Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Review: G-Code Scorpion 556 Magazine Pouch

:

Reviews

Old January 16th, 2016, 21:21   #1
brock0

Review: G-Code Scorpion 556 Magazine Pouch

Winter is the time of year where I do a lot of tinkering with my loadout while getting ready for my regular outdoor games to start back up, and this year is no different. As part of that, after spotting pictures online and having been a fan of G-Code kydex holsters for awhile now, I decided to try out the Scorpion mag carriers in place of my go-to HSGI Tacos.

(G-Code Scorpions mounted to an HSGI chest rig)

Build Quality
All G-Code products are hand made to order and the Scorpion is made up of molded kydex secured in an almost clamshell configuration with shock cord. The inside of each carrier is lined with what G-code calls "tactical fuzz". As with everything else I've tried from G-Code, the Scorpions seem very high quality and rock solid.

(Black tactical fuzz lines each Scorpion)

Function
G-Code offers a variety of different hardware to mount the Scorpion and I opted for the MOLLE strips. Mounting each pouch took about 30 seconds and zero stress, a nice change from the Taco. The MOLLE strips are secured with two screws and no fuss.

Magazine retention is excellent. I cannot get my PMAGs or metal mid-caps to fall out no matter what I try. As such the grip is quite tight, requiring a firm tug on the mag for extraction. Your mags aren't going anywhere unless you want them to.

Being kydex, the Scoprion keeps its shape when no magazine is in, making it easy to get mags back in.

Price and Ordering
These mag pouches can be ordered directly from G-Code and are custom made to order. As such it takes quite awhile; two months from order to delivery in my case. The Scorpion sells for $28 USD which at a glance makes it $6 USD cheaper than the Taco but unfortunately that price does not include a mounting option. The MOLLE mounting strips are an additional $14.50 for an eye watering total of $42.50 USD per pouch. The Scorpion is available in Coyote, Black, and OD Green.

Scorpion vs Taco
It's been rare but over in my two years of airsofting with them, I have lost a couple of magazines from my Taco pouches. The Scorpion seems to have better retention which I would not have thought possible. While you certainly get used to it after awhile, getting mags back into Tacos can be a bit of a pain and is easier with the Scorpion. Mounting the Scorpions was about a million times easier than the Taco with malice clips.

The Taco on the other hand is also a high quality pouch that is less expensive and very versatile in terms of magazine compatibility.

TLDR
Scorpion is sexy, with high quality build, excellent retention, easy mounting, and functions well.

It's also expensive and less versatile than a Taco. Probably no reason to switch if you already have Tacos.

Last edited by brock0; January 16th, 2016 at 21:29..
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews