5 years of playing.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:03   #5
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

kokanee had some awesome rigs set up for spartan shield last year, from pressure plate mines to trip wire charges/mortars and other IED like implements.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:04   #6
5kull

We allow them on our field but you have to be careful not to hurt anyone. They must be designed in such a way that the wire will give instead of tripping someone.

Most of the time the traps are discovered and used against you anyway So they are not very common. Another big problem is killing your own team members
5kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:09   #7
The Chad
formerly LoveMyStubby

To clarify, I'm talking specifically about setting tripwires. Remote claymores and pressure activated mines would not only be fine but would be funny. I have played indoor games with claymores and there were no complaints. Most people announce the use of such devices so the sore losers don't have a hissy fit.
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:11   #8
Darkstar227

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kull View Post
We allow them on our field but you have to be careful not to hurt anyone. They must be designed in such a way that the wire will give instead of tripping someone.

Most of the time the traps are discovered and used against you anyway So they are not very common. Another big problem is killing your own team members
I was more thinking along the lines of just using the APS sound flashbangs as advanced warning systems ether set up in front or behind a position to give you heads up as to approaching troops. I guess it would depend if a Flashbang would count as a kill in the scenario.
Darkstar227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 13:14   #9
5kull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar227 View Post
I was more thinking along the lines of just using the APS sound flashbangs as advanced warning systems ether set up in front or behind a position to give you heads up as to approaching troops. I guess it would depend if a Flashbang would count as a kill in the scenario.
We use battery powered door alarms that you can find at the dollar store for that. They make a lot of noise
5kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 13:30   #10
The Chad
formerly LoveMyStubby

Sentries are more reliable lol
Old September 11th, 2012, 13:36   #11
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

On fields that allow rigs that "kill", distract, disorient, or disable someone; you cannot:

- trip
- blind
- deafen
- cut
- scrape
- poison
- kill
- slice
- stun
- paralyze
- induce seizures
- mentally scar
- instill PTSD
- impale
- cause allergic reaction
- drug
- rape
- shred
- magnetize
- run over
- stab
- explode
- light on fire
- freeze
- melt
- toxify
- decapitate
- vaporize
- cleave
- neutere
- liquify
- implode
- drown
- disembowel
- electrocute
- or cause the consumption of your target by wild animals

Just kidding, but seriously; a "booby trap", would have to be 100% safe. Think about every aspect. Make sure your tolerances are low, so no one trips and any wire breaks first. Remember; someone could be running when they trigger your trap. All sound devices should be at a safe decibel level, and all light/flash devices be below the safe lumin, or candlelight rating. All projectiles should be harmless. This includes what is being launched and how hard it's being flung at the enemy. Dried peas and flower are cheap, safe, and common
objects used in mines or claymores. You can use cheap BBs as well, if your field allows non bio BBs. A trap should be clever, humorous, and above all "safe". If there is absolutely no way someone can sustain injury or a short term/long term health effect; it shouldn't be an issue.

Just some advice about using anything with a charge in it. Be wary of it's capability to start a fire. Our old homemade grenades were made very safe. We modified the charge, so it could go off in your hand without incident. What we did not account for was it's ability to start a fire. We were lucky it didn't do major damage, but it could have been a lot worse.

Last edited by Ricochet; September 11th, 2012 at 15:30..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 13:47   #12
The Chad
formerly LoveMyStubby

You forgot impale
Old September 11th, 2012, 13:55   #13
Deadpool

Quote:
You forgot impale
Nope it's in there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
/snip
- cut
- scrape
- poison
- impale
- kill
- slice
- stun
- paralyze
/snip

Vérificateur d'age Mauricie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
So you're saying we cannot engage in a hobby once we are older?

Children these days.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 14:25   #14
Rickshaw

I've seen pressure release IED's used and they just incorporate a dollar store door alarm and anyone within a certain radius are instant killed, wounded, etc. They're simple to make, and there's ways to make all different kinds of initiation sets like pull, pressure, pressure release, etc.

EDIT: Oh and Chad, the early warning devices are used when there aren't enough people to warrant observation points so obviously you'd want people manning positions if possible but there's very few games where you have a large enough defensive oriented team to seup something like that, whereas early warning devices are easy to string up across paths, doorways, corridors, etc.

Click above for the MB Bootnecks Facebook page!
"Pro Patria"

Last edited by Rickshaw; September 11th, 2012 at 14:27..
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 14:35   #15
m102404
Tys

IMO...When it comes to an automated booby trap you have to take extra measures to ensure that it is safe....because you've removed the human discretion from it. And they have to be really stupid person safe.

Take for example your sound grenade...if a guy is crawling along trying to sneak up on you guys, if you're tossing the grenade yourself you may not throw it to land right beside his face...and if you happened to because you're a prick then at least he'd have a chance to react to it to protect himself. If it's automated...that's not possible. If it's dark/shaded/partially hidden (like a good booby trap would be) it raises the risk.

Tripping hazards are another. No matter how light you've got the trigger/release/pin set, or how klutzy someone would have to be to trip on it, you've got to assume that someone is going to trip and fall. In all directions. Why? Because it's not a mother nature has put it there bump in the ground...you've put it there.

And...you've got to go back and disable/remove every trap you've put out there when you're done. Easy enough to do...just tag each with a GPS and collect/clean them up.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures