A guide to the M16 in vietnam and in airsoft

:

Vietnam

Old April 22nd, 2008, 21:21   #1
McKee
Merica'

Send a message via MSN to McKee
A guide to the M16 in vietnam and in airsoft

The M16 is always a huge area of debate, as it has changed much over the course of the vietnam war. This article will discuss a brief history of the M16 in vietnam, and how to have a historically accurate M16 for airsoft use.

================================================== ========

History

Versions:

Early War:

The first M16 was the colt model 601 which when adopted, became the model 602. This is the airforce adoptation that started it all. Key features were the three prong flash hider, the "slab sided" lower reciever which did not have the raised ridges known as a magazine catch fence, and the lack of forward assist. Most of these rifles went to the airforce, and some to special forces and advisors in vietnam. Used in vietnam from 1963 to the mid 1960s. Very limited use.

Pictures & Additional Info

Mid War:
When the Army adopted the M16, it adopted the model 603, known as the XM-16E1. It differed from the 602 model as it featured a foward assist and a partial magazine catch fence (horizontal only). Adopted in 1964, this model changed up until 1967 when it was phased out. Throughout it's experimental adoption, it was later changed to have a chrome barrel and chamber to address it's reliability issues, a parkerized bolt replaced the original chrome bolt, the birdcage style flash hider was adopted, and a full magazine catch fence was added. This model was found with many variations of the above features due to it's experimental run. These rifles were issued to all army soldiers in vietnam, and the early versions without the chrome lining was what made the m16 famous as an unreliable weapons, though the inclusion of the chrome essentially eliminated the problem.

Pictures & More Info

Late War:

The model 603's designation was changed from the XM16E1 to the M16A1 after all the features were finally incorporated from field testing. Changes included the birdcage flash hider, buttstock storage space or "Trap door", full magazine catch fence, and the chrome barrel & chamber. Issued in early-mid 1967.

Pictures & Info

Sources:
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as18-e.htm
http://www.retroblackrifle.com/ModGde/RflGde/603A1.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle
================================================== ============

Now, onto airsoft use:

The Marui M-16 VN is marked on the box as the model 602 (airforce model), then says it in the same breath it is the XM16E1 (the army's model 603). Lets see it's features starting from the back forward.

Non Trap door, solid buttstock. A feature of the pre-m16A1 weapon. The solid rear sling swivel, a feature of the m16a1/late XM. Forward assist, full mag fence, M16A1 trademarks... all features of the A1, and beside the trade, the late XM. Finally, the duck bill flash hider. A late XM peice. From this, I would determine that the VN is actually a late XM-16E1, though the trademark is inaccurate. Due to the wide variation of features on the XM-16E1 througout it's use, this weapon is a good representation and I consider it pretty accurate.

Now the VN has recieved a bad rep in the airsoft community, but I have done the following and found it to be a very reliable weapon:

1. Drilled a hole through the fake screw on the buttplate and moved the long securing screw that goes from the end of the butt into the mechbox outside of the plate. This requires me to have a phillips screwdriver to remove it every time i replace the battery, but the buttplate doesnt fall off anymore. It's asthetically pleasing as it's difficult to notice, and i dont have to put ugly tape of the butt to avoid losing the plate.

2. Painted the reciever with krylon black paint. The orignal finish on the plastic is a very bright grey color, and although the m16 reciever was slightly greyish, the marui plastic makes it look very fake and unrealistic. The black paint makes it look much better.

3. Cross drilled 4 self tapping metal screws into the brass reciever securing ring (just under the slip ring + handguard). This pratically eliminates barrel wobble. Makes the weapon very solid.

These 3 things pretty much sorts out the VN problems and creates a solid workhorse of an airsoft gun, and have been very good to me in the field. I have nothing but praise for the marui VN and if you are considering getting into vietnam airsoft and want to get a generic GI look, this is an excellent choice. If you have a little more cash to spend, get a WGC Custom M16VN. It's made with all metal G&P parts, and is preupgraded. I personally own a WGC Custom XM177E1 and it is very tough. It's a recreation of the model 602 as the trademarks indicate. It lacks the forward assist but im unsure if it has the magfence or not. According to WGC, it is the same price as a marui VN and if you can find an importer to bring it in for you and not rip you off, you'll have yourself a full metal, upgraded airsoft gun at the same price as a marui. I cannot comment on classic army's VN model but it could also be a viable alternative, through from pictures its historical features appear the same as the Marui VN though it's trades are wrong. It is full metal and upgraded out of the box through so it may be worth a try.

A NOTE ON CONVERSION FROM AN M16A2

The A2 differs from a vietnam model in the following ways:
  • Buttstock Trap Door
  • Round Forward Assist Instead of Tear-Drop
  • Windage + Elevation knobs
  • Casing Deflector
  • Knotch On Pistol Grip
  • Round hanguards
  • Noticeably Thicker Barrel
  • A2 style birdcage (A1 style had holes all the way around)
  • A2 Trademarks

That being said, you would be replacing damn near everything except the mechbox. It is much cheaper to go with a WGC Custom if you wanted to upgrade to G&P metal parts, though the CA VN is a viable alternative as well.

Anyway I hope i've helped answer some questions on the M16 in Vietnam, so now get your ass back out in the bush troop!.

Commanding in Airsoft
McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 21:28   #2
KNIVEZS

nice info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven
Tip of the day: When removing a chain of anal beads from your lovers rectum. Do not pull them out as if you were attempting to start a lawn mower.

sexy time
KNIVEZS is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Vietnam